Sign in with
Your question

Asus HD 6850 problem.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 3, 2012 8:32:55 PM

Hi all,

so I bought a new display a while back

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...

and started enjoying my old games on a bigger and higher res screen. I couldn't get the Nvidia 210 much higher than 1366x768 so thought I'd try another graphics card. To do this, I got a new PSU (Antec, very good it seems :)  ) and mail ordered an Asus HD6850 which was the same price as the 550ti.

Anyhow, I un-installed all the Nvidia package (drivers etc.) took the card out, put the new one in. The computer started up, Windows popped up that it was searching for drivers, and all seemed good.

BUT, none of my games will play, some start up recommending highest settings, others seem to set the lowest because they probably don't recognise the card (at a guess). They all load up, then either crash or have no picture at all (just a black screen).

I tried un-installing the auto driver, and installing the catalyst package, makes no difference.

Now, I realise the card might be a bit over-the-top for such a basic system, but can anyone think of a reason why I'm having this problem?

It's all a bit coincidental though, because with my last desktop I had exactly the same problem and never resolved it. I put the ati card in another system in the end and it worked flawlessly for 4 years.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Asus P5G41T-M LX http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5G41T...
Pentium DC E5800 (2 x 3.2)
Antec VP450 http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=Mjc4Mg==
Sound card, 1 HDD, no other kit.
4 gb RAM, Windows 7 pro (32 bit)

b.t.w. I could get a bigger PSU, but the system ran on a 300w fine, so I figured 450 would be enough. The online calculator suggested 390 minimum.

I don't think it's a power supply issue, although it was disappointing to discover the latest Asus 6850 has two x 6 pin sockets??

More about : asus 6850 problem

April 3, 2012 9:24:03 PM

On the AMD website it recommends a PSU of 500W or higher for the HD6850.
April 3, 2012 9:31:43 PM

BadBanshee said:
On the AMD website it recommends a PSU of 500W or higher for the HD6850.

Yes, I know that. I went with the 450w as I was intending to get an Nvidia card rated at 400w. However, my system (before the new card) ran fine on a cheap 300w and the Antec 450w/Corsair 430 are all known to run 6850s. Better quality PSUs, if you believe what you read, are generally rated a little under their full power.
However, I know what you mean... :??: 
Related resources
April 3, 2012 9:37:22 PM

Just saying.. That Antec isn't a "better quality" psu..
Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 3, 2012 9:42:19 PM

gary1 said:

:o 
quite bogarting the bong and pass it.
April 3, 2012 10:00:07 PM

gary1 said:

OK. So maybe not, except it was recommended on hardware secrets and they got it up over 500w easy.
Anyway, I don't think it's a power issue, unless I really DO need 2 x 6 pin connectors and using one of them off 2 x molex adapter is a no-no.

I'll happily buy a 600w from any manufacturer if it'll help.

Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 3, 2012 10:06:14 PM

hold it. are you saying you have only ONE 6 pin pci power connector?
April 3, 2012 10:11:27 PM

Anonymous said:
hold it. are you saying you have only ONE 6 pin pci power connector?

My psu only has 1 x 6 pin. The other 6 pin is coming from a double molex adapter. The tech support at the company that sold me the Radeon card said to do this and NOT just run it off one.
Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 3, 2012 10:14:44 PM

ok. just checking.

i am wondering if your problem isn't related to your Pentium DC E5800. that could be a sever bottleneck but not sure.
April 3, 2012 10:25:13 PM

Anonymous said:
ok. just checking.

i am wondering if your problem isn't related to your Pentium DC E5800. that could be a sever bottleneck but not sure.

Well, I know for sure it's not a great cpu. However, you can get up to 1600x900 on my current (old) games without crashes (using the G210 card) it's just the action is a bit unsmooth. :??: 

I don't really understand much about it all really.
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
April 3, 2012 10:35:41 PM

I would download nvidia drive sweeper install it and run it in safe mode to make sure all the registry entry for the old video card are gone.
April 3, 2012 10:40:43 PM

You can hook up the card that way (odd as the 6850's I have seen all used 1x6 pin power supply connector) but probably for overclocking, they added a second one to your version, sure.

I would be surprised you are using all 18amps of both of your rails, but you might be dividing the power improperly, or worse you have one molex from rail 1 and you added one molex from rail 2. You could try moving your 6 pin power connector to a different set of molex connectors (down the same line please) and try again. Also, you can try switching the order of your 6 pin genuine connector with the adapted one. It is likely the card will draw from one connector a bit heavier than another.

Folks this is mostly the reason I suggest single rail power supplies when I suggest power supplies. Unless you are getting something beefy and able to handle 1000 watts plus. Your future upgrades will thank you.
April 3, 2012 10:41:26 PM

Also, would it be worth trying an older version of the catalyst package.

The one automatically selected has only been out like 6 days!? and that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I'll certainly try the driver sweeper too.

(could be a long day tomorrow............)
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
April 3, 2012 10:43:32 PM

i looked at your mb saw that it had onboard video chipset. windows may have glitched an tried to set the intel onboard graphis as the main one for the system. look under device mander and see if you have one or two video cards listed. it you have two then tell windows to disable the intel chipset you may have to do this in the bios. also check in the bios that your telling the pc to boot from add in video first.
April 3, 2012 10:51:04 PM

mickey21 said:
You can hook up the card that way (odd as the 6850's I have seen all used 1x6 pin power supply connector) but probably for overclocking, they added a second one to your version, sure.

I would be surprised you are using all 18amps of both of your rails, but you might be dividing the power improperly, or worse you have one molex from rail 1 and you added one molex from rail 2. You could try moving your 6 pin power connector to a different set of molex connectors (down the same line please) and try again. Also, you can try switching the order of your 6 pin genuine connector with the adapted one. It is likely the card will draw from one connector a bit heavier than another.

Folks this is mostly the reason I suggest single rail power supplies when I suggest power supplies. Unless you are getting something beefy and able to handle 1000 watts plus. Your future upgrades will thank you.

Forgive me for being stupid, but if I have 2 pairs of 2 x molex (one pair up by the DVD drive and another towards the bottom of the case) how would I be able to ascertain if one pair was better than another?

t.b.h. I kind of annoys me that it came with 2x6 pin requirement......the card is supposed to need 127w or something.......

anyway, could it be a power issue at all?
April 4, 2012 8:10:11 AM

FIXED!

Firstly I used REVO uninstaller in Advanced mode to remove all packages listed under "programs and features" (old add/remove in control panel).

Then, I went back and did it all again, only this time I did NOT connect to the internet and let windows install a driver.
I did NOT hop over to Radeon and download the latest CCC 12.3

What I DID do was install the driver from the disk that came with the card. Version 8.861 is the driver listed at ASUS b.t.w.

Now I knew things were different immediately as when I started a game rather than the pop-up window/settings detecting Radeon 6800, it detected Asus EAH6850.

Anyway, tested and ran M.E. Dragon Age, HL2, even Fallout 3 (vista comp mode) works a treat. Full 1080p across the board except it seems to make the oldest games worse in all honesty.

- - - - - -

2 last things - there are still Nvidia folders left on my C drive (with contents) - can I just delete these or leave them if they not causing trouble?

and finally, THANKS to everyone who helped with this thread or the original one. Compared to where I was a month ago (playing games at 1024x768 on 19" 4:3) and where I am now, it's been great to have support.

- - - - - -

Dave :) 
Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 4, 2012 8:15:36 AM

good for you. :) 
yes just delete the nVidia folder, you no longer need it.

April 4, 2012 9:29:41 AM

Anonymous said:
good for you. :) 
yes just delete the nVidia folder, you no longer need it.

Consider it done. I can't quite understand why it (and it's contents) are still there. REVO seems to do a great job of finding hidden files/folders when it uninstalls programs.

I'm very relieved to be honest.....I was fearing the worst and that I'd need to save the card in a box until my next desktop build, which is not for a year and a half at least.
Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 4, 2012 9:57:48 AM

a year and a half? well just in time for haswell :lol: 

i'd suggest looking out for a core2quad but not with that power supply. a E8500 could be a bit of a waste to upgrade to.

have you tried to overclock that 5800? a decent cheaper aftermarket heatsink like the CM Hyper 212+ even with the limitations of the G41 chipset you could get up to 3.7 on the cpu.
April 4, 2012 4:23:24 PM

Anonymous said:
a year and a half? well just in time for haswell :lol: 

i'd suggest looking out for a core2quad but not with that power supply. a E8500 could be a bit of a waste to upgrade to.

have you tried to overclock that 5800? a decent cheaper aftermarket heatsink like the CM Hyper 212+ even with the limitations of the G41 chipset you could get up to 3.7 on the cpu.

I shan't be upgrading this system at all...so Haswell could well be in the frame :p 

If I was doing it tomorrow, I'd probably go straight for i5 quad.

The plan would be to keep and use some of the kit I'm picking up now (like the monitor/gpu/DVD drive) on the new build. Definitively going SSD + HDD next time.

Also, and I hope someone else will read this somewhere in the world (after googling) but 100% getting modular PSU next time. :pt1cable: 
!