SEEK: Utility to easily change file asociation

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Microsoft
  • Customization
  • File Association
  • Windows XP
January 22, 2005 1:55:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Am looking for a utility to quickly change a file association. What
utilities would you recommend to do this?

----

At the moment I use the File Types tab in Folder Options and locate
the file extension. Or use the context menu for a file of a
particular type. Then I choose one of the shortlisted programs but
often I have to browse to where the application program is.

QuickAssociation from PC Mag (pay to join) looks as if it might be
good. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1639699,00.asp
I can't find it on FileMirrors.com or FindSearching.com. Does anyone
have a link to a free download?

What other utilities would you recommend to do this?

Lars

lars_assoc@ELVISsystem.PRESLEYwanadoo.co.uk
(remove the singer before replying)

More about : seek utility easily change file asociation

Anonymous
January 23, 2005 12:58:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Type assoc and ftype in help.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Lars" <see@bottom.of.posting> wrote in message news:95E66F0DEEC1851D7E@130.133.1.4...
> Am looking for a utility to quickly change a file association. What
> utilities would you recommend to do this?
>
> ----
>
> At the moment I use the File Types tab in Folder Options and locate
> the file extension. Or use the context menu for a file of a
> particular type. Then I choose one of the shortlisted programs but
> often I have to browse to where the application program is.
>
> QuickAssociation from PC Mag (pay to join) looks as if it might be
> good. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1639699,00.asp
> I can't find it on FileMirrors.com or FindSearching.com. Does anyone
> have a link to a free download?
>
> What other utilities would you recommend to do this?
>
> Lars
>

> lars_assoc@ELVISsystem.PRESLEYwanadoo.co.uk
> (remove the singer before replying)
January 23, 2005 12:58:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

David, there are two problems with ASSOC and FTYPE.

(1) Many applications seem to have created their own extension. So
when I run 'FTYPE JPG' it is not found. However running just 'FTYPE'
lists these entries for JPG:

Firegraphic.jpg="C:\Program Files\Firegraphic 6\Firegraphic.exe" "%1"
Imaginate.JPG="C:\Program Files\Imaginate\Imaginate.exe" "%1"
IrfanView.jpg="C:\Program Files\Irfanview\i_view32.exe" "%1"

The correct one is Imaginate but how can I tell?

(2) If I run this command:
FTYPE .JPG "C:\Program Files\FSPlayer\FSPlayer.exe"
or
FTYPE JPG "C:\Program Files\FSPlayer\FSPlayer.exe"
then I the message says not found.

Using the ASSOC command is confusing because running 'ASSOC .JPG'
tells me
.JPG = JPGFILE
So I use this information and run:
FTYPE JPGFILE "C:\Program Files\FSPlayer\FSPlayer.exe"
then I also get a not found.

Using 'ASSOC JPG' (with no dot) fails to find the extension.

After all this work, I think it might be much easier to edit the
registry direct than to use this approach. And that is too
inefficient a way as well.

BY THE WAY .. the document "edit installation options for
applications" at http://snipurl.com/c7mv also deals with file
extensions.

As that document says, I ran GPEDIT.MSC to launch the Group Policy
Editor. In the Group Policy Editor both the Software Installation
menus are empty ('Computer Configuration' and 'User Configuration)'.

Seems that Software Installation needs to be added. See
http://snipurl.com/c7lg How is this done? I already have the DLL
referred to (appmgmts.dll) in the System32 folder.

Is there an easier way to get the tool mentioned in the Help Center?

===============================

On 22 Jan 2005, David Candy wrote:

> Type assoc and ftype in help.
>

> "Lars" <see@bottom.of.posting> wrote in message
>>
>> Am looking for a utility to quickly change a file association.
>> What utilities would you recommend to do this?
>>
>> ----
>>
>> At the moment I use the File Types tab in Folder Options and
>> locate the file extension. Or use the context menu for a file
>> of a particular type. Then I choose one of the shortlisted
>> programs but often I have to browse to where the application
>> program is.
>>
>> QuickAssociation from PC Mag (pay to join) looks as if it might
>> be good. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1639699,00.asp
>> I can't find it on FileMirrors.com or FindSearching.com. Does
>> anyone have a link to a free download?
>>
>> What other utilities would you recommend to do this?
>>
>> Lars
>>
>> lars_assoc@ELVISsystem.PRESLEYwanadoo.co.uk
>> (remove the singer before replying)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 12:58:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Check out "File Type Manager"
http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~fworsley/ftm/index.html

quote:
"File Type Manager is a Windows utility program that allows you to manage
Windows file types, actions and shell extensions. It offers far more
functionality than simliar programs or the built-in Windows tool. Apart from
that it is (as far as I know) the only program available that allows you to
manage shell extensions."

The site is safe and malware-free.

--
~john aka: jopa

"Lars" <lars_assoc@ELVISsystem.PRESLEYwanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> David, there are two problems with ASSOC and FTYPE.
>
> (1) Many applications seem to have created their own extension. So
> when I run 'FTYPE JPG' it is not found. However running just 'FTYPE'
> lists these entries for JPG:
>
> Firegraphic.jpg="C:\Program Files\Firegraphic 6\Firegraphic.exe" "%1"
> Imaginate.JPG="C:\Program Files\Imaginate\Imaginate.exe" "%1"
> IrfanView.jpg="C:\Program Files\Irfanview\i_view32.exe" "%1"
>
> The correct one is Imaginate but how can I tell?
>

> (2) If I run this command:
> FTYPE .JPG "C:\Program Files\FSPlayer\FSPlayer.exe"
> or
> FTYPE JPG "C:\Program Files\FSPlayer\FSPlayer.exe"
> then I the message says not found.
>
> Using the ASSOC command is confusing because running 'ASSOC .JPG'
> tells me
> .JPG = JPGFILE
> So I use this information and run:
> FTYPE JPGFILE "C:\Program Files\FSPlayer\FSPlayer.exe"
> then I also get a not found.
>
> Using 'ASSOC JPG' (with no dot) fails to find the extension.
>
> After all this work, I think it might be much easier to edit the
> registry direct than to use this approach. And that is too
> inefficient a way as well.
>

> BY THE WAY .. the document "edit installation options for
> applications" at http://snipurl.com/c7mv also deals with file
> extensions.
>
> As that document says, I ran GPEDIT.MSC to launch the Group Policy
> Editor. In the Group Policy Editor both the Software Installation
> menus are empty ('Computer Configuration' and 'User Configuration)'.
>
> Seems that Software Installation needs to be added. See
> http://snipurl.com/c7lg How is this done? I already have the DLL
> referred to (appmgmts.dll) in the System32 folder.
>
> Is there an easier way to get the tool mentioned in the Help Center?
>
> ===============================
>

> lars_assoc@ELVISsystem.PRESLEYwanadoo.co.uk
> (remove the singer before replying)
>

> On 22 Jan 2005, David Candy wrote:
>>
>> Type assoc and ftype in help.
>>

>> "Lars" <see@bottom.of.posting> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Am looking for a utility to quickly change a file association.
>>> What utilities would you recommend to do this?
>>>
>>> ----
>>>
>>> At the moment I use the File Types tab in Folder Options and
>>> locate the file extension. Or use the context menu for a file
>>> of a particular type. Then I choose one of the shortlisted
>>> programs but often I have to browse to where the application
>>> program is.
>>>
>>> QuickAssociation from PC Mag (pay to join) looks as if it might
>>> be good. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1639699,00.asp
>>> I can't find it on FileMirrors.com or FindSearching.com. Does
>>> anyone have a link to a free download?
>>>
>>> What other utilities would you recommend to do this?
>>>
>>> Lars
>>>
>>> lars_assoc@ELVISsystem.PRESLEYwanadoo.co.uk
>>> (remove the singer before replying)
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 10:17:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

You use assoc first to find the file type.

http://www.uscricket.com
> [...]
> (remove the singer before replying)
>

> On 22 Jan 2005, David Candy wrote:
>>
>> Type assoc and ftype in help.
>>

>> "Lars" <see@bottom.of.posting> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Am looking for a utility to quickly change a file association.
>>> What utilities would you recommend to do this?
>>>
>>> ----
>>>
>>> At the moment I use the File Types tab in Folder Options and
>>> locate the file extension. Or use the context menu for a file
>>> of a particular type. Then I choose one of the shortlisted
>>> programs but often I have to browse to where the application
>>> program is.
>>>
>>> QuickAssociation from PC Mag (pay to join) looks as if it might
>>> be good. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1639699,00.asp
>>> I can't find it on FileMirrors.com or FindSearching.com. Does
>>> anyone have a link to a free download?
>>>
>>> What other utilities would you recommend to do this?

January 23, 2005 2:12:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

"Lars" <lars_assoc@ELVISsystem.PRESLEYwanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

| Using the ASSOC command is confusing because running 'ASSOC .JPG'
| tells me
| .JPG = JPGFILE
| So I use this information and run:
| FTYPE JPGFILE "C:\Program Files\FSPlayer\FSPlayer.exe"
| then I also get a not found.

But "assoc .jpg" gives:

..jpg=jpegfile
January 25, 2005 9:17:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

On 22 Jan 2005, David Candy wrote:

> You use assoc first to find the file type.

David, if you take another look at what you replied to, then I think
I said I did use ASSOC and I found it confusing and of no help.

> "Lars" <lars_assoc@ELVISsystem.PRESLEYwanadoo.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> David, there are two problems with ASSOC and FTYPE.
>>
>> (1) Many applications seem to have created their own
>> extension. So when I run 'FTYPE JPG' it is not found. However
>> running just 'FTYPE' lists these entries for JPG:
>>
>> Firegraphic.jpg="C:\Program Files\Firegraphic
>> 6\Firegraphic.exe" "%1" Imaginate.JPG="C:\Program
>> Files\Imaginate\Imaginate.exe" "%1" IrfanView.jpg="C:\Program
>> Files\Irfanview\i_view32.exe" "%1"
>>
>> The correct one is Imaginate but how can I tell?
>>

>> (2) If I run this command:
>> FTYPE .JPG "C:\Program Files\FSPlayer\FSPlayer.exe"
>> or
>> FTYPE JPG "C:\Program Files\FSPlayer\FSPlayer.exe"
>> then I the message says not found.
>>
>> Using the ASSOC command is confusing because running 'ASSOC
>> .JPG' tells me
>> .JPG = JPGFILE
>> So I use this information and run:
>> FTYPE JPGFILE "C:\Program Files\FSPlayer\FSPlayer.exe"
>> then I also get a not found.
>>
>> Using 'ASSOC JPG' (with no dot) fails to find the extension.
>>
>> After all this work, I think it might be much easier to edit
>> the registry direct than to use this approach. And that is too
>> inefficient a way as well.
>>

>> BY THE WAY .. the document "edit installation options for
>> applications" at http://snipurl.com/c7mv also deals with file
>> extensions.
>>
>> As that document says, I ran GPEDIT.MSC to launch the Group
>> Policy Editor. In the Group Policy Editor both the Software
>> Installation menus are empty ('Computer Configuration' and
>> 'User Configuration)'.
>>
>> Seems that Software Installation needs to be added. See
>> http://snipurl.com/c7lg How is this done? I already have the
>> DLL referred to (appmgmts.dll) in the System32 folder.
>>
>> Is there an easier way to get the tool mentioned in the Help
>> Center?
>>
>> ==============================>
>>
>> lars_assoc@ELVISsystem.PRESLEYwanadoo.co.uk
>> (remove the singer before replying)
>>

>> On 22 Jan 2005, David Candy wrote:
>>>
>>> Type assoc and ftype in help.

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 12:24:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Well none of it is designed for current windows. It will work great on NT4. But you are putting %1 in aren't you? But note there are at least four things that override this. Open With dialogs choices override file associations. In File Associations the way you are doing it is the third way of three of specifing a command.

C:\Documents and Settings\David Candy>assoc .jpg
..jpg=jpegfile

C:\Documents and Settings\David Candy>ftype jpegfile
jpegfile="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PhotoEd\PHOTOED.EXE" "%
1"
http://www.uscricket.com
"Lars" <see.other.header@x.x> wrote in message news:95E9BA1093ABF51D7E@130.133.1.4...
> On 22 Jan 2005, David Candy wrote:
>>
>> You use assoc first to find the file type.
>>

> David, if you take another look at what you replied to, then I think
> I said I did use ASSOC and I found it confusing and of no help.
>

>> "Lars" <lars_assoc@ELVISsystem.PRESLEYwanadoo.co.uk> wrote in
>>
>>> David, there are two problems with ASSOC and FTYPE.
>>>
>>> (1) Many applications seem to have created their own
>>> extension. So when I run 'FTYPE JPG' it is not found. However
>>> running just 'FTYPE' lists these entries for JPG:
>>>
>>> Firegraphic.jpg="C:\Program Files\Firegraphic
>>> 6\Firegraphic.exe" "%1" Imaginate.JPG="C:\Program
>>> Files\Imaginate\Imaginate.exe" "%1" IrfanView.jpg="C:\Program
>>> Files\Irfanview\i_view32.exe" "%1"
>>>
>>> The correct one is Imaginate but how can I tell?
>>>

>>> (2) If I run this command:
>>> FTYPE .JPG "C:\Program Files\FSPlayer\FSPlayer.exe"
>>> or
>>> FTYPE JPG "C:\Program Files\FSPlayer\FSPlayer.exe"
>>> then I the message says not found.
>>>
>>> Using the ASSOC command is confusing because running 'ASSOC
>>> .JPG' tells me
>>> .JPG = JPGFILE
>>> So I use this information and run:
>>> FTYPE JPGFILE "C:\Program Files\FSPlayer\FSPlayer.exe"
>>> then I also get a not found.
>>>
>>> Using 'ASSOC JPG' (with no dot) fails to find the extension.
>>>
>>> After all this work, I think it might be much easier to edit
>>> the registry direct than to use this approach. And that is too
>>> inefficient a way as well.
>>>

>>> BY THE WAY .. the document "edit installation options for
>>> applications" at http://snipurl.com/c7mv also deals with file
>>> extensions.
>>>
>>> As that document says, I ran GPEDIT.MSC to launch the Group
>>> Policy Editor. In the Group Policy Editor both the Software
>>> Installation menus are empty ('Computer Configuration' and
>>> 'User Configuration)'.
>>>
>>> Seems that Software Installation needs to be added. See
>>> http://snipurl.com/c7lg How is this done? I already have the
>>> DLL referred to (appmgmts.dll) in the System32 folder.
>>>
>>> Is there an easier way to get the tool mentioned in the Help
>>> Center?
>>>
>>> ==============================>
>>>
>>> lars_assoc@ELVISsystem.PRESLEYwanadoo.co.uk
>>> (remove the singer before replying)

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:37:59 PM

David Candy wrote:
| > You use assoc first to find the file type.

"Lars" <see.other.header@x.x> wrote:
| David, if you take another look at what you replied to, then I think
| I said I did use ASSOC and I found it confusing and of no help.

But "assoc .jpg" gives: .jpg=jpegfile
not | >> .JPG = JPGFILE

!