Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

4870x2 2gb or 5770 1gb

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 4, 2012 6:32:40 AM

im looking to purchase a new graphics setup for my pc here in a week or so. ive been looking at cards on ebay and have kinda narrowed it down. im thinking i want a 4870x2 2gb or a 5770 1gb. i know the 4870x2 will run circles around the 5770, but how bad will i be hurting myself by not going with a newer card? im honestly just gearing up for Diablo 3, and i play SC2 and CS:S and L4D2 mostly, so im not too much up on the DX 11, and wont most of the newer DX11 games play on a DX10.1 card anyways? Just wondering.

More about : 4870x2 2gb 5770 1gb

a c 143 U Graphics card
April 4, 2012 6:46:16 AM

In this case, HD 4870 x2 all the way, make sure it's in a good condition.
m
0
l
April 4, 2012 6:49:46 AM

If your just going to play Diablo 3, SC2 and CS:S and L4D2 Then something like a GTX 460 1gb or 6850 will be just fine to max them games out with 60fps @ 1080P and The 4870x2 is not a good card at all it runs LOUD AND HOT !!! and requires allot of power and it only has DX10
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 191 U Graphics card
April 4, 2012 7:14:11 AM

I would say go for the 4870x2 if you can find it cheap. I personally found it to be a great card, my buddy had (and still uses) one.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2012 7:56:54 AM

depends on your power requirements and also your expectation with gaming as well as your budget
the 5770/6770 runs about where a 4870 runs by itself let alone a x2 setup

the 4870x 2 wille no doubt outperform a 5770
what is your budget? that will help alot dx10 is old news.
tbh dx9 or dx11 hardly anyone uses 10 still
dx11 will not play on dx10 card period.
m
0
l
April 4, 2012 8:31:34 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
depends on your power requirements and also your expectation with gaming as well as your budget
the 5770/6770 runs about where a 4870 runs by itself let alone a x2 setup

the 4870x 2 wille no doubt outperform a 5770
what is your budget? that will help alot dx10 is old news.
tbh dx9 or dx11 hardly anyone uses 10 still
dx11 will not play on dx10 card period.

Nobody seems to care or notice that OPs list of games he plays are all DX9 correct me if I am wrong D3 might not be
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2012 8:36:12 AM

if op wants old tech to play current games thats fine lets.see.a.buget first
m
0
l
April 4, 2012 9:30:33 AM

as mentioned above, keep in mind that the 48xx series are HOT, so MAKE SURE that the 4870x2 is in good condition.
I, myself, have a 4850, which was maintained pretty carefully (well, not too much, but not neglected), and in my coolermaster 690 +4 fans, it now stands on ~70 celsius IDLE.
thats crazy.
any new game i'm trying to play, it gets to 110 degrees celsius in a matter of few minutes, and the pc shuts down.
plus, I have put a fan on it and it's not enough - now its only less hot, but more noisy, and still almost unusable (except some old / weak games)
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2012 9:44:21 AM

either blow out your card or invest in a new one
m
0
l
April 4, 2012 9:51:33 AM

cloverst said:
as mentioned above, keep in mind that the 48xx series are HOT, so MAKE SURE that the 4870x2 is in good condition.
I, myself, have a 4850, which was maintained pretty carefully (well, not too much, but not neglected), and in my coolermaster 690 +4 fans, it now stands on ~70 celsius IDLE.
thats crazy.
any new game i'm trying to play, it gets to 110 degrees celsius in a matter of few minutes, and the pc shuts down.
plus, I have put a fan on it and it's not enough - now its only less hot, but more noisy, and still almost unusable (except some old / weak games)

You just have a bum card my 4890s in CF were hot but never enough to mess up proper functionality
m
0
l
April 4, 2012 9:54:04 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
if op wants old tech to play current games thats fine lets.see.a.buget first
Nobody needs 2 cards to play D3 Starcraft II and Valve Steam games that just as good as throwing away money on an near obsolete card that is 4870x2 plus a 560ti or 6870 is almost on par so ...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2012 9:54:57 AM

I run a 4870x2 with a triple slot cooler (goes like hell edition) and it rocks, isn't too loud, but does suck power I suppose (not that I notice).

It is easily capable of gaming at max at the native res of my monitor (1680x1050) even modern titles.

If you have a 24" screen @ 1080 you probably will still find it enjoyable and play with mostly high details.

I picked up my GLH 4870x2 for £65 ( or ~ $90US) a while back. Totally worth it.

m
0
l
April 4, 2012 9:30:43 PM

well my budget is around 200, and yes im not really too bent on getting DX11, as i dont have much that ill be doing with it, and from what ive heard D3 is going to be DX9c. the card is an OEM overstock 4870X2 as in not a CF but single card, dual GPU and its new in box. as far as cooling goes, my case is well ventilated with 5 120mm fans, and the CPU is on an H60 that pushes out of the case.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIAMOND-4870X2PE52G-Radeon-HD-4...


theres the link to that card. i have a 650w psu, and im running an A8-3870k with a single HDD and a DVD drive, so i have plenty of power. right now im running the integrated chip, had a 5670 but it crapped the bed on me and wasnt much better than the integrated im using now so i was thinking since im not going to use alot of DX11 games, unless something extravagant comes out here soon, i might just go with the 4870x2 unless someone can find me a pair of 5770's for around 170 shipped :lol: 

although i did find this as an alternative

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-ATI-HD5850-HD-5850-1GB...

would i be better with that?

edit: also, forgot, add fallout and skyrim to my games list.
m
0
l
April 5, 2012 1:44:09 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
depends on your power requirements and also your expectation with gaming as well as your budget
the 5770/6770 runs about where a 4870 runs by itself let alone a x2 setup

the 4870x 2 wille no doubt outperform a 5770
what is your budget? that will help alot dx10 is old news.
tbh dx9 or dx11 hardly anyone uses 10 still
dx11 will not play on dx10 card period.


truth be told, BF3 uses DX10, with options for dx11, as does skyrim and a lot of other newer games, sooooo ill be happy with DX10 for a while, and its used on games i play. so im thinking for now i might go with either the 4870x2 or the 5850 since they are around the same price and performance.
m
0
l
April 5, 2012 2:22:42 AM

matthews227 said:
truth be told, BF3 uses DX10, with options for dx11, as does skyrim and a lot of other newer games, sooooo ill be happy with DX10 for a while, and its used on games i play. so im thinking for now i might go with either the 4870x2 or the 5850 since they are around the same price and performance.

SKYRIM IS DX9
m
0
l
April 5, 2012 2:24:55 AM

matthews227 said:
well my budget is around 200, and yes im not really too bent on getting DX11, as i dont have much that ill be doing with it, and from what ive heard D3 is going to be DX9c. the card is an OEM overstock 4870X2 as in not a CF but single card, dual GPU and its new in box. as far as cooling goes, my case is well ventilated with 5 120mm fans, and the CPU is on an H60 that pushes out of the case.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIAMOND-4870X2PE52G-Radeon-HD-4...


theres the link to that card. i have a 650w psu, and im running an A8-3870k with a single HDD and a DVD drive, so i have plenty of power. right now im running the integrated chip, had a 5670 but it crapped the bed on me and wasnt much better than the integrated im using now so i was thinking since im not going to use alot of DX11 games, unless something extravagant comes out here soon, i might just go with the 4870x2 unless someone can find me a pair of 5770's for around 170 shipped :lol: 

although i did find this as an alternative

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-ATI-HD5850-HD-5850-1GB...

would i be better with that?

edit: also, forgot, add fallout and skyrim to my games list.

a 4870 is just a stupid buy if you are running games that run perfectly like you will be on one 4870 just get a 6870 man it has almost the same power of the 4870x2 and it is CF on board so micro stutter may be an issue.
m
0
l
April 5, 2012 2:55:25 AM

where can i get a 6870 for under 200?
m
0
l
April 5, 2012 3:18:28 AM

matthews227 said:
where can i get a 6870 for under 200?

anywhere the typically are going for $155
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2012 3:46:41 AM

yeah go do some research before telling me false info
m
0
l
April 5, 2012 3:54:23 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
yeah go do some research before telling me false info

What are you talking about prey ?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2012 8:45:49 AM

I have to say I am leaning toward agreement with the 6870, but only due to the price.

as I say I picked up my 4870x2 for ~$100 at that price it is a total no-brainer. but if you are spending $150-$200 then I would say it is worth getting a newer card with the similar performance.
m
0
l
!