Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming Rig - Here's what I thought...

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 3, 2012 10:59:24 AM

Hey guys!

I have been trying to make a new gaming rig but I have never created my own computer before and have only ever purchased laptops. My current laptop seems to be getting a little slow so I thought it was about time to invest in something new. I'm tired of having to purchase a whole new system and I would just like to purchase something that I can upgrade every so often. I have spent hours searching the internet trying to see if everything is compatible and whats the best and whats the most affordable, etc, etc... and this is my final product... or near final product.

I am still not entirely sure if everything in this set-up is compatible or if there are any parts that are better or more afordable that I can swap out. But, I was hoping if anyone would be able to tell me if this rig is any good and if it is all compatible. I wanted to just purcahase something from Origin PC's or Alienware or another website like that but a few of my mates said that I should just customise myself a computer as I can save up to $1000 or more and probably get something that is better quality.

Here is my Rig (so far): http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_list...

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler - $39
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003 - $99
Samsung SH-222BB SATA DVDRW Drive OEM - $29
Crucial M4 SSD 128GB - $158
Antec Three Hundred Case - $58
TP-Link TL-WN951N Wireless N PCI Adapter - $35
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM - $99
Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX (2x4GB) DDR3 - $65
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB - $529
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3 Motherboard - $249
Antec High Current Gamer 620W Modular HCG-620M - $115
Intel Core i7 3770 (Ivy Bridge) - $329

Total - $1797.00

All help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S - A monitor recommendation would be prime if it was not too much to ask aswell. I will be most likely using HDMI. Also if it is any help, I usually play games by Blizzard and I will be trying Guild Wars 2 aswell So I don't need a very demanding PC but I would like to play the games at their maximum (or close to maximum) settings.

Cheers! :D 

More about : gaming rig thought

June 3, 2012 11:17:10 AM

My question is how wouldn't that run any game on ultra settings? Lol.

You could save cash by switching the CPU to an i5. And newegg has a $50 off deal on a ssd and hdd combo package.
m
l
Related resources
June 3, 2012 11:34:08 AM

Thomo102 said:
Hey guys!

I have been trying to make a new gaming rig but I have never created my own computer before and have only ever purchased laptops. My current laptop seems to be getting a little slow so I thought it was about time to invest in something new. I'm tired of having to purchase a whole new system and I would just like to purchase something that I can upgrade every so often. I have spent hours searching the internet trying to see if everything is compatible and whats the best and whats the most affordable, etc, etc... and this is my final product... or near final product.

I am still not entirely sure if everything in this set-up is compatible or if there are any parts that are better or more afordable that I can swap out. But, I was hoping if anyone would be able to tell me if this rig is any good and if it is all compatible. I wanted to just purcahase something from Origin PC's or Alienware or another website like that but a few of my mates said that I should just customise myself a computer as I can save up to $1000 or more and probably get something that is better quality.

Here is my Rig (so far): http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_list...

Total - $1797.00

P.S - A monitor recommendation would be prime if it was not too much to ask aswell. I will be most likely using HDMI. Also if it is any help, I usually play games by Blizzard and I will be trying Guild Wars 2 aswell So I don't need a very demanding PC but I would like to play the games at their maximum (or close to maximum) settings.

1:i would get some lower voltage ram such as crucial baillistix sport or mushkin blackline. dont get any ram that is higher than 1..5v

2: get a h77 mobo if you are not overclocking such as the h77-v from asus
m
l
June 3, 2012 11:37:11 AM

Your system basically looks great but it is overkill for your demands.
Quote:
I usually play games by Blizzard and I will be trying Guild Wars 2 aswell So I don't need a very demanding PC but I would like to play the games at their maximum (or close to maximum) settings.

First of all you could switch to the Core i5 3570K. It doesn't get any better for gaming than that. The i7 only outperforms it on heavy multi-threaded applications like video rendering.
Secondly you could save up on the graphics card. The GTX 670 is very powerful and probably a lot more than you need. If you tell us what resolution you are going to be gaming on, we can provide advice. I think something like an HD7850 is what you are looking for.
Lastly unless you plan to aggressively overclock, which I assume you won't considering this is your first build, any Z77based board from ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI or AsRock of around $100-$150 will suit you just fine. Correct me if I'm wrong and you do need all the features of the mobo you listed.
m
l
June 3, 2012 11:38:07 AM

We cant get to your wishlist unless we have a PC Case Gear account (which I conveniently do actually)

Don't see any problems with those components except the core ones. CPU, Mobo and RAM.

The RAM is rated at 1.65v, which voids the warranty on Intel CPU's I think and its just more energy expense. These sticks are essentially the same but at 1.5v and a better brand. They cost a bit more, but they also have a faster latency than the ones you picked.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

CPU and Mobo, why a Z68 board with an Ivy Bridge? Ivy Bridge and Z77 is best paired together, like Sandy Bridge and Z68 before it. This way you use the PCI-3, USB 3 support if you get a case with front ports along with some other small benefits. To keep with your blue theme, this mobo should do nicely.

Also why an i7? Gaming doesn't make use of its Hyperthreading and in some cases suffers for it. The current gaming king is the i5 3570k.

With the cash you save elsewhere, you can get a better case that has front USB3 support.

Rest of the build looks great. Just remember you can get cheaper parts elsewhere if you live in the area (Melbourne is where PC Case Gear is based), for instance the Operating System can be had cheaper here at MSY.
http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=5821

And the Hard Drive here at uMart.
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...

Look around some more and you can cut a bit off costs.
Good luck with the build.

Ah yes, monitor. I have been personally eyeing this one for a while. 120hz display means that it support's up to 120fps rather than the 60fps supported on 60mhz monitors (only available on Displayport input, which your card supports). This also means its 3D ready. Its got decent reviews as well.
http://www.anandtech.com/print/5231
m
l
June 3, 2012 11:38:23 AM

your prices are high. the crucial m4 is $125 at newegg regular 150. just as an example. no reason to get an i7. and a K processor will last you longer as you can.overclock it when you hit bottlenecks
m
l
June 3, 2012 11:41:41 AM

unksol said:
your prices are high. the crucial m4 is $125 at newegg regular 150. just as an example. no reason to get an i7. and a K processor will last you longer as you can.overclock it when you hit bottlenecks

Such is the bane of computer builders in Australia, everything is a slight bit more expensive
m
l
June 3, 2012 11:42:10 AM

Thomo102 said:
Hey guys!

Total - $1797.00

there was no need to type so much if you had payed just a little more attention,now without any further delay,please fill this form so that we can help you with our best in shortest possible time-
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...
m
l
June 3, 2012 8:39:02 PM

Cheers for all the help. I will make all the recommended changes to the rig.
m
l
!