What to upgrade when haswell comes out?

G

Hi guys. Im planning to upgrade my proc/mobo as i feel its on the blink and dying soon(had some thermal throttle problems earlier and i let it run far too long before acting on it).(im a com noob and was only alerted by a friend of mine about my paste drying off) :cry:

Im on an i7-870 along with a P-55A-G55 and GTX-670(just bought) configuration in a CM 690 2 basic currently and im not sure what mobo config/cpu config should i get when haswell is released.

Thanks!

There is no knowing what Haswell will bring us in terms of motherboards. Best come back when it's time for the upgrade :)

As for your thermal paste replacement, have you done that already? If not, I would recommend you to do so ASAP. While we're on the subject, it is unlikely that you would have shortened the life of your CPU by a significant margin even if you were experiencing throttling. After all, there was a reason why your CPU was throttling, to prevent itself from overheating any further :)

personally, i think the advancements on haswell are going to be minimal. the next big step computer wise is when pci-e 2.0 becomes fully saturated, and DDR4 ram becomes standardized. But who knows, can Intel pull off the 10% performance gain over ivy bridge on the same size fabrication process on top of their doubling of IGPU power. only time will tell.

G

Hmm. When is haswell gonna be launched? i read from some places where they say tablets and laptops are gonna be launched first.. followed by desktop versions. :cry:

Are the current ivy bridge mobos compatible with haswell chips?

Yup, i've changed the paste along with adding a hyper 212 evo heatsink.Turns out the stock intel cooler also isnt enough to beat the heat. i let the thermal throttle run for a couple of months.. i think about 6-7 months top.. hitting 90+degs constantly and BSOD/shutdowns before my friend alerted me. I didnt know. :cry:

Im not sure what fans to add though.. I bought a GT to mount in readiness for haswell and might make some changes to my casing fans as im not sure if the cooling is gonna be enough for the new chip/mobo. I guess im really wary of cooling after the whole thermal throttle fiasco.

Thanks!

Haswell will be on LGA 1150 motherboards(a new motherboard). that's the one flaw about using intel based motherboards, it changes boards way to constantly compared to AMD. Motherboards on the Intel side usually lasts for only 2 generations now. as for release date, theres nothing really confirmed last i checked.

G

I see. So that means my current P55A would not be compatible along with Ivy bridge mobos once haswell is launched?

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

It is an incompatible socket, but different sockets aren't necessarily incompatible, so it shouldn't be said to be incompatible because of the different socket number, but simply because Intel decided to break compatibility. For example, AM2+ supports AM3 CPUs and some AM2+/AM3 merged boards can support all the way from AM2 CPUs to AM3+ CPUs (quote literally almost a decade of compatibility :) ).

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Haswell is not compatible with any current Intel socket-motherboards. If your board doesn't have an LGA 1150 socket (which is extremely unlikely given that they aren't selling right now and would be almost useless as a motherboard without a Haswell CPU because as of right now, they only support Haswell), then your board doesn't support Haswell.

G

I see. Thanks for the info!

Cooling wise.. is there any case fans that provide raw performance?(i dont really mind the performance. am thinking of switching out the stock 120mm casing fans.

Thanks!

fans are judged primarily on 2 main factors and 2 sub factor for the most part:

Main Factors:
1. Performance/Amount of Air moved
2. Audibility(for instance, Scythe and Noctua generally has the more silent fans of the bunch)

Sub Factors
1. Aesthetics(looks)
2. Price

fan choices will be dictated by these 4 at different levels depending on the buyer. go look up fan benchmarks and see which ones fit your bill the best.