Desktop/TV dual display Setup

czerro

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I recently purchased a 60 inch LED TV. I quickly got a 35 foot HDMI cable to run from my desktop to the TV for the purpose of playing 3rd person/console style casual games with a PS3 controller from the comfort of my couch. The problem is, I cannot figure out how to use the 2 displays in tandem. My PC display is an old monitor that maxes out at 1280x1024, my new LED TV can do 1080i but defaults to 720p with catalyst. I'm fine with all of this. My problem is this: I don't want an extended desktop, I really just want my 1280x1024 desktop mirrored onto the 1280x720 TV...apparently catalyst can't do this?

2 Questions: Is there a way to mirror the desktop as described above? If not, how do I force applications to run in the extended desktop?

Right now, my solution is booting with either the PC monitor or the TV plugged in...it's really less than optimal.

MSI Hawk - 5770

Wolfshadw

Titan
With only the old monitor enabled, try changing the setting to 1280x720 and save the change. Then you should be able to clone the desktop over to the LED TV. However, I don't think this will work for playing games as I think they only display on the primary display.

I think a better solution would be to set both displays in extended mode and then in Catalyst Control Center, set up a hot-key combination (I tend to use ALT+F12) to swap primary displays. You can set this up under "Preferences" in Catalyst Control Center. Then any time you want to game on the LED TV, just hit the hot-key combo to set the primary display over.

-Wolf sends