Sign in with
Your question

Cooler Master Hyper 212+

Last response: in Components
September 29, 2012 7:20:09 PM

I made a thread about this about 3 months ago when I first got the cooler. Throughout these 3 months I've seen really high temps. Granted I thought it was just it being hot inside my room, as the A/C broke. So I moved my desktop out into the living room for a week, still really no improvement. I live in Cali and its cooled down at night so my room is getting pretty cold, there is a difference but about 2-3C. My idle Ive seen go as low as 33-34 and when I'm playing bf3 or most games its always 50-60C which isnt good because the max temp on the AMD website is 62C. I have a AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE ( No overclock ). So I bought the same cooler yesterday and waiting for it to arrive from newegg, I'm hoping it was just defective. My question is, what is the best solution for applying the thermal paste to the CPU and cooler it's self.

Thanks in advance.
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2012 8:26:11 PM

50-60C is perfect! The cooler keeps the temp below the maximum and that is what it's made for. Or did you experience any temp related shutdowns?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2012 8:45:48 PM

That sounds a little high for temps. as my Phenom II x4 965BE with a stock cooler is running 31c idle and 52c max on prime95 for eight hours, and room temp. is 74F. I would think a coolermaster hyper 212 could do better than that. As far as applying thermal paste, go to articsilver website they have different way to apply thermal compound to differeft processors.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2012 9:14:45 PM

The 212 comes with thermal paste pre applied.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2012 11:00:45 PM

Uther39 said:
The 212 comes with thermal paste pre applied.

No, they give you the thermal paste, you have to apply it to your heatsink.

I have this Cooler and an AMD x4 955 BE no O.C and my temps are pretty similar to yours, 30 35 idle low load and 55 max under heavy load.

Maybe is time to change the Thermal paste, the cooler master one is kinda sticky, you can get the Arctic Silver 5 (Haven't tested it yet, but seems great)

Or you can put another 120 mm fan or different fans (High CFM) to have the push-pull configuration.
m
l
October 2, 2012 10:17:43 PM

I actually just bought a new case and bought a new cooler. I just ran bf3 for a little bit and noticed a improvement as the highest I ever went was 53C. Which is not much better because I had to wait till night to play it since it would get way to hot. I know that as long as its staying under the safe zone which is 62C is ok but I just didnt think it was good to have it running at 50-58 all day long. My new case is the Antec Eleven Hundred btw. And I was thinking about the push pull as I do have the ability now since my case is bigger and I have the extra fan from the last Hyper 212. Does having the push pull make any difference at all ?

jrayx said:
No, they give you the thermal paste, you have to apply it to your heatsink.

I have this Cooler and an AMD x4 955 BE no O.C and my temps are pretty similar to yours, 30 35 idle low load and 55 max under heavy load.

Maybe is time to change the Thermal paste, the cooler master one is kinda sticky, you can get the Arctic Silver 5 (Haven't tested it yet, but seems great)

Or you can put another 120 mm fan or different fans (High CFM) to have the push-pull configuration.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 2, 2012 11:32:07 PM

abCasPeRR said:
I actually just bought a new case and bought a new cooler. I just ran bf3 for a little bit and noticed a improvement as the highest I ever went was 53C. Which is not much better because I had to wait till night to play it since it would get way to hot. I know that as long as its staying under the safe zone which is 62C is ok but I just didnt think it was good to have it running at 50-58 all day long. My new case is the Antec Eleven Hundred btw. And I was thinking about the push pull as I do have the ability now since my case is bigger and I have the extra fan from the last Hyper 212. Does having the push pull make any difference at all ?

To be honest, it doesn't make much of a difference, maybe 1°C to 3°C.
Another thing your case should exhaust the warm air out, so a low RPM fan as an exhaust may work.

Use the highest RPM fan as pull and a low RPM as push, that should exhaust the warm air faster.
Do several tests swapping your fans. Test it only with one push or one pull to see if that makes an improvement.

Sorry for my english, hope to see some results

m
l
October 3, 2012 6:06:19 AM

jrayx said:
To be honest, it doesn't make much of a difference, maybe 1°C to 3°C.
Another thing your case should exhaust the warm air out, so a low RPM fan as an exhaust may work.

Use the highest RPM fan as pull and a low RPM as push, that should exhaust the warm air faster.
Do several tests swapping your fans. Test it only with one push or one pull to see if that makes an improvement.

Sorry for my english, hope to see some results

Its actually been really nice. My case as the 120mm exhaust on the back and the 200mm exhaust on the top. Which seems to help alot. I also have 2 120mm 2000 RPM coolermaster fans in the front. And a 120mm fan on the CPU side of the case that blows air directly on the back on the CPU and motherboard. My temps are really good. I only saw a high of 54C on BF3 which is amazing since it was about 105 degrees today, and being really hot in my room so I never even get to play bf3 since its so hot in the day time.
m
l
!