June 3, 2012 4:05:37 PM

My specs.

EVGA GTX 550ti
Corsair 750w TX
6gb Dual-Channel DDR3
GIGABYTE GA-880GM-D2H
488gb Western Digital WDC SATA
AMD FX-4100 @ 3.6ghz

My computer keeps restarting without warning (instantaneous restart). It's almost as if the power was cut off and the computer instantly restarts as it is shut down and begins trying to power back up. Sometimes, this process can be stuttered as the computer, seemingly, lacks the power to start up and just keeps sputtering. ( restarts, shuts down, quickly tries again )
This problem has just started yesterday and the only notable things I've messed with is uxtheme.dll and themeservice.dll along with explorer.exe. I made the exact same changes on this computer on its last motherboard (this one is relatively new) and I've never experienced these kinds of problems. One thing to note is that it doesn't seem to be hardware. I've stressed most of the parts in the computer using various programs (yet to memtest). I've stressed the CPU and RAM using prime95 and stressed the GPU, CPU, and RAM playing a few taxing video games. (Call of Pripyat, mainly) I've got my temperatures for the GPU up to 65c and the CPU up to 63c and the computer ran fine. Then, suddenly, I might watch Netflix or browse Facebook for a quick second only to find myself staring at a black screen as my computer frantically attempts to restart itself. Sometimes I can play games for extended periods of time and nothing will happen but, then, suddenly, black screens, motherboard screen flashpages, and that annoying sound my hard drive and PSU make when my computer starts.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions? I'd really like to get this fixed without having to purchase new parts.
My PSU and GPU are still under warranty. The GPU and mobo are only a few weeks old. PSU has been here for 2 or 3 years. HDD has been here for 4 years. RAM has been here...eh, I forget.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 3, 2012 4:14:18 PM

Use windows "system restore" to go back to a previous version of windows that worked before you messed with those files. Start>computer>system properties>system protection>system restore. You may have to use f6 to enter windows in safe mode.
m
l
June 11, 2012 2:04:29 AM

o1die said:
Use windows "system restore" to go back to a previous version of windows that worked before you messed with those files. Start>computer>system properties>system protection>system restore. You may have to use f6 to enter windows in safe mode.

Well, that solved the problem until today. I am once more experiencing these problems. I plan to reformat, I suppose. Is there a chance it's hardware related?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 11, 2012 12:47:51 PM

If a stick of ram is bad, normally you'll get bluescreens with a ram address listed. But try the format and reinstall windows. Then if your system is still unstable, run memtest with one stick at a time to check for errors. You may also try setting the ram settings in manual in the bios. Check the ram label for the timings or voltage, or use the model number to get the specs off newegg; they carry many brands and models.
m
l
Related resources
!