MS Serif font

After using a registry cleaner program, I lost the ms serif font. I think
this was the font used in a lot of program dialogue boxes, such as roboform,
and some of the installing programs boxes. what happens, is that the letters
are too big and run off the screen now, or else I get the top half of one
line, and the bottom half of another line. I have searched google to find
the font to download, but have not been successful. If I can get the font
back, will these programs automatically pick the font back up and put things
right again in the dialogue boxes, or will I have to re associate the font
with them? If so, how?
tnx in advance for any and all help
Jim
8 answers Last reply
More about serif font

    Jim,

    See if a System Restore rollback helps, or Undo the configuration in your Registry cleaner program (if the feature is available).

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Jim" <jheidino@spamswbell.net> wrote in message news:uNJqqBKAFHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    After using a registry cleaner program, I lost the ms serif font. I think
    this was the font used in a lot of program dialogue boxes, such as roboform,
    and some of the installing programs boxes. what happens, is that the letters
    are too big and run off the screen now, or else I get the top half of one
    line, and the bottom half of another line. I have searched google to find
    the font to download, but have not been successful. If I can get the font
    back, will these programs automatically pick the font back up and put things
    right again in the dialogue boxes, or will I have to re associate the font
    with them? If so, how?
    tnx in advance for any and all help
    Jim

    Thanks for your speedy reply, Ramesh, however, by the time I had thought to
    use the system restore, too much time had passed, and I have since
    uninstalled the trail program for the registry editor (my bad on both of
    these solutions)
    Would there be any other feasible way of fixing this, do you think?
    I am wondering why there is no place to download this font, as I thought it
    was one of the required fonts for windows? just a thought
    thank you
    Jim

[...]

    THANKS so much Andy, this is EXACTLY what I needed, my dialogue boxes all
    work like they should again. tnx to good people like yourself and Ramesh. my
    heartfelt thanks to both
    Jim

    "Andrew Bailey" <andy.j.bailey@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > The fonts are attatched to this reply...
    >
    > Andy
    >
    > "Jim" <jheidino@spamswbell.net> wrote in message
    >> After using a registry cleaner program, I lost the ms serif font. I think
    >> this was the font used in a lot of program dialogue boxes, such as
    > roboform,
    >> and some of the installing programs boxes. what happens, is that the
    > letters
    >> are too big and run off the screen now, or else I get the top half of one
    >> line, and the bottom half of another line. I have searched google to find
    >> the font to download, but have not been successful. If I can get the font
    >> back, will these programs automatically pick the font back up and put
    > things
    >> right again in the dialogue boxes, or will I have to re associate the
    >> font
    >> with them? If so, how?
    >> tnx in advance for any and all help
    >> Jim

    Thanks Ramesh, I used Andy's fonts, and just added them to the fonts folder,
    checked the path you gave here, and they showed up in the right pane, and
    now my dialogue boxes all work correctly. I can see all the wording again,
    what a relief!! thanks so much to both you and Andy
    Jim

    Jim,

    Open Regedit and navigate to these two locations:

    NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes

    -and-

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts

    Backup the keys to separate REG files and save it in a safe location.

    Apply the attached REG file (fonts.reg - ~10KB)

    NOTE If the actual .FON (Font file) is missing, see Andrew Bailey's post
    which contains the font attachment in a Zip file.

    --

    Thanks for your speedy reply, Ramesh, however, by the time I had thought to
    use the system restore, too much time had passed, and I have since
    uninstalled the trail program for the registry editor (my bad on both of
    these solutions)
    Would there be any other feasible way of fixing this, do you think?
    I am wondering why there is no place to download this font, as I thought it
    was one of the required fonts for windows? just a thought
    thank you
    Jim

    You're welcome Jim, and thanks for the thanks ;)

    Andy

    > THANKS so much Andy, this is EXACTLY what I needed, my dialogue boxes all
    > work like they should again. tnx to good people like yourself and Ramesh.
    my
    > heartfelt thanks to both
    > Jim
    >

    > "Andrew Bailey" <andy.j.bailey@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > The fonts are attatched to this reply...
    > >
    > > Andy
    > >
    > > "Jim" <jheidino@spamswbell.net> wrote in message
    > >> After using a registry cleaner program, I lost the ms serif font. I
    think
    > >> this was the font used in a lot of program dialogue boxes, such as
    > > roboform,
    > >> and some of the installing programs boxes. what happens, is that the
    > > letters
    > >> are too big and run off the screen now, or else I get the top half of
    one
    > >> line, and the bottom half of another line. I have searched google to
    find
    > >> the font to download, but have not been successful. If I can get the
    font
    > >> back, will these programs automatically pick the font back up and put
    > > things
    > >> right again in the dialogue boxes, or will I have to re associate the
    > >> font
    > >> with them? If so, how?
    > >> tnx in advance for any and all help
    > >> Jim

    You're welcome Jim. BTW, did you need that REG fix as well?

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Jim" <jheidino@spamswbell.net> wrote in message news:%23RECigRAFHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    THANKS so much Andy, this is EXACTLY what I needed, my dialogue boxes all
    work like they should again. tnx to good people like yourself and Ramesh. my
    heartfelt thanks to both
    Jim

    No, the reg fix wasn't needed, Ramesh, .... BUT.... I saved it in my
    'special' folder for a rainy day, just in case. I know it's extra work for
    you guys to do that kind of work, and I won't let it go to waste. tnx
    bunches, and I'm gonna watch those little registry cleaners, a l i t t l e
    bit closer from now on (g)

    You're welcome Jim. BTW, did you need that REG fix as well?

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Jim" <jheidino@spamswbell.net> wrote in message
    THANKS so much Andy, this is EXACTLY what I needed, my dialogue boxes all
    work like they should again. tnx to good people like yourself and Ramesh. my
    heartfelt thanks to both
    Jim

    Welcome, again and thanks for letting me know. Because you said this happened after running a Registry cleaner, this made me think it's a problem with \Font keys.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Jim" <jheidino@spamswbell.net> wrote in message news:%231TzthRAFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
[...]

Configuration Font Registry Cleaner Customization Windows XP