Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New build, ~$3.5k

Tags:
  • New Build
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
June 3, 2012 2:33:23 PM

Looking for your opinions on parts for a high-ish end new build: i7 3930k/680 SLI.

Approximate Purchase Date: This month
Budget Range: ~$3500
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, audio/video editing, productivity apps
Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, Amazon
Country: USA
Parts Preferences: Intel, Asus
Overclocking: Yes
SLI or Crossfire: SLI
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Parts list based on initial consideration:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9nGN

Would be interested to know about suggested fan setups for the HAF X, and would also welcome opinions on CPU coolers (I'm open to an off-the-shelf water solution) and PSUs appropriate for this rig.

Thanks in advance for your input!

More about : build

June 3, 2012 3:26:38 PM

Well, 1050w is over the top. 680sli only requires around 800w. Also can you tell me why you need that $430 mobo? You might have a really good reason, I am just curious though
Related resources
June 3, 2012 6:15:00 PM

^+1,a single 670 is able to ax out almost any game at 1080p.
@OP,better build a $1500 rig now and save the rest because in a year or so a build that cost half of $3500 will best it.technology changes very fast and only way to keep up with it is regular upgrades instead of dumping a big at once.
June 3, 2012 6:17:19 PM

Or you can just build a fantastic 1,500 dollar build and flush the other 2 grand down the toilet....
June 3, 2012 6:20:30 PM

cool story eggbrook. tell it again :p 
June 3, 2012 6:23:13 PM

eggbrook said:
Or you can just build a fantastic 1,500 dollar build and flush the other 2 grand down the toilet....

why not give them to me...... :whistle: ....... :lol: 
June 3, 2012 6:28:04 PM

For a GTX 680 in SLI, you can get by on 750W.
June 3, 2012 6:29:00 PM

yeah but i won't get 750w with $3500 pc LOL
June 3, 2012 6:33:58 PM

That makes no sense. You are basically saying it is okay to throw away money for a PSU he won't even need.
June 3, 2012 6:37:02 PM

azeem40 said:
That makes no sense. You are basically saying it is okay to throw away money for a PSU he won't even need.

I think he was making fun of that. Because it seems like some people are just recommending useless stuff because he has money
June 4, 2012 2:53:13 AM

azeem40 said:
That makes no sense. You are basically saying it is okay to throw away money for a PSU he won't even need.


spending 10 bucks extra for 100w more is not 'throwing money' :whistle: 
June 4, 2012 4:26:31 AM

LGA 2011 uses more wattage than an IB build. 850w would work, but nothing wrong with having some headroom.

I would do something like this with a pair of 670's and a 3770K.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $339.99
ASUS P8Z77 WS LGA 1155 Intel Z77 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard | PCI Express 3.0 x16: 4 (x16/x16/0/0 or x16/x8/x8/0 or x8/x8/x8/x8)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $299.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C10Q-32GAB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $137.99
XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus Silver 750 Watt Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $66.00
Cooler Master TPC 812 RR-T812-24PK-R1 120mm Sleeve with Dual Vertical Vapor Chamber TPC 812 CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $579.99 FREE SHIPPING
ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3-512GM-C 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
June 4, 2012 4:29:42 AM

hellfire24 said:
spending 10 bucks extra for 100w more is not 'throwing money' :whistle: 

An unreasonable 100W more is not worth the $. However, now that I see it was LGA 2011, you're fine. :p 
June 4, 2012 5:10:06 AM

Why_Me said:
LGA 2011 uses more wattage than an IB build. 850w would work, but nothing wrong with having some headroom.

I would do something like this with a pair of 670's and a 3770K.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $339.99
ASUS P8Z77 WS LGA 1155 Intel Z77 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard | PCI Express 3.0 x16: 4 (x16/x16/0/0 or x16/x8/x8/0 or x8/x8/x8/x8)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $299.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C10Q-32GAB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $137.99
XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus Silver 750 Watt Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $66.00
Cooler Master TPC 812 RR-T812-24PK-R1 120mm Sleeve with Dual Vertical Vapor Chamber TPC 812 CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $579.99 FREE SHIPPING
ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3-512GM-C 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)


who in the blue hell needs 4 x16 slots and a 512GB SSD??
!