Windows 7 SSD Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
I want to install Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on a 64GB SSD. The most articles about Windows 7 installation on the net focus on SSD itself, but I wonder what to do with the existing HDD, before and after installing W7 on SSD. Since there are several software and drivers already on the HDD, I don't want to format it, but obviously I don't need to leave the Windows OS on HDD once it is installed on SSD. I guess I shouldn't just erase the windows folder there, since there are registries and other information related to the whole system functionality.

I have a retail version Windows 7 disk.

Solution
When I added an SSD I did a fresh install on the SSD but left the previous install of win 7 on the HDD. It doesn't get in the way, I still use the HDD as a storage/programs drive. Even some of the previously installed games run fine from the HDD. Leaving it there also gives you a bootable drive in case you have a problem with the SSD.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011

Additional/booting drive in a PC. The desktop PC currently has a 500GB Samsung F3 HDD, and I will keep it for main data storage.

If you have less than about 60GB of space used on your 500GB drive, you can use something like Acronis True Image to clone it onto your SSD. I have done that several times. If you also have a lot of data on your current C:, you'll need to temporarily clear it off.

larkspur

Distinguished
When I added an SSD I did a fresh install on the SSD but left the previous install of win 7 on the HDD. It doesn't get in the way, I still use the HDD as a storage/programs drive. Even some of the previously installed games run fine from the HDD. Leaving it there also gives you a bootable drive in case you have a problem with the SSD.

Solution

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011

Then how do you activate the Windows on SSD? Can you use the same key as in HDD even in this scenario? Also is there any issue when all existing drivers and registries are on the old HDD, not on SSD where the working OS resides?

No problem activating using the same key.
The existing drivers and registries on the HDD aren't an issue. To the OS booted up on the SSD the HDD is just another storage device.
It wouldnt take much to setup a dual-boot option giving you the choice of running Win7 off the SSD or off the HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.