Sign in with
Your question

Best 300 to 400 dollar Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 3, 2012 9:30:16 PM

I have a 750W Rosewill Capstone PSU and I plan on getting the new intel 3570k ivy bridge (which is supposed to be equivalent to the 2500k sandy bridge), along with up to $200 to spend on a Mother Board. This leaves me with around 300 - 400 left for a Graphics card or dual graphics card set-up.
I was looking into buying 2x Asus 7770's which had pretty good fps stats at $320. I am open to any suggestions, and I won't be completing this build until sometime between may and mid-june so I can wait for new graphics cards to come out. I know that new NVIDIA cards will be out by then, so maybe they will be a better option. I would rather not go much above the $400 cap (I might go to $460).

I hope that you guys can help me make a good choice, and thanks to anyone who responds.

Any opinions are welcomed, but I would really like if you had some data such as FPS postings to back it up.

Kuro
April 3, 2012 11:20:39 PM

freddy1765 said:
I'm getting a Gigabyte HD7870 in a few weeks once prices have (hopefully) dropped a bit.
Price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Review:
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/...

That looks promising. I wonder how it will compare to the 660 and 660ti. Also I forgot to mention that since I was going with the new ivy bridge, I would be rather stupid not to get a PCI 3.0 card. I guess we will have to wait and see until some benchmarks come out, but I have heard rumors that there won't be much a significant difference from cards running in 2.0 vs. 3.0. If anyone had any comments on that matter feel free to mention as well.
Related resources
April 3, 2012 11:31:19 PM

Yea I've heard the same, apparently 16x 2.0 bandwidth is still faster than any current GPU.
I'd wait for 660/660ti as well, but I read those don't come out for months :/ 
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 11:51:35 PM

Go for a 650W Capstone(or less), a $160 mobo so you can get the GTX680.
-Bruce
April 4, 2012 3:18:26 AM

dish_moose said:
Go for a 650W Capstone(or less), a $160 mobo so you can get the GTX680.
-Bruce

I am sorry if you misread, but I already have my PSU. I know that the 680 is supposed to be the best Graphics Card available, but I think that $500 is a bit out of my price range. I really would like to try to get something in the $300's still if at all possible. Though I have to admit that I will lean more towards quality than lower price.
April 4, 2012 3:22:25 AM

kuro16 said:
I am sorry if you misread, but I already have my PSU. I know that the 680 is supposed to be the best Graphics Card available, but I think that $500 is a bit out of my price range. I really would like to try to get something in the $300's still if at all possible. Though I have to admit that I will lean more towards quality than lower price.

gtx680 you wouldnt regret the gaming experience.
April 4, 2012 3:23:39 AM

freddy1765 said:
Yea I've heard the same, apparently 16x 2.0 bandwidth is still faster than any current GPU.
I'd wait for 660/660ti as well, but I read those don't come out for months :/ 

I don't know how reliable the source is.... jk.... but it says that the 660 is coming out April 12 and that the 660Ti is coming out Q2/Q3 of 2012... whatever date that means.... So I guess the 660 Ti would probably not be in consideration, because I would like to have my computer up and running by June.
April 4, 2012 3:28:18 AM

sorry here's the link:
April 5, 2012 7:47:09 PM

One more thing, I noticed that on this link that they gave the pricing for the 680 to be at $650 and the 670 to be at $500. Obviously even the most expensive 680 cards don't go much above $500 from what I have seen, which makes me question the supposed prices of the rest of the cards. Well, I am sure I will have my answer in the coming months as to their actual pricing, and hopefully some more info on the 640, 650, and 660 as they supposedly should come out soon. Also, since I really do want to have this build up and running by June, I was wondering if anyone had any input on the supposed availability of these cards. I noticed that the 680's were sold out practically instantly after the release and they seem to be impossible to find now. Will the same thing happen when the 640, 650, and 660's come out, and if it does how long do you think I would have to wait to for them to become available again?
a c 92 U Graphics card
April 5, 2012 7:55:23 PM

the 580 is pretty cheap now, you might be able to get one for under $400 once the 670 comes out.
April 12, 2012 9:08:45 PM

esrever said:
the 580 is pretty cheap now, you might be able to get one for under $400 once the 670 comes out.

According to this source:
http://videocardz.com/31551/geforce-600-roadmap-partial...
The 670 and 670ti should be coming out this may, which is in my time-frame. Honestly with the posted price of these two cards and the supposed performance, I would probably look at one of these over a 580, even if the price of 580's drop. This is mostly due to me feeling kinda dumb by getting an Ivy Bridge processor, but not even getting a PCI-E 3.0 card; though I know the supposed gain from PCI-E 3.0 shouldn't be that significant, it still might be enough to overcome the edge (if any) that the 580 would have over the 670 or 670ti. Thanks for your opinion though and I look forward to looking at some benchmarks of these cards.
a c 92 U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 9:24:34 PM

pci 3 offers 0. theres nothing it gives really.
April 12, 2012 9:26:28 PM

Also, I noticed that the 680's run pretty dang hot (around 75 degrees Celsius under load), so this sorta concerns me not only about the 680's, but other models such as the 670 or 670ti.

I never really stated my purpose for this build before, but pretty much I just want something that can run a game like Battlefield 3 on DX11 on medium to high graphics on my 40", 60 hz, 1080p screen, at 1920 x 1080 resolution. Also, I plan on not changing my build much, if at all, for about 5 years... and I know there really is not future proofing or anything, but I just probably won't be able to afford anything more until then (but if I could I suppose adding another card in SLI would be a bonus).

Really though, I was just wondering if a card running that hot under load would even be able to survive a 5 year time-frame; would a equivalent Radeon card that supported my needs run at lower temps; or if I am that concerned about heat, should I look into liquid cooling my graphics card and consider that into my budget. Any opinions on the matter or personal experience from previous generations of cards would be helpful.
a c 92 U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 9:31:13 PM

the heating really shouldn't be a problem but it could get worse over time so I'd. Many people run their cards 90C under load no problem so its really just preference imo.

I would say the 7870s are pretty good for what they offer from AMD if you do choose AMD.
April 12, 2012 11:07:30 PM

esrever said:
the heating really shouldn't be a problem but it could get worse over time so I'd. Many people run their cards 90C under load no problem so its really just preference imo.

I would say the 7870s are pretty good for what they offer from AMD if you do choose AMD.

Thanks for the info. I guess I am just scarred regarding overheating issues after I had my gaming laptop. The guy who fixed it basically said that the graphics card was "melting the motherboard". I went through 2 motherboards and the third one has been working ok, but I don't push the laptop as much as I used to, especially since it is too old to even play a lot of newer games anyway.

I will look into the 7870's and see if I can find any more info on running graphics cards at high temps as well as any wear and tear issues from doing so. I have to admit though it is hard to gather data about people using a graphics card set-up for as long of a time-frame (5 years) as I am hoping to use without upgrading; but I will remember to keep in mind that as long as the graphics card can handle it high-temps shouldn't be a problem.
May 30, 2012 3:40:25 AM

After much self-debate I finally settled on a graphics card. I decided to go with the Asus GTX 670 DC2T. I decided on this card after reading the review on tech power up (http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...) and after I found out that the GTX 660Ti won't be available until around September. The card cost me $430, which was a little out of my price range, but hopefully this price over whatever the 660Ti's price will be (supposed to be around $250) will be justified by the quality difference. I was very surprised to find that there wasn't much of a step down of quality from the 680 to the 670, and that the card that I bought actually outperforms a reference 680 card in some circumstances. Honestly, I am very new to the high-end computer gaming stuff (upgraded from a 2006 hp with a Radeon 5770 in it) so I don't think I will be of much help when it comes to reporting on overclocking or anything; but if I do experiment with it successfully I will be sure to update with a reply. (The memory on the graphics card is supposedly not overclocked out of the box, so I will probably want to play around with that eventually). This was the last piece to my first computer build though and here are the specs of it (all currently based clocked):

CoolerMaster HAF 922 Case
Asus Z77 Sabertooth Motherboard
Intel 3570k Processor
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo with 2 x Scythe Ultra Kaze's (plus a Kaze on the rear Exhaust)
G-Skill Ripjaw-Z 2133 Mhz 4gb x 2 RAM
Rosewill Capstone 750W power supply
Mushkin 120 GB SSD
Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB
(and Soon) Asus GTX 670 DC2T

Thanks for everyone's help!
!