Driver stops working. Screen turns pink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedc

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Ever since I bought my Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti I've been getting occasional frozen black screens and returning with "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

This issue had stopped for a while until it came back but with a different effect. Instead of turning black and returning with the error message, my screen froze up and was covered in pink pixels. My computer would then immediately freeze and would require a reset. It only ever recovered once out of the 4-5 occurrences.

This issue started re-occurring when I updated my drivers to 296.10 and it seems to only occur when I'm either streaming videos (youtube, netflix) and when I'm playing League of Legends. I read on the LoL forums that it might be linked to Adobe Flash. I've already posted on the NVIDIA forums and I'm waiting for a reply. I'm just trying to get as much help as I can.

My specs are: Mobo: EVGA 750i SLI FTW
CPU: C2Q Q9550
GFX: Gigabyte GTX 560Ti (I believe its the OC version)
Ram: 2x2gb corsair XMS2 DDR2

Let me know if there is any more information that you require.

This is a picture of the issue that I took with my phone.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/540780_10150672934828791_695183790_9825284_1095763655_n.jpg

it not the video card it flash and firefox if your running firefox. the older version. I have an older 250 cards and sometime it happens to me too it depends on how they encoded the video on you tube and how java handles it. make sure dvix or your codex of chouse is up to date also that flash and java are both updated. and that if your using firefox or google that there both up to date. what it is is a glitch in how java uses hardware before it was all software.

mikedc

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

I've reinstalled Java, Flash and Divx... Java and DivX were up-to-date but I couldn't find my Flash version so I reinstalled it. I'll see if it helps.

No this problem only occurred while playing League of Legends or while streaming videos. As for the drivers, I'm not sure. I believe it was the latest driver before 296.10.

Werner_49

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
My card does the same. With games, videos and whenever it feels like it. Couldnt watch or play for 5min straight. I downloaded Ntune utilities. Its an overclock card! I underclocked it back to original 822mhz graphics clock instead of 900mhz. That too care of the problem completely for about a year. But it has started again. The place I bought it from just keeps replacing them with my 3year warranty (Was running two of them SLi) and had 4 replacement including the two Im waiting for :pfff: . Well Ntune might work for you its the most solid solution I got. Also try to update things drivers, windows, direct x Download at http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html Oh and Change Nvidia option to "prefer maximum performance" and not "adaptive" this is the default. But Its probibly better to not let an unstable card's voltage or power level to fluctuate

Status
Not open for further replies.