CPU Overheating

xfusion

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I hate to join a forum and have my first post be one that is asking for help, unfortunately I'm in need of some help about my CPU. Right now my CPU is idling at about 48-49C, my house isn't exactly hot, and all the fans are running (CPU - 2678RPM). Is it possible that the fans inside the case aren't supplying the heatsink with enough airflow to draw away the heat that is generated by the CPU? I've already sent in my motherboard and CPU to by checked by the ppl that sold it to me and apparently everything is ok with the components.
The next problem, which I think is a result of having a hot CPU is that it's shutting down continually (usually after 2-3 hours of normal use and about 1 hour of vid encoding or similar usage). After the computer shuts down (which happens abruptly without warning) I have to wait a couple hours to use it again. I've checked over everything, and have also had someone come over to check it out, and everything seems to be working normally (except for the high temps).

My specs are as follows:
AMD 4800+ X2 Processor
A8R32-MVP Deluxe Motherboard
OCZ 2GB Platinum PC4000 RAM
Enermax Liberty 620Watt PSU

Thank you, and sorry again about my first post being a question.

RichPLS

Champion
You can download and run systool ver 649 from techpowerup to monitor and overclock if desired your CPU and graphic card...

I suspect your CPU may not have had its Heatsink seated properly... that is if your fans are spinning... and your case has decent ventilation...
With that it should idle around 40C and top out around 50C at full loads...
Make sure thermal pad is removed using qtips and alcohol.
Then apply a bb size dollop of Arctic Silver 5 and reseat.
The stock cooler should do better than you are getting...

xfusion

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
The case I've got is a NZXT Lexa. It's a sexy looking case with 3 120MM fans and a 90MM fan I believe at the top. The fans don't spin very fast though, there's hardly a breeze coming from them if you put your hand close to it (either sides). I've tried seating the heatsink 3 times, I can't imagine that each time it hasn't been installed properly especially since I used both the heatpad and then swapped it with thermal paste (some that came with a 2nd fan I bought - $50 down the drain). I'll get some Artic 5 and see if that'll make a difference.

Maybe it's the way I installed it...I put about a BB sized drop of paste on the chip and evenly spread it with my finger which I put in a clean plastic bag (grounding myself the whole time) then I put a tiny, tiny drop in the center and placed the sink ontop using the instructions from the manual.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I have the same CPU and my idle temp is around 35C and 50C under load. The stock HSF should be performing much better than what you are getting.

Some more information please, what is the ambient case temperature?

xfusion

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
~27C is what my temp monitor has been reading.

edit: Did you install it yourself, and how'd you do it? I just want to see if I did something wrong...3 times.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
If that case temperature is correct then it is very close to mine and you should be running at the same CPU temperature, assuming that you have not OC'd your CPU (which I have but not significantly).

I bought my CPU and MB locally and since they will mount it for free I had them do it.

It does sound like it is either the fan or the heatsink, what is the finish of the heatsink like? Have you considering buying a lapping kit and trying to get a better (flatter) surface?

xfusion

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
The surface of the heatsink isn't that great, it's not exactly what I expected. The aftermarket heatsink was even worse. I'm going to get some artic silver and attach the sink myself again, if that doesn't work I'll get some lapping & more advice. Lapping seems to me as though it could be tricky, you can't make an uneven surface or it'll be worse preforming than before. I hope using some new paste will work.

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
One other thing you can check (that might be a pain) is the orientation of your case fans. As in life, a ratio must be maintained between suck and blow. J/K

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Maybe dust and bad airflow. My old P4 2.0 GHz had 50c idle and now, 30c.

Check dust in heatsink cracks, if it is blocking, heat transfer can't be done.

pat

Expert
take the side pane off and play again. if it dont turn off, then all you need is better case vent. Even the best HSF wont make much a difference if air inside the case is still too hot ...