Windows 8 Basic Disk - Where to get one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gb777

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Just got a Gateway Laptop with Windows 8 Basic pre-installed. I need to configure the laptop the way I need it so need to install W8 myself. I can't find anywhere to download the ISO or buy the dvd. Prev laptops I've bought had a card where & how I could get the install disks. Nothing here. I'm licensed with this laptop so I'm not asking to do anything illegal. I paid for the laptop so I should be able to install it from scratch.

Anyone know where I can download just the Win8 Basic image or where to buy the disks?

Thanks.

@gb777.

One of the reasons these laptops are dirty cheap is because the manufacturer (in your case, Gateway) made a deal with Microsoft NOT to include installable media, just restore disks. The manufacture also got a dollar or two for each piece of crap preinstalled on your computer.

So, you have two options: restore your laptop to factory default, then uninstall the crap, or (as Brett suggested) get new Windows (upgrade, retail, OEM - your choice) and install it by yourself.

gb777

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

I want the Windows 8 on a different partition so I need the install/setup disk. It's not right that I need to buy a full license when I already have it and just need the disk, don't need another key.

I tried a full retail win8 pro setup disk just to see what would happen. It wouldn't even let me install as it said the embedded product key didn't match the disk. It doesn't even let me enter the other key.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.