Time to SLI, using a used graphics card

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Alright its time to SLI my gtx 580, i have an EVGA gtx 580 1.5gb right now with a 3 year warranty.

Can people who buy used video cards elaborate on there experiances? Ive seen gtx 580s for ~$300 on ebay. I would love to take advantage of that but im worried about getting it and then it dying 6 months later.

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
I've been buying used computer components since 2000 and I've only had one problem which was simply a CPU underclocked.
I do test everything before actually buying and I try to figure out if the guy selling actually knows his stuff or has just bought this awesome new computer on FNAC(or whatever you guys have on the USA).

My cousin however has never gotten a decent part and nowadays he only buys retail.
Personally I believe you can save serious cash buying used if you take certain precautions.
It's a gamble

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I bought a 4870x2 on ebay, no problemo.

Though going thru ebay+paypal, they offer a level of protection, just read the small print (some sellers sell 'sold as is' which leaves you little comeback).

Ask to confirm it's working state, and confirm that they won't ship something broken, then if it is borked, paypal will retrieve you dosh.

Though going through a freeads or something that offers no protection, you're on your own and you have to check thoroughly.

bac0n

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010

I just recently bought a used 460GTX on ebay to SLI with my exsiting one, the experience was just fine. Just make sure you buy from someone who has posiitve rep and will at least accept returns for something that is DOA. I went the used route because it was cheaper and I wanted the exact same card I already had just to be safe for SLI. Ebay is so tightly integrated with paypal now that if you say it did not arrive as advertised or never arrived, etc they won't get their money and you can file a claim thru ebay with paypal, etc.

Thanks,
Tim