Sign in with
Your question

Abnormally hot AMD 1100t CPU??

Last response: in Components
September 29, 2012 1:22:56 AM

Hey everyone. I am running an 1100t BE 6 core @ 3.2 ghz and it idles around 51c Under load it gets to 60 or so before I quit playing out of fear. Is this abnormally hot? I have very good air flow in my HAF 912 which confuses me even more. My only though is my back 120mm fan is a lot faster than any of my intakes and maybe is creating suction which is keeping air from getting to the fan on my cpu cooler? Let me know :) 
Thanks, -AW
September 29, 2012 2:01:16 AM

51C at idle seems high.
What cooler are you using?
m
l
September 29, 2012 2:08:45 AM

Is the 60C package or core temperature? 60C core temperature under load would be perfectly fine.

The high idle temperature could simply be due to (very) low fan RPM while idle.
m
l
Related resources
September 29, 2012 2:55:53 AM

I hope you linked the wrong cooler because the stock cooler that comes with the phenomII x6 is better than that.
m
l
September 29, 2012 3:02:40 AM

If that is the cooler you are using that would be your problem. According to the specs it is not even for your CPU. Just because it will fit the socket type does not mean it will give adequate cooling for your CPU. Unless you got an OEM CPU I would remove that cooler clean the cpu of any residue TIM reapply the TIM and put the stock heatsink/fan on and you should see a good improvement in your temps.

If you got a OEM CPU then you need to get a heatsink/fan that is for a Phenom II 6 core ASAP.
m
l
September 29, 2012 5:25:34 AM

gorz said:
I hope you linked the wrong cooler because the stock cooler that comes with the phenomII x6 is better than that.

Are you serious? I feel like a moron :p 
m
l
September 29, 2012 5:27:45 AM

And the link is correct. Sigh, when I built this computer I really didn't know what I was doing as it was before I got deep into PC enthusiast stuff. I never thought to go back and check I just assumed it worked better than a regular one.. I'm changing that most likely TONIGHT. Thanks guys XD. I feel dumb, but at least I'm always learning. :]
m
l
September 29, 2012 5:31:43 AM

Quick next question... Since I could put the stock cooler on, I'm tempted to just get a hyper 212 to get extra awesome cooling. Do you think it's worth it? Only like 20 bucks.
m
l
September 29, 2012 6:04:00 AM

Go for it. They are a great value at $30 already. It will provide enough cooling to take that phenom to 4.0ghz.
m
l
September 29, 2012 6:06:40 AM

Installed the stock cooler and idle temps went from ~50 to around 36 C! Woo! Ill probably still get a hyper but I am just afraid of losing my cpu so I installed the other cooler for the time being.
:) 
m
l
!