All Network Options Have Disappeared!!!

raginginferno

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2005
Hi

I have a laptop which by some bizarre occurence has suddenly deleted all my Network Connections. In addition if I try to click on the create new network connection link nothing happens!! its like anything network related has spontaneously been deleted by computer. Does anyone know how i could have done this or what can be done to reverse it? Thanks for all your help.

riser

Illustrious
You're under My Network Connections? I dislike that feature.

Are you on a network or have a network connection? Did you recently install SP2? Did you do any cleaning up on the machine or log in as a different user?

raginginferno

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2005
Basically, I just moved and whereas I was on wireless at my last place there's a direct network connection for this place i've moved into. In order to hook up to the LAN they gave me a CD with the anti-viral software i have to use. After I installed this some strange stuff happened: My Windows Media Player Uninstalled and now I can't get rid of Norton which is the anti-virus program I was previously running. Also when I went into device manager my ethernet card was disabled, but even after reenabling it plugging the network cable in does nothing and i can't do anything to alter my network settings

riser

Illustrious
Well, you could have included all that info in your first post because that would have made it a lot easier instead of making everyone guess.

First, the software removed those links. They're gone.

I'd contact whoever gave you that CD and find out what exactly it does. Second, I'd remove the software if you're able, if not, contact them and they'll be able to walk you through it.

When you enable your network card and connect the cable, do you get a green link light on the card? Do you get an IP address? What's it say when you check under your network settings or Start - Run - CMD - type "Ipconfig /all" and post that back here too.