Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Would a AMD FX-8120 (@3.1GHz) bottleneck a GTX 560 2gb?

Last response: in CPUs
September 29, 2012 8:29:29 PM

Lately I've been noticing a huge performance decrease in newer games. I was wondering what could be bottlenecking my build.
Naturally, my first thought was my CPU. Thanks for the responses.

My Specs:
AMD FX-8120 (@3.1GHz)
GTX 560 2gb Superclocked
8 GB RAM
1 TB HD
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2012 8:45:05 PM

Well, try using the latest GPU drivers. Those could help performance.
Score
September 29, 2012 8:58:32 PM

obsama1 said:
Well, try using the latest GPU drivers. Those could help performance.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm running the latest drivers. Version 206.23 if I'm not mistaken.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 29, 2012 9:01:10 PM

Try the latest Windows updates and BIOS. But be cautious when updating the BIOS, and follow all instructions.
September 29, 2012 9:10:24 PM

I was considering updating the mobo's BIOS. Thanks for the idea though. I'll definitely try it now.
Score
September 29, 2012 11:09:49 PM

As for anyone else, I'm still open for suggestions. This performance is just awful. For example, I should be able to max out Borderlands 2. When I have BO2 auto-detect settings, it sets the screen to the lowest resolution and sets a bunch of stuff at low. There's something wrong somewhere.
Score
September 30, 2012 2:58:30 AM

You've got a problem, but it isn't your CPU in normal operations. Benchmarks I see http://www.techspot.com/review/577-borderlands-2-perfor... suggest that while your CPU does impact performance on Borderlands 2, in normal operation you should be seeing 30FPS+ at 1080p, Max settings with your graphics card. I'd actually suspect the card first. Check out something like SiSoft Sandra or other benchmarking tool and see if one of your components tests drastically slow. You almost certainly have an issue with something not functioning correctly - is your CPU or Graphics card throttling because of a thermal issue (clogged cooler, non-working fan, Cooler seated with removable plastic still attached or with no thermal paste) ?
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 30, 2012 3:01:20 AM

jacobsta811 said:
You've got a problem, but it isn't your CPU in normal operations. Benchmarks I see http://www.techspot.com/review/577-borderlands-2-perfor... suggest that while your CPU does impact performance on Borderlands 2, in normal operation you should be seeing 30FPS+ at 1080p, Max settings with your graphics card.

Except he doesn't have a 680...

That 560 couldn't handle 1080p maxed out. Trust me.
Score
September 30, 2012 3:14:46 AM

jacobsta811 said:
You've got a problem, but it isn't your CPU in normal operations. Benchmarks I see http://www.techspot.com/review/577-borderlands-2-perfor... suggest that while your CPU does impact performance on Borderlands 2, in normal operation you should be seeing 30FPS+ at 1080p, Max settings with your graphics card. I'd actually suspect the card first. Check out something like SiSoft Sandra or other benchmarking tool and see if one of your components tests drastically slow. You almost certainly have an issue with something not functioning correctly - is your CPU or Graphics card throttling because of a thermal issue (clogged cooler, non-working fan, Cooler seated with removable plastic still attached or with no thermal paste) ?

Yeah, the more I look into this the more I suspect my card is defective somehow. I'm not noticing anything strange with the fan or temps wise, though. I do plan on updating my mobo BIOS, however. I'll post back with the results.
Score
September 30, 2012 3:17:13 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Except he doesn't have a 680...

That 560 couldn't handle 1080p maxed out. Trust me.

I know the 560 can handle it, two of my friends have 560's with i5's and they can max without a problem. They only have the 1gb version too, without my overclock.
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 30, 2012 3:18:01 AM

obsama1 said:
The 560 does 59FPS at 1200p.

http://www.techspot.com/review/577-borderlands-2-perfor...

It's the CPU. A lot of games just don't know what to do w/ BD, resulting in lower performance.

Eh, I actually thought it was a DX11 capable game, but upon further research it's not (not even an option), and it's only DX9 (which nearly any decent card can play). A shame, really. Kinda disappointed.

If DX11 were an option, that would change things, though.

Edit: I should add that I don't own the game (obviously) and don't really care about it, so I haven't put much effort into researching its performance.
Score
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 3:24:50 AM

If it were DX11, this game would be a lot more stressing.

I think it's due to the CPU. An i5 gets 15FPS more than an 8150 and that's w/ a 680. With a 560, you will get less performance,but the games setting the res. so low is unusual.
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 30, 2012 3:31:52 AM

Well, let's ask this. How do other games perform?

If you only have poor performance in Borderlands 2, then we can rule out the GPU and CPU.

My gut tells me that this is a software issue (drivers or game).

Edit: I see in your first post that you say poor performance in "newer" games. Which ones?
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 30, 2012 3:38:21 AM

The reason that I think that it's software related is that failing hardware shouldn't really cause poor performance without other things happening too (crashes, artifacting, etc.).

If it's just slow, but nothing else happens, that doesn't scream out failing hardware.
Score
September 30, 2012 3:43:08 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Well, let's ask this. How do other games perform?

If you only have poor performance in Borderlands 2, then we can rule out the GPU and CPU.

My gut tells me that this is a software issue (drivers or game).

Edit: I see in your first post that you say poor performance in "newer" games. Which ones?

To be honest, I haven't played a whole lot of newer titles on this rig yet. By saying "newer" titles I was referencing Spec Ops: The Line (a pretty graphically intense game.) But even then, I was getting about 25 fps and it seemed playable. Would outdated BIOS point to poor performance in newer titles?
Score
September 30, 2012 3:47:55 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
The reason that I think that it's software related is that failing hardware shouldn't really cause poor performance without other things happening too (crashes, artifacting, etc.).

If it's just slow, but nothing else happens, that doesn't scream out failing hardware.

I should also mention I've gotten a blue screen pretty infrequently that may point to hardware failure. At this point, I've narrowed it down to my mobo and my graphics card. Not completely sure about this though. This could still be a software issue.
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 30, 2012 3:50:51 AM

Payne500 said:
Would outdated BIOS point to poor performance in newer titles?

It shouldn't, but updating is worth a shot, at this point.

My next recommendation after that is to try an older driver. Something in the 29xx.xx area. I use 295.73 and it seems to be flawless with my own 560 (and that's why I haven't updated it).
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 30, 2012 3:53:29 AM

Payne500 said:
I should also mention I've gotten a blue screen pretty infrequently that may point to hardware failure. At this point, I've narrowed it down to my mobo and my graphics card. Not completely sure about this though. This could still be a software issue.

Hmm. Try Furmark. If it's a hardware problem, that should make it very apparent. Nothing will stress it as much as Furmark will.
Score
September 30, 2012 3:57:11 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
It shouldn't, but updating is worth a shot, at this point.

My next recommendation after that is to try an older driver. Something in the 29xx.xx area. I use 295.73 and it seems to be flawless with my own 560 (and that's why I haven't updated it).

Interesting. But do you think it could just be my cpu bottlenecking performance? Even if everything was running as it should?
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 30, 2012 4:11:33 AM

Payne500 said:
Interesting. But do you think it could just be my cpu bottlenecking performance? Even if everything was running as it should?

Seeing the benches linked here, at least for Borderlands 2, it shouldn't be.

A 560 shouldn't be bottlenecked by a 8120, anyway. If anything, they're a relatively close match for each other (unlike my 560 with my OC'd 2500K, lol. My 2500K is definitely bottlenecked by my 560, even though I have it OC'd too).

I expect lower gaming performance from both the 560 and the 8120 (neither are particularly great. Decent, but not great), but the performance shouldn't be god awful either. Somewhere on the lower end of acceptable.
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 30, 2012 4:24:05 AM

Actually, after looking over the benches linked here again, I think I agree with jacobsta811 to an extent. You should probably be seeing somewhere around 20-30 FPS in Borderlands 2 @ 1080p maxed out.

It's hard to extrapolate that from the info there, but the GPU tests were done with a 3960X, so they're a bit skewed, and the CPU tests were done with a 680, so they're skewed, as well. It's just an educated guess that 20-30 FPS with a 8120 and 560 would be just about right.

If that's the case, then there is a relatively major CPU bottleneck going on (59 FPS for a 560 with a 3960X and a guess of 20-30 with a 560 and a 8120).

I know I'm contradicting myself a bit there (from my post above), but I had to do some mental work to work out what the performance should really be.

You might want to try overclocking the CPU.
Score
September 30, 2012 4:24:06 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Seeing the benches linked here, at least for Borderlands 2, it shouldn't be.

A 560 shouldn't be bottlenecked by a 8120, anyway. If anything, they're a relatively close match for each other (unlike my 560 with my OC'd 2500K, lol. My 2500K is definitely bottlenecked by my 560, even though I have it OC'd too).

I expect lower gaming performance from both the 560 and the 8120 (neither are particularly great. Decent, but not great), but the performance shouldn't be god awful either. Somewhere on the lower end of acceptable.

Hmm, then I'm leaning towards either the BIOS update or a graphics card issue.
Score
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 4:28:23 AM

Payne500 said:

YES!

Quote:
Initially, we couldn't get Borderlands 2 to run with the AMD's FX processors as the game would cause our test system to throw a BSOD on loading. Turns out, the Asrock motherboard we were using -- as well as most AMD 900-series motherboards for that matter -- need a BIOS update to correct this issue.

http://www.techspot.com/review/577-borderlands-2-perfor...

3.1 ghz doesn't like borderlands 2, seems to be a software/hardware mixup.

Quote:
The FX-8150 didn't respond quite as well to being overclocked, delivering just 51fps at 1920x1200. Based on what we have seen from other games, we believe there is something wrong here and hope that a patch is released shortly to help improve the performance of the AMD FX series parts.

you can push your cpu to 4.0 ghz will help quite a bit and you can usually do that without messing with any voltage settings, just change the cpu multiplier to 20x. between 3.0 and 3.5 ghz was the biggest performance jump and thats where you are at.
Score
September 30, 2012 4:51:43 PM

You might want to tell us exactly what kind of performance you are getting too (just DL Fraps and tell us the framerate at a few different resolutions maxed out). I agree that your CPU *hurts* in Borderlands 2, but at 1080p should be basically playable maxed out, and obviously anything less than that like 720p (1280x720) should be butter smooth, probably 60+ FPS. If it isn't playable at all at 1080p or isn't all but perfect at 720p maxed out then there is a problem with your hardware or drivers, rather than it just not being "beefy" enough.
Score
September 30, 2012 5:17:25 PM

jacobsta811 said:
You might want to tell us exactly what kind of performance you are getting too (just DL Fraps and tell us the framerate at a few different resolutions maxed out). I agree that your CPU *hurts* in Borderlands 2, but at 1080p should be basically playable maxed out, and obviously anything less than that like 720p (1280x720) should be butter smooth, probably 60+ FPS. If it isn't playable at all at 1080p or isn't all but perfect at 720p maxed out then there is a problem with your hardware or drivers, rather than it just not being "beefy" enough.

At 1920x1080, I get about 18-20 fps with settings at medium. Turning down the resolution doesn't seem to have a noticeable impact either. I agree that this may be a hardware or driver issue. I've heard people with FX chips saying that updating their mobo bios corrected the low fps issue, so hopefully that will be my solution as well.
Edit: the fps is about the same maxed out at 1920x1080.
Score
September 30, 2012 5:48:26 PM

Another big problem I've noticed is long load times in newer games, (it takes about 4-5 minutes to boot up Borderlands 2.) My first thought was my HD, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. Could this be related to a defective graphics card/outdated mobo bios?
Score
September 30, 2012 5:54:04 PM

Honestly with the symptoms you describe I would suspect either a bad hard disk or thermal throttling of the CPU. But don't just guess based on describing symptoms to the internet. Load up CPU-Z, Core Temp, and Sisoft Sandra Lite, and benchmark your system. Report back your results & your temperatures, or just compare yourself - it should be relatively obvious which component is at issue if you compare your results for that component vs the database results they have.
Score
September 30, 2012 7:03:57 PM

jacobsta811 said:
Honestly with the symptoms you describe I would suspect either a bad hard disk or thermal throttling of the CPU. But don't just guess based on describing symptoms to the internet. Load up CPU-Z, Core Temp, and Sisoft Sandra Lite, and benchmark your system. Report back your results & your temperatures, or just compare yourself - it should be relatively obvious which component is at issue if you compare your results for that component vs the database results they have.

Will do, but from monitoring that I've already done with Core Temp I'm pretty certain my problem is not thermal throttling. The highest temps I've seen on my CPU don't exceed 50 degrees Celsius with the stock cooler.
Score
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 7:42:27 PM

So you've updated your BIOS? And that didn't change performance? Since it's a 1.0 game, it might be the game's fault. Like all the issues people had with Skyrim when it first came out.
Score
September 30, 2012 7:47:00 PM

obsama1 said:
So you've updated your BIOS? And that didn't change performance? Since it's a 1.0 game, it might be the game's fault. Like all the issues people had with Skyrim when it first came out.

I still have yet to update BIOS, I've been really swamped with work this weekend. When I do get a chance however, I'll definitely post my findings.
Score
October 1, 2012 11:49:03 PM

i suggest ocing your cpu as this game really puts a heavy load on it

1920x1080 everything maxed and Physx on Medium

MIN ~ 1 <----
AVG ~ 62
MAX ~ 64
Score
October 4, 2012 11:20:36 PM

Hey everyone, after a bit more research, I came across a video of someone maxing Borderlands 2 out on a AMD HD 7770 along with a AMD FX-8120 (@3.1ghz) His gameplay is infinitely smoother then mine, while my video card is considerably better then his 7770. What do you guys think?
Score
October 4, 2012 11:32:37 PM

Payne500 said:
Hey everyone, after a bit more research, I came across a video of someone maxing Borderlands 2 out on a AMD HD 7770 along with a AMD FX-8120 (@3.1ghz) His gameplay is infinitely smoother then mine, while my video card is considerably better then his 7770. What do you guys think?

that his FX 8120 is overclocked were as yours isn't ?

CPU Performance

GPU Performance

Physx Performance

Score
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 1:21:31 AM

Show us the video? pics or no proof jk
Score
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 9:13:50 AM

have you updated your bios yet?
Score
October 13, 2012 2:27:26 AM

Hey everyone, great news. I finally got around to updating my BIOS to the latest version, and the difference is like night and day. This literally tripped my FPS in all newer games, including Borderlands 2. My computer itself runs A LOT quieter now as well (the CPU fan would increase tremendously when playing games before) along with running about 10 degrees Celsius cooler under load. Thanks everyone tremendously for your input. If anyone else has this problem running a similar build, I would highly recommend this as a solution.
Score
October 13, 2012 2:27:48 AM

Best answer selected by Payne500.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 13, 2012 8:40:51 AM

This topic has been closed by MouseMonkey
Score
!