Should I upgrade my case?

coper210

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Hello, I built my first gaming computer about 6 months ago and I really like it, Its fast and can play pretty much any game on ultra but the thing is that when I built the computer I was on a tight budget and was trying to save the most money I could so I bought a lower end case not thinking about looks, airflow or upgrading. I have a Rosewill Challenger case but I have a couple of problems, I do not really like the looks of the case and I am thinking of upgrading some of my components and I do not think it would be good to have a really good machine but have a crappy looking case, because that is what everyone see's when they look at your computer. another thing is that I do not think that the front fan sucks in enough air to adequately cool the whole system, and there isn't very good cable management options in the case either. and another thing is that I do not think there is enough space in the machine to do some of the upgrades that I am planning to do in the future. And also I have a lot of really expensive gaming peripherals like a razer deathadder mouse and a goliathus mousepad and a razer blackwidow keyboard and all of those things look really nice but its my case that makes it look low end. So do you guys think that I should upgrade my computers case or just stick to the one I have? I do not have a lot of money right now but I can save up for a couple of months and get a really nice case. And if you have any case suggestions let me know =)
Thanks!

SYSTEM:

i5 2500k
XFX 6950 2GB
Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68 Motherboard
650W Antec power supply
Rosewill Challenger Case
8GB 1600MHz G.SKILL SNIPER RAM

Solution
No problem,

In my opinion, if your budget is tight and you're faced with a choice between a better video card or a cheaper case, then it would benefit performance not to get the super fancy case.

However, you already have your system, with pretty decent specs, and like I already mentioned, a good case can last you many builds, NZXT Phantoms are a very solid investment. Yes, they're a little expensive, but I think they are well worth the price.

cranked

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
From the sound of your post you already have your mind made up, you just want someone to say yes to you.

So, YES!

Seriously though, your pc, what goes in it and what it looks like is something YOU have to see and work with everyday. If you hate the look of it and think you need more room, go for it.

I have the 500R and happen to think it's a great case. I was also looking at the Fractal Arc MIDI before I settled on this one. Others will recommend maybe the NZXT. There are many good cases out there. Find a couple you like and save your money and watch the sales, maybe you will find a good deal on a case you like.

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
I'm still uncertain as to what look the OP wants, though. Here are a few:

NZXT Phantom:
Phantom-PC-Case-Available-In-Three-Colours.jpg

PHAN-BK-GRB.jpg

Fractal R3. NOW, DO NOT BUY THIS CASE IF YOU LIKE IT! I'M SIMPLY ASKING ABOUT AESTHETICS! This case is made to be simplistic, so if you like the aesthetics, TELL US! This case is created for a silent build, by the way, which explains the price tag.
fd-definer3-all-large.jpg

fractal_beauty_lg.jpg

Now, here's a great case... the Corsair 400R! It's really a great, great case, but it's not created for aesthetics.
500r-2.png

corsair-carbide-case.jpg

Corsair-Carbide-Series-400R.jpg

Just look around for aesthetically pleasing cases, and if you find one, we'll help you find similar ones that have good performance. However, if you're more performance-oriented, tell us that, as well. Oh, and please tell us your budget... I mean, this is based around $100, but if you were willing to spend more.. well... :pt1cable:

EDIT: Oh, and do you want a side panel window?

coper210

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Wow all of those cases looks really nice, I like the look of the 400r and the phantom but the phantom doesn't have a front fan, do you think that will be much of a probelm? or are the two side fans intake fans? my budget is around $100 so the 400r and the phantom are perfect =)

coper210

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Does it have good cooling?

I have no complaints about the cooling. Based on your configuration, its cooling should be just fine. It has the 5 channel speed controller, but it only uses 3 of them by default (top exhaust fan with room for a 2nd to be installed, room to install one in the front, and side of the case), really no reason for extra fans with your setup though.

coper210

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

are the two side fans intake fans?

coper210

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

thanks for your help =) one more question, do you think that buying that case for my build is a little much?

No problem,

In my opinion, if your budget is tight and you're faced with a choice between a better video card or a cheaper case, then it would benefit performance not to get the super fancy case.

However, you already have your system, with pretty decent specs, and like I already mentioned, a good case can last you many builds, NZXT Phantoms are a very solid investment. Yes, they're a little expensive, but I think they are well worth the price.

Solution