General Format Question

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I wonder about something I recently did.
Instead of just a regular "format c:", I typed "format c: /q" to execute a quick format. What are the differences between the two? Pros and cons? One thing is for sure, one's quicker especially with the gigabyte hard drives of today.

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
/q switch is used on a disk that has been previously formatted. It just does a high level format of the disk instead of the regular format command. Much faster than the regular format command with no switches.

/u switch is used on a new or old disk to speed up the format process or on a disk where you have received read and write errors during the use of the disk. The is an unconditional format which destroys all existing data on a disk and prevents you from using the UNFORMAT command.

/f switch is used to specify the size of the diskette to format.

/s switch is used to specify that the disk will be a system disk (making it bootable).

The /q switch cannot be used on a brand new hard disk.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
/q just wipes out the FAT. It doesn't look at anything else on the drive. It's like doing a 'quick' erase of a cdrw. Just the first few sectors are cleaned out. You can still recover every single bit of data on the drive if you use /q. That is, until you start writing to it again.