rocky584

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
hi ,
i am wanting to buy a new laptop for pretty much entertainment . & i am stuck with 3 choices which is the better one out of the 3 can u plz suggest .

HP dv8000t series PC

1. Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2
2. Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo processor T2300 (1.66 GHz2MB cache ) or T2400(1.83GHz)
3. 17.0" WXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1440x900)
4. 256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7400
5. 1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM 533667 MHz (2x256MB)
6. 60/80 GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
7. DVD+/-RW/R & CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer Support
8. Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network w/Bluetooth
9. Lithium Ion Battery, 8 Cell.
the link to this one is given below
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto/computer_customize_components.do

HP dv8000Z series

The same configuration as above except for the processor & graphics card
1. AMD Turion(TM) 64 ML-40 (2.2GHz/1MB L2 Cache)
2. 128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM)

the link to the turion is given below
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto/computer_customize_components.do

HP Media Center zd8000 series with Intel Pentium 4 laptops with HT technology

Same as the first one except for procesoor & graphics card
1. Intel Pentium 4 processor 630/640 with HT technology ( 3.0/3.2GHz , 2MB L2 cache ) at 800MHz FSB
2. ATI Radeon X600 with 256 MB dedicated memory

The price of all the above is US 1250$

i am not really worried abt the battery .its not a problem . & . so now which one of the 3 is better for like gaming & multimedia purpose . can u sugest.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
3. an AMD Turion 64 ML-40 (2.2GHz/1MB L2 Cache) ,512 DDR SDRAM, 128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory.

rocky584 Everyone knows that AMD Decodes and plays back media Weather its games or Movies or Music, Much better than Intel0 .Lol AMD outdoes Intel In every Catagory. For Pure Media and Internet surfing purposes Go With AMD. And the Turion Will Take Up much less Battery than the other 2 you listed. So happy surfing and turfing.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
The Intel Core duo is the only way to go IMO. Having dual cores is like having two machines in one. The Intels have the best laptop boards on the market today by far. You wouldn't be disappointed.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
hi ,

2. an intel core duo T2300 (1.66GHz/2MB cache ) , with a 1.0GBDDR2 SDRAM (533 MHZ), 256 MBV Nvidia GeForce Go7400 ,

3. an AMD Turion 64 ML-40 (2.2GHz/1MB L2 Cache) ,1.0GB DDR SDRAM, 128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory.

The Core Duo (T2300 and T2400 @1.83GHz) will have significantly better battery life, and also has a far more powerful GPU paired with it. (If gaming is required, if it isn't then the GeForce Go7400 be a waste)

However, The Turion might be so cheap you can afford 2-3 batteries (total) for it plus a dual battery charger, and other upgrades to it.

I had to make the same decision awhile ago, but I won't bias your choice. :wink:

That particular Core Duo model has very good battery life.

The Turion ML series eats +40% more battery life than the Turion MT series. (Which still uses more battery life than that Core Duo model).

The Pentium 4 can empty a battery very quickly.

HyperMemory = Onboard system memory is used for graphics, which may or may not be a bad thing, if is saves enough dollars put those dollars into more batteries and RAM and HDD, etc

The X600 and X200 (HM200/300) all have very bad 3D performance, so if you will be gaming that isolates it to the Core Duo system with its GeForce 7000 series (lower mid 7000 though) card.

================================================

What size / resolutions are the screens ?

What size / rpm are the HDDs ?

Are you saying all the laptops have the same 17" TFT with 1440 x 900 resolution ?

I am seriously leaning towards the Core Duos here.

Note: Those links you provided are dead now btw.

kmjohnso

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I'd say even if you can get the extra batteries, go with the duo. One day you might find yourself on a 26 hr, half way around the world flight; and no amount of money will be to much for an extra battery..... unless you get an aisle seat or have the 4k for a first class seat, then happy dreams. Although if you're a traveler you might want something smaller.

kmjohnso

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I'd say even if you can get the extra batteries, go with the duo. One day you might find yourself on a 26 hr, half way around the world flight; and no amount of money will be to much for an extra battery..... unless you get an aisle seat or have the 4k for a first class seat, then happy dreams. Although if you're a traveler you might want something smaller.

pat

Expert
Actually, Intel has better mobile CPUs than AMD. In terms of performance and battery lifetime.

Nice objectivity....

Intel mobile does offer the better overall mobile (not true in desktop at this time).... Turion will run it a close second. If you are going to do a predominant amount of gaming the Turion will give you a better overall gaming opportunity.

Myself, I would go for the Intel as when I go on plane trips I like the extra battery life to enjoy a flick.

I have a turion 1.6 GHz and a friend has a P-M 1.6 GHz. Both in Acer notebook...

We did not test that much, but under load and stress, my turion seems to perform better in term of performance and battery usage. We did not test at idle thou..

So I call this a close match..

FOR OP..

you don't care about battery life? Good. Entertainement? everything rather modern will do. Game? Ah, that's what matter. Forget the CPU, get the best video you can afford and live with the CPU you'll have in it, unless it is a rather crappy Celeron or low end Sempron.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
The Intel Core duo is the only way to go IMO. Having dual cores is like having two machines in one. The Intels have the best laptop boards on the market today by far. You wouldn't be disappointed.

I'm still happy with my Acer TM4200. Core Duo, 1GB, 100GB, Bluetooth. The screen is the weak point, but considering it cost me $950, I can't complain. Very stable and fast. I'm seeing 3 hour battery life watching DVDs and longer when doing image or audio editing.

unbiased4u

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Definitely the first one. It is pretty good, although the graphics aren't that good. The last one has the best graphics, but the processor isn't the best....I'd choose the one with the best graphics, but the processor of the first one is great :) Since battery life isn't a concern, I'd goo for the last one, or change the first one with better graphics, if possible....

Hope that helps :)