Huge Difference in Turbo Boost Usage - Why?

consultant1027

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
I've got a new Samsung Series 6 Laptop with a Core i5 2520M processer (2.5 Ghz) and a brand new Fujitsu Lifebook with an i5 2540M (2.6 Ghz) processor. I've loaded Performance Test and the Intel Turbo Boost monitor up.

The slower 2520M CPU gets a score over 3,000 and the faster 2540M gets a score around 1,700! Reason is, when running the CPU benchmarks, the Samsung uses Turbo Boost and the Fujitsu doesn't use it at all! But, I can see when I run BurnIn or Futremark PCMark 7, both machines run Turbo Boost and the PCMark scores are what I would expect.

It seems the CPU tests on Passmark Performance test are not rigorous enough to push the Fujitsu into Turbo Boost? This concerns me because if this is the case, then what is my average performance going to be when using the machine for work!? (I need to choose which one to keep!)

Turbo boost pushes the cores farther with less cores active.

Have you check to see the temps on both systems and the power settings for each.

If you run both systems with Prime95 and cpu-z you can see what they do(GHZ wise) under full load. If you take prime down to 1 thread the cores may go even higher and put the extra core to sleep.

Turbo also works on temps and thermal/power limits as well

HartTheDeer

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
i would keep the samsung. Turbo boost is turned on when mainly opening programs. I had a computer that had a 1ghz cpu (lame i know lol) but it had turbo boost up to 1.5ghz. That made a massive difference. When i opened a program the turbo boost would turn on and start that program. each time you open a program there is a cpu spike but it levels off after its start and going. The samsung you have the turbo boost is set to be more sensitive then the Fujitsu. Keep the samsung

This is somewhat incorrect. Turbo stays on as long as your temps are low enough, you are not on battery, and of course usage per core. There is no such thing as "turbo sensitivity." Power settings should not be an issue if it is still turboing in burnin and futuremark. You can check temps with hwmonitor or any other temp monitoring software.