I am getting 10mb lan instead of 100 mb

I have connected my Desktop PC with a Dell Vostro 1015 Laptop with CAT 5E cable. (No Router or hub or any other middle device). My built-in lan of Gigabyte 945GCM-S2C supports 100mb full duplex speed. And the laptop lan supports 1 gigabit speed.
As I want to backup large files on the laptop I need at least 8-10 MBps speed on transfer but I am getting only 1.12 MBps speed. I guess this is the problem of the lan, so how can I resolve the issue?
7 answers Last reply
More about 10mb
  1. Use a cross-over cable and set both cards to the same speeds manually (which would bee 100 duplex). Make sure you are not running other programs like a virus scan when you are doing the file copy.
  2. I did this but the laptop still shows 10 mbps,, the lan is RTL 8111D I guess...
  3. Are the drivers correct?
  4. arnob216 said:
    I did this but the laptop still shows 10 mbps,, the lan is RTL 8111D I guess...

Are you measuring megaBYTES or megaBITS?
  5. Well, I am getting 10 megabits (1.25 MB) instead of 100 megabits (12.5 MB)... Drivers are correct just I lost hope,, may be I have to buy a switch....
  6. arnob216 said:
    Well, I am getting 10 megabits (1.25 MB) instead of 100 megabits (12.5 MB)... Drivers are correct just I lost hope,, may be I have to buy a switch....

OK, was just making sure you were using the right measurement for speeds.
  7. If the settings are correct it very well could be a bum cable.
Ask a new question

Read More

LAN Laptops LAN Networking