Getting XP style icons back

I downloaded some of Microsoft's unsupported Power Toys
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx)
yesterday. After playing with these wonderfully undocumented tools, now all
icons on my XP system have reverted to the flat old style 2000 look. Even
when I open the Properties for an icon, select a new XP style looking icon
(from %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll), the icon doesn't change to the look
I selected, but stays with the old W2K style.

I am guessing that something in the "TweakUI" Power Toy changed a registry
setting somewhere to cause this, but I can't figure out which one.

Any ideas about how to fix this?

thanks so much for any help
1 answer Last reply
More about getting style icons back

    Hi XPicons,

    This is a known issue, caused by an incorrect data assigned to Shell Icon BPP registry value. Re-setting the Shell Icon BPP value to 16 resolves the problem.

    *First, try a System Restore rollback in case you've played with many other Tweak UI options*.

    If not, use the following steps to fix the icon issue:

    1. Open Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]

    2. In the right-pane, double-click Shell Icon BPP and set it's value to 16

    3. Close Registry Editor.

    To apply the change instantly, try this:

    a. Right-click Desktop, choose Properties, Appearance Tab.
    b. Click Advanced button, choose Icon from the drop-down list
    c. Set it's size to 33 and press OK.
    d. Apply the changes and then close the dialog

    Repeat the above steps (a-d) and set the Icon size to 32 (defaults). The icons are now rebuild, but they lost the custom positions in the Desktop.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "XPicons" <XPicons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:58B1A599-AD34-45C0-828B-FF921B006709@microsoft.com...
    I downloaded some of Microsoft's unsupported Power Toys
    (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx)
    yesterday. After playing with these wonderfully undocumented tools, now all
    icons on my XP system have reverted to the flat old style 2000 look. Even
    when I open the Properties for an icon, select a new XP style looking icon
    (from %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll), the icon doesn't change to the look
    I selected, but stays with the old W2K style.

    I am guessing that something in the "TweakUI" Power Toy changed a registry
    setting somewhere to cause this, but I can't figure out which one.

    Any ideas about how to fix this?

    thanks so much for any help

Configuration Style Windows XP