Closed Solved

Want to install pci slot fan for cooling GPU(HD 6850)

Hello,
I want to install a pci slot case fan for cooling my HD 6850 which is idling at 52'C and 14k rpm(temperature in my city currently-36'C).I just wanted to ask-is this one okay?-

http://www.ebay.in/itm/DESKTOP-COMPUTER-PC-Turbo-System-Blower-Case-Fan-Cooler-/360446512335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item53ec494ccf

And whats the difference-

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Evercool-Fox3-Turbo-System-Blower-Case-Fan-Cooler-DC12V-/170814656926?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item27c558d19e

The evercool page doesn't give too much info on installation and compatibility.....and the Ebay seller is also not responding to my questions.......

http://www.evercool.com.tw/categories/global/cooler/systemcooler/sb-f3/fox3.html

So,I thought I would ask here.My system-

HP PC case - Mid-size ATX
Height: 38.7 cm (15.23 inches)
Width: 17.5 cm (6.89 inches)
Length: 41.4 cm (16.29 inches)
Bay Total Bays*
13.33 cm (5.25 inch) 2
8.89 cm (3.5 inch) 3
Pocket Media Drive 1

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about want install slot cooling 6850
  1. How is temps at Stress test?
  2. Havent done any stress test but temps while gaming for about 20-40 minutes are now close to 74-75'C while the case is closed and 67-71'C while the case is open.
  3. i really dont think your gonna get what u want out of these if you can afford it spend 50 bucks and get something like an antec 300 case and solve all your current and future heat issues is a hit. its a good case with good factory cooling
  4. But won't that void my PC warranty?Besides,on Ebay,an Antec 300 costs something like 190$.If you don't believe me-

http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=antec+300&_sacat=See-All-Categories
  5. I guess with that temperatures nothing's needed to be changed. I think this is the GPU's configuration where the fan will go down which results a quiet GPU. If you don't like the temperatures, you can change fan speeds with MSI Afterburner. :)

If you're looking for chasis/cabinet in india, I don't recommend ebay. Find a hardware e-retailers specializing computer hardwares and located in india (many are available, research it).
  6. Quote:
    you can change fan speeds with MSI Afterburner. :)

Just one last query.Will using MSI Afterburner void the warranty on my card?Or is it already void as i bought it from Ebay?

Quote:
    If you're looking for chasis/cabinet in india, I don't recommend ebay. Find a hardware e-retailers specializing computer hardwares and located in india (many are available, research it).

I did research.But the only reliable one I was told about was techshop.Is that better than Ebay for ordering a PCI slot fan?
    I don't want to upgrade my case as it will void the warranty(at least that is what I could understand by Googling).
  7. Okay,so I looked up the websites lynx,npithub,itwares,Junglee.Either they don't have the product or want payment by credit card.I don't have a credit card and don't want to ask anyone in my family for it.Even Ebay has refused to accept payment via DD.Please help me out in finding an Indian website which has the product and accepts payment via Cheque/DD.
  8. Sorry, don't know about that much details about indian stores, I am not in India so I apologize I can't answer that :).

I don't think changing the fan speed through MSI afterburner voids warranty... They shouldn't.
  9. amd catalyst can also oc and increase fan speed... 6850 temp on load is about 75c is normal
  10. Quote:
    amd catalyst can also oc

I can't and don't know how to overclock my card via Catalyst as my PSU (Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 460W) can't handle any overclocking and as it is,my processor bottlenecks my HD 6850 :( .And I want to know what would be a good idea-

1)Install a PCI slot fan(am haing problems finding one here,any help? :??: ).

2)Install my old 9400GT for Physx into a PCI-E x1 slot and thus lose all hope of retaining warranty on the card(as it is,Sapphire refused to send anyone when I faced some overheating problems with my card,they told me to send the card to them.But I feared that I might break something,so i tried it myself and it worked).Besides,I want to know some other aspects of this installation.I even wrote a post about it-

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=348488&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
  11. the moment you open your case you open yourself up for trouble with warranty, so if you have taken the side panel off and broken the seal your in trouble already!
  12. absxiith said:
    Quote:
    amd catalyst can also oc

I can't and don't know how to overclock my card via Catalyst as my PSU (Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 460W) can't handle any overclocking and as it is,my processor bottlenecks my HD 6850 :( .And I want to know what would be a good idea-

1)Install a PCI slot fan(am haing problems finding one here,any help? :??: ).

2)Install my old 9400GT for Physx into a PCI-E x1 slot and thus lose all hope of retaining warranty on the card(as it is,Sapphire refused to send anyone when I faced some overheating problems with my card,they told me to send the card to them.But I feared that I might break something,so i tried it myself and it worked).Besides,I want to know some other aspects of this installation.I even wrote a post about it-

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=348488&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

you cant just put the 9400gt in for physics, nvidia put a stop to that ages ago so unless you want to run graphics driver that are a couple of years old forget it, not to mention the 9400gt is so gutless (even when it was new tech) and has barely any compute power it wouldnt really make any difference anyways!!!!!
  13. Quote:
    you cant just put the 9400gt in for physics, nvidia put a stop to that ages ago so unless you want to run graphics driver that are a couple of years old forget it, not to mention the 9400gt is so gutless (even when it was new tech) and has barely any compute power it wouldnt really make any difference anyways!!!!!

Well,that answers it!i think it's better to go for the slot fan....
  14. Best answer
    dude if you have the amd drivers, you have amd catalyst controller installed... if not go to amd site and install it. you don't have to oc your card... its just an option it gives you.

open amd cataylst --> performance (left menu close to bottom) --> check box "enable manual fan" and change the fan setting 50%, 60%, 70%, 100% watch your temp drop.... this forces fan to stay at that speed, will not change according to temp(not auto).

if you have sapphire you can use trixx from there site... its like msi afterburner,
    you can also set fan controller to higher settings or automated settings (graph chart) like when temp gets to 70c fan speed at 75%, depends on how cool you want it.

increasing fan speed you will increase noise lvl... but as i stated before 70-75c for the hd6850 is normal on load. however your case is an hp mid-atx it might not provide the best air flow... so the extra fan may help.
  15. Best answer selected by absxiith.
  16. i hope is not considered as a necro ,

i want to just add in a piece of info .

i have AMD RADEON HD 6970 and the graphics card is from GIGABYTE

it has the 3x Windforce fans and idle temps are 55 around and any game gets it to 75+ and laggs while playing ...

The card cost me 2k dhs ( around 22k rupees ) and its sitting in the shelf now just after 8 months of usage )

i have black listed AMD products and GIGABYTE ....ASUS seems to have a good record so far ...

from all MY research online , NVIDIA GPU has atleast 75~ 78 % less customer dissatisfaction than AMD GPU !! ( personal analysis )
  17. Thanks for the info. :) I don't have much knowledge about high end NVIDIA cards,but I do know that my first (read later) 9400GT (from BIOSTAR,had no idea about the company while purchasing :) ) gave up just after 6 months of usage while my AMD HD 6850 is carrying on fine.It's been a year and I leave my PC on for more than 12 hrs everyday.:) Maybe,just maybe,you got a bad card from GIGABYTE(I have never purchased GIGABYTE products,because they are not easily available in my country :) ).Also,I could get my 9400GT replaced easily,whereas I had a tough time even contacting AMD for a few questions about my card.Just my opinion,hope it helps...:)
  18. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Cooling PCI Fan HD Graphics