Phantasy Star Universe on Xbox 360 ??? (just a hint)

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,microsoft.public.xbox.live,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

IGN: Phantasy Star Online came out on GameCube, Xbox and PC. Why have you
decided to bring Universe to the PS2 instead of the GameCube or Xbox?

Miyoshi: At the time of PSO, when considering whether to develop for the PS2
or GameCube, we felt that we could release something of higher quality on
the GameCube, and so we made GameCube the main platform. And then, we ported
the GameCube version to the Xbox. However, for PSU, we felt that we could
reach a wider audience by moving over to the PS2 and the PC.

IGN: PS2 doesn't have a network program in place like Xbox Live. Has this
caused any problems?

Miyoshi: Xbox has stronger online capabilities for sure -- there's no
question about that. It might be okay to launch PSU on Xbox for the US
market, but not for the Japanese market. Knowing what Final Fantasy XI has
done in Japan with Online gameplay, I feel that the user base is there, so I
feel strongly that PSU will appeal to the PS2 audience. In addition, PSU
offers a tremendous amount of Offline content. Even with PSO, a lot of
people played mostly Offline mode. I would say something like 20% or so
played Online. However, for PSU we put a lot of emphasis on Offline to make
this a standalone Offline RPG -- that's the core of the game. In addition to
that, we added the Online features.

IGN: So is there an Xbox version under consideration?

Miyoshi: There's no plan yet. Although if we did it, it would be on Xbox 360
and not Xbox.

IGN: [rubs hands together in anticipation...]

Miyoshi: There are a tremendous number of Xbox users in America, so we would
definitely like to do it, although nothing is decided yet.

On 12 Sep 2005 12:51:57 -0700, "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote:

>His comparison to FF XI is interesting, I wonder if PSU will require
>the hard drive as well?
>
>- Jordan

more than likely, as online games of that nature usually require
regular patching and updating.
--

gamertag: chrisflynnuk
Live Line-up: To Be Updated When I Can Be Arsed.

In article <Ts-dnYLny4iFULjeRVn-sA@comcast.com>, <RSX> says...

> IGN: Phantasy Star Online came out on GameCube, Xbox and PC. Why have you
> decided to bring Universe to the PS2 instead of the GameCube or Xbox?

Becuase alot of people don't want to pay for Xbox live _and_ phantasy
star subscription. The PS2 has a larger user base and no subscription so
it doesn't feel like such a bad hit for them forking out a fiver a
month. A 1% takeup of PS2 owners would be more significant than say 3 or
4 on the Xbox.

Bit like spamming really, hit the largest audience and hope.

TRENDING THREADS