7000 series confusion, should I care?

0veruler

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
So getting right to it I realize that If i get a 7000 series card that I am helping future proof my machine but I compared the 6950 and the 7870 and there is literally 1FPS difference!
Again I realize that this is very general and that there are other factors like core clock speed, etc.

But I find it hard to justify spending an extra $100 just to "future-proof" my machine.

Someone please talk some sense into me :??:

i used this website to do the comparison..

Lastly I'll gladly take any personal plans, I am waiting for keplar to drop before I make the purchase but after looking this up I've been kind of flipped upside down, was planning on getting a 7850 as this is closest to what I'd like to spend..

Solution
it's more like 20%
perfrel_1920.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_7870_Twin_Frozr/26.html

0veruler

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Yes I've seen several people quote this website when talking about graphics cards

Up until recently I had never heard of it, is it fairly reputable?

Kari - Thanks for the straight up statistics in any case! I was sceptical at first but I suppose I should be looking at "relative performance" rather than specifically average FPS, and the "only 1 FPS difference" sort of works both ways if the 7870 is better in every OTHER way then its hard to argue that. Although it is still a bit to expensive :\ hopefully keplar isn't all that fantastic (or is and I can find a competitive price) and we see some drastic price drops...

EDIT: The major thing I suppose I didn't stress was the cash though. If you go farther into that review you see that the performance per dollar the 6950 is around 25% better, so aside from the 7870 being being fairly better over all, if I'm looking to build with money in mind, wouldn't I get more bang for my buck with the 7870?