Sign in with
Your question

Using legacy simulation games (MS Combat Flight Simulator, etc) in XP mode or so

Last response: in Windows 7
January 24, 2012 3:36:55 PM

I have discovered that the XP mode under windows 7 does not support the use of game controls becasue they are HID devices. Would love to play these old flight simulator games again without having to format another drive into XP. Do you know of any other virtual software that supports the game HID controlers?

Thanks,
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2012 7:12:16 PM

Hello CLondoner;

You're really better off actually running WinXP to play a lot of the old games.
It's not that hard to setup a dual or multi-boot system.

Here's a guide to setup and run Windows 7 and WinXP on the same system.
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP
You'll probably be using OPTION TWO: When Windows 7 is Installed First
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2012 7:15:12 PM

What you get at power on or during a restart is a screen like this that lets you choose with OS to load and run.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
m
l
Related resources
September 14, 2012 4:22:52 PM

The DOS emulator DOSBox runs very well under Windows 7. By using cycles=64000 (as opposed to the default 3000) you can ran very satisfactorily Flight Simulator 3.0, 4.0b and even 5.1 (though all of them in a 640x480 window that cannot be maximised: resolved by simply, before firing up DOSBox, changing your monitor resolution to 800x600!) with 20 fps as a very minimum.
m
l
September 14, 2012 4:24:58 PM

Needless to say, DOSBox under Windows 7 successfully emulates any sound card and any joystick (but one only): I have a Hotas Cougar and I can use the yoke and also the throttle (I cannot also use the CH Pedals, a minor issue in those legacy flightsims).
m
l
!