Do I really need everything on a UPS?

zolomz

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Hi all, apologies if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't entirely sure. I was hoping someone could shed some light on a question regarding putting my system on a UPS. This machine doubles as something of a home server and as a htpc. All the literature I've read on getting a UPS seems to imply that I have to have everything connected to the computer running off a UPS -- the monitor, sound system, etc. I'm fairly committed to protecting these hard drives, so I'm willing to go as far to buy one of the intensely expensive UPS's that would match the hypothetical max power draw of the computer, the monitor, etc.... But, due to the nature of this machine also being something of a htpc, including all the components on battery backup would necessitate a huge UPS with a non-standard plug, and frankly I'm not even sure this house's wiring could even handle that.

But the thing is, I don't want a UPS because I want a chance to save all my work or whatever should the power go out. I just want one that will alert a daemon to shut the box down, run for the two or three minutes that it takes to shut down, and not risk damaging my drives. If I have every component running into the machine on good surge protection, heck, maybe even line conditioners, do I really need that? My feeling is no -- because I don't understand what use powering these peripherals is in the case of power loss (although I certainly appreciate the need for good surge protection). But literally every guide I can find seems to simply presume that I'm going to do this, so I didn't want to make any assumptions about something that important. Thanks!

Solution
You can plug the PC and other devices that must stay on until the PC shuts down on the UPS' battery-powered outlets and plug everything else on the UPS' non-battery ("surge-only") outlets.

The reason for connecting everything to the UPS is so all equipment shares a common ground to prevent surges from propagating from device to device as they might when connected to different outlets.

InvalidError

Titan
You can plug the PC and other devices that must stay on until the PC shuts down on the UPS' battery-powered outlets and plug everything else on the UPS' non-battery ("surge-only") outlets.

The reason for connecting everything to the UPS is so all equipment shares a common ground to prevent surges from propagating from device to device as they might when connected to different outlets.

Solution

negative0007

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
a UPS is the ONLY chance you will have to save your work if the power goes out.

I have a fairly expensive surge protector keeping an eye on my entire setup (huge screen, comp, receiver, etc.)

When the power craps out, it ALL turns off.

There is no chance to save anything.

There is no warning.

Besides keeping a constant eye on the weather, your only option is a UPS.

InvalidError

Titan

The OP's question got a little tangled.

I do not think OP asked if there was any other way of doing it... and there are other ways such as flywheel but that would not be practical in this context. What he was asking for was whether or not he had to plug everything on the UPS battery outputs. The answer to that is that only stuff that is required to safely shut down the PC needs to be on the battery outputs... stuff like the PC itself, at least one display, any USB hub powering external drives, mouse, keyboard and any other devices that may be required to operate the PC. Accessories like secondary displays/TV, sound system, USB hub powering webcams, phone/tablet chargers and other non-essential loads can be on surge-only (no battery) outputs.

negative0007

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
"But the thing is, I don't want a UPS because I want a chance to save all my work or whatever should the power go out."

Those are his words.

The only way he can save his work when the power goes out is with a remote power supply not dependent on the grid, that gives a warning: "***, the power is out, you have 1 minute to save everything!"

No battery backup=pc off when power is off.

Done deal.

InvalidError

Titan

And in the very next sentence after that, he says he wants one that will last for the 2-3 minutes that it may take for a daemon to shut down the computer.

His later statements saying he thinks he can make-do with surge suppressors and conditioners seem to refer to components aside from the PC.