Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Which Version of Windows 8 should I buy?

Last response: in Windows 8
January 24, 2013 9:27:14 PM

Hi I am building a new computer and have come to the decision that I should get windows 8. I have no current os but all of the copies of windows 8 are either OEM or say upgrade such as this one for example (http://www.journeyed.com/item/Microsoft/Windows+8/15499...). I am wondering if that one that I linked or one like it will give me a full non-OEM version of windows 8 without having to upgrade from an earlier version of windows or if I am forced to go with an OEM version because I have no earlier version of Windows to upgrade from.

More about : version windows buy

January 24, 2013 10:01:27 PM

That version that you listed is an upgrade only copy. If you want to get Windows 8, you are going to have to get an OEM/System Builder copy of Windows 8 which will cost more.
Score
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
January 24, 2013 10:04:21 PM

The version I listed is a System Builder OEM full version.

... Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale.......
Score

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
January 24, 2013 10:04:25 PM

Go ahead and buy the OEM full version , because it's now transferrable if you want to upgrade or move to a new computer.Oem Windows 8 isn't tied to one motherboard for life anymore.You just have to keep it on one computer at a time.

License agreement for the transfer of a Windows 8 license
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.asp...
January 24, 2013 10:24:41 PM

Ok thanks good to know that they are being less stingy with using windows for a long period of time. The only reason that I am getting windows 8 is that my version of windows 7 is OEM to a shitty computer from best buy.
Score
a b * Windows 8
January 24, 2013 10:25:48 PM

Good luck with the new build and keep us posted.
Score
January 24, 2013 10:32:23 PM

Best answer selected by Rioisbeast.
Score
a b * Windows 8
January 24, 2013 10:45:29 PM

This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
Score
!