Sign in with
Your question

Need advice about 120hz monitor and cable

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 3, 2012 7:44:08 PM

I'm going to buy a Samsung 2233rz monitor but I'm going to use it on a Acer notebook with nvidia GT330m GPU which has only HDMI and VGA ports. Afaik the monitor has DVI-D and HDMI ports.
You can say that I can easily use it through HDMI but HDMI can't support 120hz so I'm basically wasting my money if I do that.
So is it possible to use it with a DVI-D to VGA cable/adapter/converter at 120hz and without some input delay or other problems.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to your replies :bounce: 
P.S I'm really sorry if I posted in the wrong category but I'm pretty sure that this fits my problem perfectly
a c 229 U Graphics card
a c 78 C Monitor
April 3, 2012 9:03:48 PM

I don't think VGA has enough bandwidth to supply the necessary signal. I'd be looking at something like the Clevo W860CU or P170HM-3D to drive that bugger.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5815&r...

I think the 330 would have trouble keeping up with the load at 120Hz in most of today's popular games.....I also that I believe that monitor has been discontinued.

Might wanna consider this 1920 x 1080 model which is the same price (when both are bundled w/ 3D glasses option)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 131 C Monitor
April 3, 2012 9:09:50 PM

synd said:
I'm going to buy a Samsung 2233rz monitor but I'm going to use it on a Acer notebook with nvidia GT330m GPU which has only HDMI and VGA ports. Afaik the monitor has DVI-D and HDMI ports.
You can say that I can easily use it through HDMI but HDMI can't support 120hz so I'm basically wasting my money if I do that.
So is it possible to use it with a DVI-D to VGA cable/adapter/converter at 120hz and without some input delay or other problems.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to your replies :bounce: 
P.S I'm really sorry if I posted in the wrong category but I'm pretty sure that this fits my problem perfectly

An adapter will not help, as the the HDMI connection will still limit the signal.
!