Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell U2711 monitor advice

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 4, 2012 12:38:05 PM

Hey guys,

2 questions about the Dell U2711.....

Obviously when gaming at 2560x1440 it will look awesome and i'm guessing a noticeable improvement to 1080p, but will there be a big issue with lag/response time? and secondly (my be a stupid question) if i watch a dvd/bluray film from my pc will it also be 2560x1440 or does it scale down to normal HD?

cheers for the help!!
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 4, 2012 1:10:30 PM

Of course playing games at 2560x1440 will demand much more of the video card, and if your system is not powerfull enough you will probably use lower resolutions.

Unless the movie is specifically recorded at 2560x1440 (not the blu-ray movies in the market case) no, it is going to scale down at the movie resolution, but 1080p is already great for that screen size.

2560x1440 is going to be very useful at windows common usage/ web navigation/ image editing, and of course most of the games will let you play at those resolutions but they will demand much more graphics power so you will need to lower graphics or decrease resolution (unless you already have enough gpu).
m
l

Best solution

a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 4, 2012 1:28:58 PM

I've been using a Dell 3007 (2560x1600) for a few years now. Totally worth the money.

About the films: the physical Blu-Ray disk contains 1920x1080 pixels. You won't get 2560x1440 because there aren't that many pixels on the disk.

You can open your player software in a window sized to 1920x1080 and watch the movie in it, with perfect clarity, and maybe using the rest of the monitor's area to browse or play a game. Or you can maximize whatever player you have and let it upscale from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440. Upscaling means the player resizes the image, trying to fill in the missing pixels based on the colors of the pixels around them. The quality of the result depends on the software. I use PowerDVD and I find it good enough, for example. There is some blur, of course, but not much. I can even watch standard DVDs upscaled to 2560x1600 if I sit a bit farther from the monitor.

Games: two things to worry about.

One of course is the fps.
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/04-Me...
For example if you want to play Metro 2033 at 2560x1440 with maximum eye candy, you'd need a Radeon HD 7970 or GTX 680 or some dual card or Crossfire/SLI to achieve 30 fps or whatever you consider playable. Luckily, most games are less demanding.

The other problem is lag when playing online. This depends on the game. Some games send data from the server to your PC and back that doesn't really depend much on your resolution, so you shouldn't have increased lag just because you increased your resolution. That is the ideal scenario, and game developers try to make things work like that. They have to, otherwise the network connection would be a bottleneck. Imagine, as a very simple example, that the PC sends something like "I'm moving two steps forward" and the server sends back "and a big spider falls on you". The local computer is responsible for drawing the spider and your character, and your new and higher resolution doesn't lead to more data being transmitted and it doesn't increase the lag.

Related resources
April 4, 2012 1:43:22 PM

No that's a pretty solid panel and you shouldn't experience any real issue with response time or input lag. Also whatever media you watch, it will be displayed at what resolution that media was made with. DVD and blu-ray will be 1080. But, still 1080 on a 27" screen will still look very good.
Here is a review if you feel like further reading.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2711.htm
m
l
April 4, 2012 3:33:47 PM

Not too long ago I upgraded to a Samsung 2560x1440 display and while it is amazing, there is a significant performance hit. As I don't play really demanding games like Metro 2033 my GTX 580 is holding up pretty well for the most part.

Skyrim now that it has been optimized through patches looks just great with the high-res texture pack installed. The Witcher 2 is a bit less playable but that doesn't stop me, I can just turn down the settings if need be. Dirt 3 is flawless.

Will probably get another 580 to solve the issue.

For blurays, let your graphics card do the scaling and the result is still very good. If your display is calibrated properly, the improvement in colour depth far outweighs the loss of clarity over a 1080p TN panel.

Anyway definitely a good upgrade to invest in, especially if you do stuff other than gaming.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 4, 2012 5:06:41 PM

Trist_58 said:
Not too long ago I upgraded to a Samsung 2560x1440 display and while it is amazing, there is a significant performance hit. As I don't play really demanding games like Metro 2033 my GTX 580 is holding up pretty well for the most part.

Skyrim now that it has been optimized through patches looks just great with the high-res texture pack installed. The Witcher 2 is a bit less playable but that doesn't stop me, I can just turn down the settings if need be. Dirt 3 is flawless.

Will probably get another 580 to solve the issue.

For blurays, let your graphics card do the scaling and the result is still very good. If your display is calibrated properly, the improvement in colour depth far outweighs the loss of clarity over a 1080p TN panel.

Anyway definitely a good upgrade to invest in, especially if you do stuff other than gaming.

Of course if you have a 580 you can handle it, but with lower graphics card he will run into trouble at that resolution.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 4, 2012 5:37:42 PM

Only other possible problem would be in High speed motion you may notice a slight amount of Blurr. This is a function of the monitor, not the GPU.

Almost bought it, But the imputs were to Limited. I have two Computers to hook to it and a stand-alone DVD recorder (cable input). Also considered the U3011, but it was $1300 so settled on a Samsung 32" LED 120 Hz HDTV - Bought at bestbuy for only $550 (display model)

Myself, I think you will be very happy with it. Any performance hit due to GPU can be corrected with a new GPU (or added one in Xfire/SLI) as a future upgrade.

Samsung now has a "new" 27 inch Monitor that has an upgraded panel - Better than a TN, but not quite as good as the IPS used in the Dell.
m
l
April 5, 2012 12:36:07 AM

great info thanks!!!!

i'm living in thailand so quite limited with the small number of online retailers but manager to find a nice rig that should run most games at the highest res:

CPU Intel Core i7-3820 (LGA2011)
Liquid Cooling Intel RTS2011LC
Mainboard ASUS P9X79
RAM DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz (4GB x4)
SSD OCZ Octane3 128GB
Harddisk WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1TB SATA-III
VGA ASUS Radeon HD7970
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Adavanced
Power Supply Enermax NAXN 750W
SAMSUNG SH-B083L BD

That lot is setting me back 2000usd, might make a few changes, possibly even processor/mobo which would drop the price a little but i'm not to worried about the cost, more about how long it will last before i need to spend on upgrading, so most likely sticking with it.

gaming for BF3 COD Skyrim F1 Dirt ME3 etc
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 5, 2012 12:46:35 AM

putnam55 said:
great info thanks!!!!

i'm living in thailand so quite limited with the small number of online retailers but manager to find a nice rig that should run most games at the highest res:

CPU Intel Core i7-3820 (LGA2011)
Liquid Cooling Intel RTS2011LC
Mainboard ASUS P9X79
RAM DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz (4GB x4)
SSD OCZ Octane3 128GB
Harddisk WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1TB SATA-III
VGA ASUS Radeon HD7970
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Adavanced
Power Supply Enermax NAXN 750W
SAMSUNG SH-B083L BD

That lot is setting me back 2000usd, might make a few changes, possibly even processor/mobo which would drop the price a little but i'm not to worried about the cost, more about how long it will last before i need to spend on upgrading, so most likely sticking with it.

gaming for BF3 COD Skyrim F1 Dirt ME3 etc

Pretty good overall. Not sure if you need the BD player but kind of a neat feature. I really don't think you need to go with LGA2011 though. Overkill for anything that isn't huge rendering type stuff, really. A good Z68 board like an Asus Maximus with an i5 2500k or an i7 2600k if you really want is more than enough juice. As well drop the RAM to 2x4gb and get a GTX 680 instead of a 7970 (cheaper and faster).

Just some suggestions for a well balanced and cheaper system. The one you've listed is of course really good anyway.
m
l
April 5, 2012 1:00:59 AM

I totally agree with the cpu change as all benchmark tests ive look at show no significant improvement for the extra money on LGA2011, it mainly because the online shop has 2 recommended built units. the first as posted or:

CPU Intel Core i7 2600

Mainboard ASUS P8Z77-V

RAM Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz (4GB x2) CL9

Harddisk WD10EALX Caviar Blue 1TB SATA-III

VGA HIS Radeon HD7950 3GB DDR5

Case Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus

Power Supply Corsair TX 750W V2

DVD-R/RW ASUS 24X SATA

this one is $1400 usd

$600 difference is a fair whack but im not confident enought to build my own yet hence i think i will spend the extra on the LGA2011 and let them do it

Oh and yeah the 680 if they got one
m
l
April 5, 2012 1:27:58 AM

Best answer selected by putnam55.
m
l
June 26, 2012 12:06:50 PM

Hi, I have amd radeon hd 7770 2gb gddr5, I'm not into any games , my new monitor is 2560x1440 resolution, with this graphics card i will be able to obtain that resolution, thank you Enrique
m
l
!