Sign in with
Your question

Rate my build! Ordering Tomorrow.

Last response: in Systems
June 3, 2012 1:02:56 AM

Hello everyone.

I am ordering this build tomorrow and wanted to get your thoughts before doing so.

Case: * Cooler Master HAF-X Gaming Full Tower Case w/ 1x230mm Fan, 1x200mm Fans, 2xFront USB 3.0 Port [+90]
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+15] (Blue Color)
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified) [+116]
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more) [+49]
Cooling Fan: Thermaltake FRIO Overclocking Cooler Fan (CLP0564) [+20]
Motherboard: [CrossFireX/SLI] ASUS P8Z77-V Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, Wi-Fi GO!, 7.1 HD
Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [+51] (Kingston HyperX [+16])
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+390] (EVGA Superclocked [+10])
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+439] (EVGA Superclocked [+10])
Power Supply Upgrade: 1,050 Watts - Corsair HX1050W 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+229]
Hard Drive: 120 GB SanDisk Ultra SATA-II 3.0Gb/s SSD - 280MB/s Read & 270MB/s Write [-13] (Single Drive)
Data Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+99] (Single Drive)
Sound: * ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channels PCI Xonar DG Sound Card [+29]
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)

Thanks!
June 3, 2012 1:40:09 AM

You could save a few bucks by knocking your poersupply down to an 850 watt unit. A good 750 watt powersupply is actually enough, but 850 still gives a good cushion..otherwise looks awesome
m
l
June 3, 2012 2:09:07 AM

The only other two parts that I'm wondering about are the cooling fan and motherboard. How do these look?
(I'm ordering off Cyberpower and I thought the fan and mobo looked decent)

Side question: This is my first time ordering off Cyberpower and I would like to go with a SLI setup. Since I have selected two video cards, would they set it up as such?

Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
June 3, 2012 2:24:05 AM

850 would be fine for tri-SLI. Your PSU IS overkill, though

Not sure if you need that mobo... seems overpriced. But okay.
For your RAM, do you know if you really want HyperX? Meaning, do you know what the change is?
PSU: Definitely overkill. You'd be better off with an 850, as GI_JONES said.
Sound card: ARE YOU SURE???? A lot of people make the mistake of buying a sound card. Do you need one? Meaning... are you an audiophile? If you don't know what that word means, you aren't one and you don't need the sound card. Your motherboard has integrated sound that is actually very good. The differences are so small, you wouldn't be able to tell unless you were in almost professional music listening (composing, DJ, etc.)

Everything else looks good.
m
l
June 3, 2012 2:43:50 AM

Thanks for the information.

The reason I went with the 1050 psu is because the display picture on their website was orange and only turned green when I hit 1050. So 850 is enough for SLI then? I'll adjust that.

I read that I should go with Kingston over Corsair and major brand however, correct me if I am wrong. I do not know what Hyper X is or the change...Would this be good for my gaming or not?

As for the mobo, the next step down would be the CrossFireX/SLI] ASUS P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3x PCIe x16 (2 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2 PCie x1 & 2 PCI.
Is this more than enough to run SLI?

For the sound card, I thought by getting a better sound card to go with my new speakers it would create a better atmosphere when I game. Would this be the case?

Any more help would be greatly appreciated!
m
l
Anonymous
June 3, 2012 10:16:33 AM

an onboard audio chip is fine for gaming. honestly that sound card will benefit in headphones but if your using speakers, it isn't doing to be *that* noticeable. but since its only a few bucks, no harm in getting it.

the GTX 670s do NOT draw that much power! they max out @ 164 watts each. a set up with a single 670 set up will run UNDER 300 watts a SLI will run under 550 watts.
but since you have 2 and each need two 6 pin pci power connectors, you do not NEED more than a 650 watt PSU. you can go WAY DOWN on that PSU. you won't be able to run TRI-SLI with that motherboard, well you can but at a slight performance loss with the PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black).

save yourself a few bucks, you're probably paying too much to have them put it together anyhow . . no offense.
the rest looks great, happy gaming.
cheers
m
l
June 3, 2012 11:57:24 AM

Great!

Just want to be sure, so the mobo I have selected is fine with running normal Sli unless I want to use three video cards.

Also, this is my first order off Cyberpower and I since I have selected two video cards in my build, will they set it up as SLI? (which is what I would like)

Thanks.
m
l
Anonymous
June 3, 2012 12:01:07 PM

it is a great mobo to run SLI on and as far as i know (AFAIK) they will. but never ordered from them myself.

got a phone number or email address to ask and make sure?
m
l
June 3, 2012 12:56:04 PM

Good to hear.

Another reply questioned my ram choice. I selected kingston hyperx, is this what I want or should I go with Crosair?

Also, for now I have selected 20% OC, would I be ok to go to 30%?
I heard that the Ivy Bridge may have some trouble with overheating and it was suggested to stick with 20% (or 25% but they dont offer that option).

Final question, I heard this term "micro stuttering" thrown around with having a sli setup.
Looking at my build, is this something I should be concerned with?

Thank you for your time and help.
m
l
Anonymous
June 3, 2012 1:16:03 PM

the hyperX is good ram, a review:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

as far as Oc'ing a IB cpu, it isn't about how much speed but how much voltage it takes to get there. heat doesn't get to be an issue until you go past 1.05 volts to up the OC. i would suggest just going for the minimum they offer then if you want to change it, you have an excuse to do a little more research to play around with things.

you put it very appropriately by saying, "this term "micro stuttering" thrown around". i haven't had a SLI set up so i really can't tell you but it seems that it gets mentioned more often than not when folks are talking out their arse. not saying it doesn't happen in some instances but i just don't think it happens as much as some folks believe.

glad to have been a help :) 
m
l
June 3, 2012 3:10:03 PM

One more question popped in my head before ordering...

What are your thoughts on CM HafX vs CM trooper? (I want the best cooling)

Which one would you go with?

Thanks!
m
l
Anonymous
June 3, 2012 4:17:28 PM

the trooper.
but if you saw my POS case i picked up at the curb . . . . i don't think you'd ask me. :) 
m
l
!