Tokyo Game Show...talk me into going....

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hey Guys

I live in Japan, and the game show is this weekend. The only problem is
that I planned a party for Saturday night, so I have to be back in southern
Japan by then. I can't get out of it. I made the plans before I realized
the game show as coming up. Now that it's only a few days away I'm thinking
about just getting on a train and going up there.

The problem... The tain ticket is $450 round trip, plus other tickets
within Tokyo (yeah, domestic travel in Japan is crazy expensive). Add
another $200 for hotels for 2 nights. That's about $700 total. Since I
have to be back home by Saturday afternoon I can only go for one day, the
business only day, which is Friday. I would leave here Thursday night so I
could be at the show first thing Friday morning.

Your job is to talk me into going. I really want to see the XBOX 360, plus
I just really want to go to the Tokyo Game Show. I might be able to pick up
some promo items to resell to cover part of the expenses of the trip, but
I'm not sure if that's really going to happen. I've never atually been to
the game show before, but I'm assuming that on the business day they have
promo stuff.

So...what would you do?????

Eric wrote:
> Hey Guys
>
> I live in Japan, and the game show is this weekend. The only problem is
> that I planned a party for Saturday night, so I have to be back in southern
> Japan by then. I can't get out of it. I made the plans before I realized
> the game show as coming up. Now that it's only a few days away I'm thinking
> about just getting on a train and going up there.
>
> The problem... The tain ticket is $450 round trip, plus other tickets
> within Tokyo (yeah, domestic travel in Japan is crazy expensive). Add
> another $200 for hotels for 2 nights. That's about $700 total. Since I
> have to be back home by Saturday afternoon I can only go for one day, the
> business only day, which is Friday. I would leave here Thursday night so I
> could be at the show first thing Friday morning.
>
> Your job is to talk me into going. I really want to see the XBOX 360, plus
> I just really want to go to the Tokyo Game Show. I might be able to pick up
> some promo items to resell to cover part of the expenses of the trip, but
> I'm not sure if that's really going to happen. I've never atually been to
> the game show before, but I'm assuming that on the business day they have
> promo stuff.
>
> So...what would you do?????

Stay home and keep the $700. No gaming show is worth that much.

KEEP THE MONEY!

(or if you must get rid of it, you could send it to me)

Knight37

Jordan

If life in Japan is that expensive I'd suggest blowing it off. Anything
you could see in one day will be all over the web on Friday anyway
(Revolution Controller.)

- Jordan

Eric <erictucson@aol.com> wrote:

> So...what would you do?????

South (West) Japan is better than Tokyo any day.

I've been to Osaka, Kobe, Kyoto and Tokyo. Tokyo was by far the worst.

I definitely don't think $700 for a 1 day trip to Tokyo is worth it.
Especially based on how rudely I was treated when I went there... Then
again, I wasn't a "Stupid gaijin", which I think confused the Tokyo-ites.
The folks in Osaka and Kobe at least had a sense of humor. When they'd try
to apologize for not being able to speak English, I'd just reply in Japanese
"That's OK, neither do I!"

Save your money and enjoy your party.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

but....but...but....XBOX360 games.....Japanese girls dressed like video game
characters and space women...must go....must go....argh....

I'm just worried that I'll get up there for the day and not get any promo
stuff to resell then have to eat the cost of the whole trip. That amounts
to almost $100 per video-game-hour. On that basis, I'm not going. But even
if I could recoup half the cost of the trip...I'll go.

Doug Jacobs... I know what you mean. I've been to Tokyo a couple of times.
I don't mind it. It's like LA...great place to visit for a weekend but not
the best palce to live.

Eric <erictucson@aol.com> wrote:
> but....but...but....XBOX360 games.....Japanese girls dressed like video game
> characters and space women...must go....must go....argh....

Isn't the fall comike coming up soon?

Anime cosplay girls.... Though you won't get video game stuff to resell,
but I'm sure a handful of x-rated doujinshi of series popular in the US
would bring decent prices from collectors.

> Doug Jacobs... I know what you mean. I've been to Tokyo a couple of times.
> I don't mind it. It's like LA...great place to visit for a weekend but not
> the best palce to live.

Yeah, that's a good analogy. I don't like LA either - and for many of the
same reasons (though, I never yelled at anyone in Japanese in LA...yet ;)

TRENDING THREADS