Recommendations for a replacement long lens for a 20D.

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 18, 2005 8:36:05 PM

I bought a 20D and picked up a used 75-300 Canon Zoom with IS. I am
dissatisfied with the quality of the image from 200 -300 mm. I am thinking
of a prime lens of either 300 or 400mm and looking hard at the Canon 300 F4L
with USM and IS or the 400 F4L. Both are about the same price. I am
interested in hearing some pro's and cons from the "PROs with CanONs.

--
Rikk

website gallery: www.fleetingglimpse.com
biz: www.fleetingglimpse.net
blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fleetingglimpse/
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 12:29:51 AM

>I am thinking of a prime lens of either 300 or 400mm and
>looking hard at the Canon 300 F4L with USM and IS or the
>400 F4L. Both are about the same price.

I'm guessing you meant the 400 f/5.6 L since it's about the same price
as the 300, while the 400 f/4 L DO is a lot more expensive?

Anyway, I have the 300 f/4 L (non IS, alas) and my wife has the 400
f/5.6 L (which I borrow sometimes) and both are fine. The IS feature
is a big plus for the 300 (we have 500 f/4 L IS lenses which are
wonderful and couldn't live without IS on them), especially if you
shoot a lot hand-held or under less than ideal conditions for using a
tripod.

If you need 400 mm often then get the 400, if you need 400 just some of
the time get the 300 and a 1.4x converter, which will show very little
image quality drop off, though the AF will be noticeably slower with
the 300 + 1.4x compared to the 400. I use the 400 a lot for shooting
birds-in-flight and it's superb for that task.

Bill
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:30:19 AM

In article <6hVCe.10897$1Y1.10892@fe02.lga>,
"Celtic Boar" <extraneous@charter.net> wrote:

> I am
> dissatisfied with the quality of the image from 200 -300 mm.

What is it you are dissatisfied with? Sharpness, DOF, color fringing?

m-m
July 19, 2005 5:30:20 AM

Sharpness more than anything. Even on a tripod with a fast exposure it is
just too indistinct.

"M-M" <nospam@ny.more> wrote in message
> In article <6hVCe.10897$1Y1.10892@fe02.lga>,
> "Celtic Boar" <extraneous@charter.net> wrote:
>
>> I am
>> dissatisfied with the quality of the image from 200 -300 mm.
>
> What is it you are dissatisfied with? Sharpness, DOF, color fringing?
>
> m-m
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:18:00 AM

In article <HWYCe.3901$xR1.3693@fe04.lga>,
"Celtic Boar" <extraneous@charter.net> wrote:

> Sharpness more than anything. Even on a tripod with a fast exposure it is
> just too indistinct.

If it's good at shorter focal lengths but not sharp at longer, I would
tend to think it's motion blur or perhaps a problem with the autofocus.

Try a test shot from a table (eliminating tripod shake) of a still
object (eliminating motion blur).

m-m
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 10:04:19 AM

Celtic Boar,
Have you thought of the Canon 100-400L
f/4.5-5.6?
Unlike the 75-300 IS (its no better then
the 75-300)
the 100-400L is sharp at all focal
lengths, it also has IS which is really
needed for those low shutter shots. Of
course a prime will always beat a zoom
but a zoom will always beat a prime in
convience (to me).
Here is a shot taken with the 100-400L
at 400mm
http://photography.firstchurchofthestree
ts.com/wildlife/getting_lunch_delivered.
htm

wrote in message
> I bought a 20D and picked up a used
75-300 Canon Zoom with IS. I am