Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Basic info on my Device:

Netgear WGR614v9
Serial Number 1SV6927N1CDA
Purchased sometime in 2009

I was trying to upgrade to the latest firmware: 1.2.30
(as is listed here).

Well after the update, I apparently bricked my router. The power light blinks green continuously, and the check mark is a steady amber. I've tried resetting it multiple times/ways (even these fairly extreme ways.

When I went to the website for support I found a PDF document called: "NETGEAR router firmware recovery utility".

That document suggested using the Routers resource CD. However I no longer have that CD. :(

I figured I could download it from their site. Nope! :( :(.

According the Netgear's site, they don't allow you to download the software b/c everything you need is onboard the device and so one need only access the router to get the neccesary softare. Except b/c I bricked my router I can't access the software on the device :cry: .

Can anyone help me out with this awful catch-22 I've found my self in?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks (in advance);

A (wireless-less) Bug :??:

P.S. I did notice on the firmware upgrade page this note about the Smart Wizard 3.0 application

Note: This firmware will not work with the old CD’s (older than CD version 2.0) which don't have the Smart Wizard 3.0 application.

net_guy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Friends, I am also experiencing the very same issue as 'A-bug' on the very same day. When I tried to update latest firmware given by Netgear 1.2.30 from my old one 1.2.6, this issue appeared. I lost my CD as well and any help to recover our routers will be greatly appreciated and thanked.

Cheers

Net_Guy

a_bug

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Trying Bump this topic b/c I'm so disappointed that no one has any solution (or even an offer of a solution).

When I did call Netgear they told me I was out of warranty, and so could not provide any assistance. After I expressed my frustration and exasperation, he said to come to this site specifically, and that I would find the solution I was looking for. And so far, nothing? Did i post to the wrong site? Is there somewhere else I should post? Or am I just SOL?

Please even if I'm SOL, I'd like to know so I can just take the hit and buy a new router. Not my first or second choice, but if i gotta, i gotta.

Here's Hoping someone can tell me something.

Thanks in advance (again);

a (getting sadder) bug :cry:

MysticMiner

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Well, this probably isn't the best site for your problem, I'm going to recommend trying the DD-WRT forums, the people there are used to dealing with your problems, at the least they can tell you whether or not it's possible to fix your problem.

a_bug

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

Net_Guy;

Were you able to to get this to work. B/c I did try that, but at every major step I failed:

>You should see at least a few replies from 192.168.1.1

I never did.

I even tried using TFTP software and again; fail. I won't discount the possibility of 'user error'. But I just never got the Master/Primary reset to do what it was supposed to do (or so I think).

I broke down and just bought this Cisco router that looks like its a good deal ($60), one that appears to work great, and even better my wife likes that it's black and sleek (so she's not 'embarrassed' to have it out in the open). It seemed like a good deal, so maybe its for the best.

one day i'll probably try and make my old router an Access point, but who knows, this new one seems rather strong and I've not even accessed the WiFi-N aspect yet.

I want to thank everyone for trying to help me resolve this issue.

I also want to apologize if i appeared ungrateful, and petulant. Especially b/c I only recently realized that I was not actually directed to this site to expect an answer but another one, that I was not actually able to access (to long a story).

So Thank you everyone,

A (back to WiFi) bug :)

dinyarr

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Dear Friend
I was also having the same problem a brick WGR614v9 and I followed the instructions from this site and succeded.:
http://www.novahq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46204
It took me some time to figure out the pings and commands but finally it worked and I hve an updated firmware 1230.
Regards,
dinyarr@gmail.com