Sign in with
Your question

PC won't boot up after flashing BIOS.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 4, 2012 10:58:18 AM

Hey guys, so I bought the Dirt 3 HD 6950 2GB and tried unlocking it. I changed the BIOS switch to the "1" position and flashed the BIOS several times until I made a mistake that bricked my card.

The card won't boot up from the "1" position, thus making it impossible for me to unlock it.

My question is: is there any way to flash the "1" position, or am I completely screwed?

More about : boot flashing bios

April 4, 2012 11:15:21 AM

The Dimak said:
Hey guys, so I bought the Dirt 3 HD 6950 2GB and tried unlocking it. I changed the BIOS switch to the "1" position and flashed the BIOS several times until I made a mistake that bricked my card.

The card won't boot up from the "1" position, thus making it impossible for me to unlock it.

My question is: is there any way to flash the "1" position, or am I completely screwed?

cant you just use the 2nd bios
April 4, 2012 12:49:51 PM

jasont78 said:
cant you just use the 2nd bios

I can use it to play games, but I can't unlock my card using it. It's both too risky and I'm pretty sure it's read-only.
Related resources
April 4, 2012 5:44:28 PM

I have 2 6950 dirt 3's,position 2 on the bios switch already has unlocked shaders in most instances,but not all.Some will just not unlock(hardlocked)
However the gains from this are IMO,not worth the risks.

you have to back up the bios 1st,and flash bios 2,not 1

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=350307
April 4, 2012 6:03:02 PM

if u had a switch, there was no risk and there was no need to flash anything.

the switch had a bios on it that would unlock your shaders, if they didnt unlock you are just unlucky. flashing the bios was silly but i suppose it doesnt matter that much because your card will not unlock regardless of what bios is on it.

there was no risk, and yes it was worth trying.

im seeing a performance increase of 15-20 percent between my unlocked shaders and overclocking.

edit: or maybe u did need to flash it to try it. just read that link above me. my card had a switch on it with the unlocked shader bios already loaded into it. i assumed yours did as well.
April 4, 2012 6:15:20 PM

You can use an old GPU like a PCI video card to boot so that you can see what your doing. From there you can reflash the messed up bios. You can also google blind flashing a gpu.

I have recoved like 10 bricked GPUs over the years by using my trusty 4mb trident PCI video card.
April 4, 2012 10:02:55 PM

neon neophyte said:
if u had a switch, there was no risk and there was no need to flash anything.

the switch had a bios on it that would unlock your shaders, if they didnt unlock you are just unlucky. flashing the bios was silly but i suppose it doesnt matter that much because your card will not unlock regardless of what bios is on it.

there was no risk, and yes it was worth trying.

im seeing a performance increase of 15-20 percent between my unlocked shaders and overclocking.

edit: or maybe u did need to flash it to try it. just read that link above me. my card had a switch on it with the unlocked shader bios already loaded into it. i assumed yours did as well.

15-20% equals and AVERAGE FPS gain of about 7-8FPS(low 3-high 15)Depending on game and resolutions of course)Which IMO is not worth it.
Luckily as with yours,both of mine unlocked the shaders in bios position 2.
April 4, 2012 10:12:27 PM

i need every frame i can get in bf3
April 4, 2012 10:21:39 PM

neon neophyte said:
i need every frame i can get in bf3

even with just the one card,I'm running everything ultra,No deferred AA or ambient occlusion,otherwise its all maxed @1920X1200 smooth as butta.
But I hear ya.
April 5, 2012 11:10:26 AM

Deemo13 said:
I have a HIS 2GB 6950, much like yours, and I have flashed mine. I would say to boot with the card in the "2" position, and switch to the "1" once it has booted.

For flashing, follow this guide:
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcar...

Tried it. It wouldn't recognize the switch until the computer is restarted.

So as I understand there is no way for me to flash the "1" position bios without having to install a secondary GPU, which my motherboard doesn't support. But I've been thinking, is there any way to make the built-in GPU serve as the main GPU without having to remove the graphics card? And if it's possible, will I be able to flash the BIOS?
April 5, 2012 9:15:19 PM

bucknutty said:
you can get a simple PCI video card. Set your board to boot off that card then you will be able to see what your doing to reflash the bad bios.

Any board can use an old PCI card along with the new PCI-e card.

something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-Radeon-7000-64-MB-DDR-PCI-I...

Oh, I see. I thought I needed 2 identical slots in-order for this to work. Now I just need to salvage my old 9800 GT and hope it works. Thanks!
!