Sign in with
Your question

New PC not picking up old graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 4, 2012 3:20:22 PM

Today, I finished building my new gaming PC. As I cannot yet afford the graphics card I'd like, I've had to result in using the one from my previous computer. However, the new build doesn't seem to be picking up the graphics card. In computer properties, it just comes up with the integrated graphics and nothing else. When I turned off integrated graphics, the computer just beeped 4 times telling me that there's no graphics card enabled. However, a look inside the case reveals the card does have power as the fan is spinning. I have tried updating drivers, with no result.

The graphics card is a Nvidia 8600GT

Build specs:

Mainboard : Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
Chipset : AMD 780
Processor : AMD FX 4100 @ 3717MHz
Physical Memory : 16384MB (4 x 4096 DDR3-SDRAM )
Video Card : ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics
Hard Disk : Western Digital WD2000JD-55HBB0 ATA Device (200GB)
Monitor Type : X19W - 19 inches
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index : 4.6 on 7.9
Manufacturer : System manufacturer
Bios : American Megatrends Inc.
Physical Memory : 16384MB DDR3-SDRAM
LPC bus : Yes
PCI Bus : Yes
Bus PCI-Express : Yes
USB Bus : Yes
SMBus/i2c Bus : Yes
Bus HyperTransport : Yes
Bus QPI : No
Bus CardBus : No
Bus FireWire : No

More about : picking graphics card

a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2012 4:50:03 PM

Why on Earth would you build a new gaming pc with a FX4100, that's the worst choice of a cpu you could have possible made. Even a Pentium G is waaaay faster, and cheaper I might add.

Maybe the video card is dead, I have no idea. Try powering down and re-seating the video card.

Make sure integrated graphics is turned off, make sure your monitor is plugged into the video card and not the motherboard.
April 4, 2012 5:03:18 PM

geekapproved said:
Why on Earth would you build a new gaming pc with a FX4100, that's the worst choice of a cpu you could have possible made. Even a Pentium G is waaaay faster, and cheaper I might add.

Maybe the video card is dead, I have no idea. Try powering down and re-seating the video card.

Make sure integrated graphics is turned off, make sure your monitor is plugged into the video card and not the motherboard.

Don't be a douche.
Related resources
April 4, 2012 5:05:36 PM

Jarrrp, have you tried to disable the onboard graphics? Try to install the graphics card into a different slot. You may also have to install a previous driver, not the most current one, but one that is just a little bit older. Try that and see if it helps ok?
a c 175 U Graphics card
April 4, 2012 5:20:04 PM

do you plug the monitor cable to the card?
April 4, 2012 5:21:19 PM

xunicronx said:
Don't be a douche.

Agreed. Dont be a douche!
April 4, 2012 5:29:04 PM

refillable said:
do you plug the monitor cable to the card?

My intergrated has just stopped working too. There's no signal coming out of either of them.
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2012 5:29:15 PM

It's just the truth guys. I wish people would come here for advice before they build.

Personally I'm an AMD fan, always have been, but their new cpu's are absolute garbage for gaming. Even a Pentium G dual core outgames FX4100, 6100 and 8120 octo-core in gaming.
April 4, 2012 5:51:14 PM

geekapproved said:
It's just the truth guys. I wish people would come here for advice before they build.

Personally I'm an AMD fan, always have been, but their new cpu's are absolute garbage for gaming. Even a Pentium G dual core outgames FX4100, 6100 and 8120 octo-core in gaming.

*cough* I am looking at your system specs and your words seem to cry out to me just the same... why would you build an i3 2100 to game on? Before removing the splinter from someone else's eye remove the plank from your own.

Keep in mind that maybe he bought it cheap used or someone gave it to him... It could be just new to him and not a brand new system at all. Being passionate to help and educate someone is fine but I will quote the others "Don't be a douche"
April 4, 2012 6:10:39 PM

jarrrp said:
Today, I finished building my new gaming PC. As I cannot yet afford the graphics card I'd like, I've had to result in using the one from my previous computer. However, the new build doesn't seem to be picking up the graphics card. In computer properties, it just comes up with the integrated graphics and nothing else. When I turned off integrated graphics, the computer just beeped 4 times telling me that there's no graphics card enabled. However, a look inside the case reveals the card does have power as the fan is spinning. I have tried updating drivers, with no result.

The graphics card is a Nvidia 8600GT

Build specs:

Processor : AMD FX 4100 @ 3717MHz
Physical Memory : 16384MB (4 x 4096 DDR3-SDRAM )
Video Card : ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics
Hard Disk : Western Digital WD2000JD-55HBB0 ATA Device (200GB)
Monitor Type : X19W - 19 inches
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index : 4.6 on 7.9
Manufacturer : System manufacturer
Bios : American Megatrends Inc.
Physical Memory : 16384MB DDR3-SDRAM
LPC bus : Yes
PCI Bus : Yes
Bus PCI-Express : Yes
USB Bus : Yes
SMBus/i2c Bus : Yes
Bus HyperTransport : Yes
Bus QPI : No
Bus CardBus : No
Bus FireWire : No

Boot up with the onboard graphics chip but leave the video card installed. Go to the Nvidia website to the download drivers area. Do the auto detect system graphics card and it may pick up your card and download drivers for it.

This is what I had to do when I built my system and my video card wasn't recognized in any of my 3 pci slots. Once I did that with the auto detect everything was good after that.
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2012 6:32:08 PM

BlackDeath said:
*cough* I am looking at your system specs and your words seem to cry out to me just the same... why would you build an i3 2100 to game on? Before removing the splinter from someone else's eye remove the plank from your own.

Keep in mind that maybe he bought it cheap used or someone gave it to him... It could be just new to him and not a brand new system at all. Being passionate to help and educate someone is fine but I will quote the others "Don't be a douche"

Obviously you don't have a clue about cpu's. My little i3 is faster than a Phenom II X4 955/965/975BE, FX4100 (even at 4.5ghz), FX6100, FX8120 in gaming while only consuming about 30w vs 95w or 125w. It's also Ivy Bridge ready.

Makes sense to me.

Besides, I'm not a kid gamer, I play games occasionally @ 1680x1050 (22"). My hardware is more than capable for that I can assure you. My video card benches on par with my kids 6870.

Considering the cpu just came out 2 months ago, I can pretty much rule out him buying it used or someone giving it to him by using common sense.
April 4, 2012 6:39:36 PM

geekapproved said:
Obviously you don't have a clue about cpu's. My little i3 is faster than a Phenom II X4 955/965/975BE, FX4100, FX6100, FX8120 in gaming while only consuming about 30w vs 95w or 125w. It's also Ivy Bridge ready. Besides, I'm not a kid gamer, I play games occasionally.

Makes sense to me.

Considering the cpu just came out 2 months ago, I can pretty much rule out him buying it used or someone giving it to him by using common sense.

See there you go again with your words insulting people. No one said that the processor that you are using is not as good as his etc.. I will reply to you in regards to saying I do not have a clue about CPU's.. I have been working on computers since 8086-8088 with MFM and RLL hard drives etc.. I am by no means a kid gamer but I game on mine all the time. Maybe in your circle of friends your the smart one but on the forums you should take in what you read first and read what you type before you send things because you make yourself look like your trying to over compensate. Just some advice to you.. maybe it will stop people from thinking your a douche on here?

:hello: 
April 4, 2012 6:48:16 PM

Reset your bios :) 
April 4, 2012 7:08:53 PM

chase3567 said:
Boot up with the onboard graphics chip but leave the video card installed. Go to the Nvidia website to the download drivers area. Do the auto detect system graphics card and it may pick up your card and download drivers for it.

This is what I had to do when I built my system and my video card wasn't recognized in any of my 3 pci slots. Once I did that with the auto detect everything was good after that.

I tried that. It told me I had no nvidia hardware installed. Whilst my computer is on an connected to the intergrated, I decided to plug my nvidia in. The screen immediately went blank. It's as if it knows it's there but it's trying to run them both at the same time. However, when I disable the on board graphics, the computer just beeps to indicate a graphics failure. Suggesting there's not graphics hardware in it.
April 4, 2012 8:00:08 PM

jarrrp said:
I tried that. It told me I had no nvidia hardware installed. Whilst my computer is on an connected to the intergrated, I decided to plug my nvidia in. The screen immediately went blank. It's as if it knows it's there but it's trying to run them both at the same time. However, when I disable the on board graphics, the computer just beeps to indicate a graphics failure. Suggesting there's not graphics hardware in it.

You...plugged a PCIe card into a live slot? Heh. I must be reading that wrong. :) 
Anyway, have you verified the setting under 'Advanced\Chipset\Primary Video Controller' options? It should be set to GFX0 (the 16x slot) first. Do you have any other PCIe card you could use to troubleshoot, so you can rule out the slot?
April 4, 2012 8:52:18 PM

geekapproved said:
Obviously you don't have a clue about cpu's. My little i3 is faster than a Phenom II X4 955/965/975BE, FX4100 (even at 4.5ghz), FX6100, FX8120 in gaming while only consuming about 30w vs 95w or 125w. It's also Ivy Bridge ready.

Makes sense to me.

Besides, I'm not a kid gamer, I play games occasionally @ 1680x1050 (22"). My hardware is more than capable for that I can assure you. My video card benches on par with my kids 6870.

what century are yall from
April 4, 2012 8:58:06 PM

hes asking for help not criticizm.
April 4, 2012 8:59:10 PM

This problem is now fixed. I'll think twice before seeking help in a forum again. All you get is smug and unhelpful comments.
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2012 11:14:31 PM

BlackDeath said:
See there you go again with your words insulting people. No one said that the processor that you are using is not as good as his etc.. I will reply to you in regards to saying I do not have a clue about CPU's.. I have been working on computers since 8086-8088 with MFM and RLL hard drives etc.. I am by no means a kid gamer but I game on mine all the time. Maybe in your circle of friends your the smart one but on the forums you should take in what you read first and read what you type before you send things because you make yourself look like your trying to over compensate. Just some advice to you.. maybe it will stop people from thinking your a douche on here?

:hello: 

Where was the insult? I must have missed it because there was no insult. In fact, YOU insulted my computer did you not?? Hypocrite in the making.

And if saying you don't have a clue about cpu's, and you admit you don't, is insulting, well then you must be a very sensitive man, I'm sorry if your panties got bunched up.

Also, you seem to insinuate that I care what people think about me. I don't. I come here to help people, and that's what I do. Had the poster come here earlier, he would have a much better machine for less money.

I don't come here to make a bunch of kid gamers think I'm cool, like some other people I know, I have kid older than most of them. I come here for help and to help others.
April 5, 2012 10:18:37 AM

geekapproved said:
Where was the insult? I must have missed it because there was no insult. In fact, YOU insulted my computer did you not?? Hypocrite in the making.

And if saying you don't have a clue about cpu's, and you admit you don't, is insulting, well then you must be a very sensitive man, I'm sorry if your panties got bunched up.

Also, you seem to insinuate that I care what people think about me. I don't. I come here to help people, and that's what I do. Had the poster come here earlier, he would have a much better machine for less money.

I don't come here to make a bunch of kid gamers think I'm cool, like some other people I know, I have kid older than most of them. I come here for help and to help others.

My setup is perfect for what I want to do. Soon, I will be adding a Nvidia 560 GT DIRECT CU II. It will then be far more capable than anything I want to run on it. The CPU I have came as part of a bundle I purchased. Because some of us are on a budget. I don't care if I could have got this or that for cheaper. The point is, I'm happy with what I've got and that's all that matters. I don't see a reason to upgrade my CPU for a long time. You were also wrong when you said my CPU has been out for 2 months. I got it for Christmas and had been tracking it on eBay for about 3 months prior to that. It was also brand new when I bought it. If you say you "help" people, why do you just give them smug remarks? Not helpful in the slightest.

Ps. BlackDeath said you were insulting people because you suggested they didn't know anything about CPUs. Just to clear that up for you.
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2012 4:48:26 PM

Just to clear you up, he first insulted MY pc, before I told him he didn't know anything about cpu's, clearly if he did know something about cpu's, he wouldn't have insulted it.

I simply stated a facts, you took it as a smug remark. You could have gotten something MUCH faster for the same money. Period.

Buying a low end card like a GTX560 is not going to make your machine capable of anything you want to run on it, lol, because the cpu will hold you back first.

Even if you overclock your FX4100 to 4.5ghz, it's still slower than a $100 stock i3 dual core in gaming, even with a $55 motherboard. Fact.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

Sometimes the facts can be disturbing, but don't get all upset about it, just ask for advice BEFORE you purchase next time.\

I've earned 10 badges by helping people, they chose ME for the badges, I didn't give myself badges.
April 6, 2012 7:56:33 PM

geekapproved said:
Just to clear you up, he first insulted MY pc, before I told him he didn't know anything about cpu's, clearly if he did know something about cpu's, he wouldn't have insulted it.

I simply stated a facts, you took it as a smug remark. You could have gotten something MUCH faster for the same money. Period.

Buying a low end card like a GTX560 is not going to make your machine capable of anything you want to run on it, lol, because the cpu will hold you back first.

Even if you overclock your FX4100 to 4.5ghz, it's still slower than a $100 stock i3 dual core in gaming, even with a $55 motherboard. Fact.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

Sometimes the facts can be disturbing, but don't get all upset about it, just ask for advice BEFORE you purchase next time.\

I've earned 10 badges by helping people, they chose ME for the badges, I didn't give myself badges.

Ok first off let me explain because somehow you lost the point to all this in translation. You have been identified as coming across as a "douche bag" You apparently do no realize how you come off with your words. It is quite obvious you do not care about what people think of you when it is bad. You like to brag that you were given badges for helping people.

The reason I said anything about your CPU was to let you see how you come off talking crap to him but apparently you do not understand that. I have a i5 750 overclocked to 4Ghz so to me I wouldn't bother purchasing a i3 anything. Did you come on here and consult anyone before your purchase? I could say the same thing.. I could have priced out a better system that is faster and would last you longer etc....

No one said you do not know anything its how you communicate with people on here. Even if you are 100% correct in your advice some people can not afford the little extra or agree with you. You seem to have an attitude of some kind. I see it online quite often and mostly from teenagers because you can say what you want and how you want without consequences. So you preaching I am an adult and have a kid etc.. you should learn how to address your audience so they look up to you with respect and appreciate your advice, it will be better received. example... You are not in the garage with your buddies drinking a beer saying what you want and how you want cutting people down being the cool or funny guy. So take it as an insult or just sit calmly and listen and think before you speak. There is my advice....
April 6, 2012 8:04:38 PM

jarrrp said:
My setup is perfect for what I want to do. Soon, I will be adding a Nvidia 560 GT DIRECT CU II. It will then be far more capable than anything I want to run on it. The CPU I have came as part of a bundle I purchased. Because some of us are on a budget. I don't care if I could have got this or that for cheaper. The point is, I'm happy with what I've got and that's all that matters. I don't see a reason to upgrade my CPU for a long time. You were also wrong when you said my CPU has been out for 2 months. I got it for Christmas and had been tracking it on eBay for about 3 months prior to that. It was also brand new when I bought it. If you say you "help" people, why do you just give them smug remarks? Not helpful in the slightest.

Ps. BlackDeath said you were insulting people because you suggested they didn't know anything about CPUs. Just to clear that up for you.

Sorry you had to experience that but being online your bound to have negativity. I am glad you straightened it all out. If anything it was a learning experience as frustrating as I am sure that was. However you learned something and I'm sure you will build on that. Thank you for understanding what I was getting at and acknowledging me. When you truly listen and are slow to speak you will learn more and communicate more effectively.

If you need any further help please use the forums as an outlet and Google of course helps you find things quickly. You can PM me if you have any further questions I have been at this for 18+ years. It has not been just my jobs but my passion as well and currently I support over 1200 people at my current position and I am a competitive gamer :) 

a c 217 U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 8:11:29 PM

jarrrp said:
This problem is now fixed. I'll think twice before seeking help in a forum again. All you get is smug and unhelpful comments.

Don't let one jackass ruin your day.

While THG did recently do an article comparing your system with an i3 system and showed that the i3 won overall for about the same cost, the results were close, and they didn't consider that the motherboards for the FX-4100 were cheaper. You'll be fine.
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 8:19:41 PM

Guys stop. This isn't the place for forum war.
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 8:22:51 AM

jarrrp said:

I have the same motherboard and pretty much exactly the same problem. I desperatly need to know how you fixed it!
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2013 10:08:07 AM

geekapproved said:

yeah right... my 8120 would like to have a word with you.
Just oc those things mines on 4,73 and runs everything( except swtor) perfectly
!