XFX 6950 How hot is too hot?

I have an XFX 6950. I have it oc'd through ccc. I noticed speedfan had a little flame next to my gpu with the temp at 63c, and a max of 71c. how hot should it be getting?
9 answers Last reply
More about 6950
  1. I wouldn't let it get above 85-90. GPU's have a higher thermal threshold than CPU's do.
  2. ahumphers91 said:
    I have an XFX 6950. I have it oc'd through ccc. I noticed speedfan had a little flame next to my gpu with the temp at 63c, and a max of 71c. how hot should it be getting?


    I agree with gary, 60-70 is the temperature many video cards with stock coolers are designed to operate, the fact you are overclocking yours and are at 71 is fine. Catalyst control center is just warning you, most likely ccc will only allow you a certain level of overclock, its built to pretty much allow you to max it out without causing any issue. just don't overvolt it and the worst is likely artifacts and a reboot. in previous generations of videocards up to 100c was considered normal. 85c should be your limit, don't push it above that. have fun overclocking.
  3. ccc doesnt tell me anything. I downloaded SpeedFan and noticed the little flame next to my gpu and got curious.lol, I'm maxed on my clocks. 840 and 1300 and my dual fans are set at 60% with hardly any noise.
  4. ahumphers91 said:
    ccc doesnt tell me anything. I downloaded SpeedFan and noticed the little flame next to my gpu and got curious.lol, I'm maxed on my clocks. 840 and 1300 and my dual fans are set at 60% with hardly any noise.


    Speedfan sucks... but your temps are 100% fine

    Realtemp is better~

    http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089l/RealTemp_370.zip

    RacerX tool to enable higher OC's~

    http://www.techimo.com/forum/attachments/graphics-cards-displays/24384d1309553246-enable-higher-overclocks-ccc-reg-entry-racerx-v16.zip

    ...this tool is only for 6950's and 70's. It's pretty sweet and works well with Afterburner and/or Trix
  5. ive overclocked the hell out of my 6950, it gets tempermental approaching 80 degrees
  6. Whats the whole 2D default clocks with the RacerX tool? I was only using speedfan to see if I could find a program that would tell me my max temps. I use to use coretemp just for my cpu, then when I upgraded to th FX cpu coretemp didn't work right, temps were way off. I downloaded the AsRock extreme tuner and it had the correct temps. So I downloaded speedfan to double check to see if the temps were the same, finally they were. But the racerx tool looks good. I'm not to savvy on oc'ing the gpu, so I just kinda stuck with ccc.
  7. 2d clocks are what your gpu clocks to when you are just on your desktop, ie windows.
  8. neon neophyte said:
    2d clocks are what your gpu clocks to when you are just on your desktop, ie windows.


    +1 just go with what is default in the RacerX tool...
  9. RealTemp does GPU temps min/max



Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon GPUs Speedfan Graphics