Power Supply wont turn on when connected to Motherboard

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Motherboards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 29, 2012 12:51:44 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm in process of building my first rig and have everything assembled but can't get the PSU to supply power. I tried the paper-clip test and everything seemed to be working fine, but when I plug it in to the motherboard nothing happens. At this point, I'm kind of freaking out because I fear that the motherboard is broken. What I also considered might be causing it is, I bought all the parts from hardwareversand.de so, the plug for the power supply was one with 2 circular pins which wont work over here (Ireland). However, I've bought another cable which I was told would work, but it hasn't seemed to make a difference.

Any help, would be enormously appreciated!

Specs:

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K S1155 3.4GHz 6MB
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 XMP
GPU - MSI Radeon HD 7950
Motherboard - ASRock Z77 Pro 4 S1155 Intel Z77 DDR6 ATX
Storage - Crucial 256GB M4 SATA SSD
Case - BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower
PSU - Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Optical Drive - LG GH24NS70
Wireless Adapter Card - TP LINK 150Mbit-WLAN-Lite-N-PCIe x1-Adapter

More about : power supply wont turn connected motherboard

September 29, 2012 1:06:39 PM

Make sure that the power supply is rated for, and the selector switch (if there is one) is set to the wattage supplied from the grid (the wattage that comes out of your wall) I'm not sure if Ireland is different from USA. I know most Euro and Middle East countries for that matter have a different wattage coming out of the wall than we do here. Double check your connections to the MOBO (one big connector on the right side of your board, one smaller one near the CPU). Also be 100% sure that the cable that you replaced the original with carries enough power. That's all I can really think of. I hope it helps.
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2012 1:48:32 PM

Hi

as regularly said in FAQ for self builders
simplify your system system
If you have an internal graphics chip ( or on cpu) remove Radeon
remove wireless card etc

then most importantly check ATX 12V supply connected (4 or 8 pin) to motherboard
(do not confuse with PCI-E 12V cable but that will not fit 12V ATX socket)

finally is power switch connected to correct pins in motherboard?
(bypass switch using screwdriver to check for switch fault)

Power supply in Europe is nominally 230 VOLTS (not Watts)
some countries use 240V (UK) others use 220V (both are in range of acceptable voltage for nominal 230 V)

regards

Mike Barnes
September 29, 2012 2:00:13 PM

Mike,
Thanks for correcting me on Volts vs Watts. It's too early in the morning for my brain to be fully functional. Need more coffee.
I've had very few issues with a PSU. The only thing I could think of is that either there's a bad connection, or the board is not getting enough power to it. Often things that make sense in my head are gibberish when I try to explain it to others.
Related resources
!