Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Easy Question about applying thermal compound

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 3, 2012 9:40:46 PM

I just bought a new heatsink for my GPU. I was advised to buy this arctic cooler thermal paste. I noticed that the heatsink came with a thermal compound on it already. Should I remove that before applying my custom thermal paste, or do I just put this right on top of it?

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 9:53:06 PM

The arctic silver will be of slightly higher quality, and you'll probably see slightly better temps. Since GPUs tend to run hot, I'd recommend using the arctic silver.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 9:59:25 PM

Always remove old compound (or new if you hare replacing). The Arctic Silver site has complete instructions on how to prep and apply the paste.
Related resources
a c 140 U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 10:06:02 PM

If you decide you do not want to use the thermal paste that it pre-applied to the heatsink, you will need to remove it before applying the new thermal paste.

-Wolf sends
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 10:06:40 PM

Plus there are a lot of videos on how to apply/remove thermal paste. You might not need the best stuff unless you're thinking of overclocking a lot but always get an after market thermal paste with good reviews even if it's not from a top brand like Arctic Silver or Noctua
m
l
April 3, 2012 10:12:00 PM

Best answer selected by Flo10101.
m
l
!