Sign in with
Your question

Is this case pointless?

Last response: in Components
September 30, 2012 9:34:24 AM

I'm looking to get a new rig and I've pretty much got everything set out in terms of what I'm getting.

The only dilema I still have is about a motherboard, which I've narrowed down to 2.

The 2 boards are the Maximus V Gene and the P8Z77-V Deluxe.

For this rig I wanted to get an ATX mobo and a full tower gaming case but the Gene is an M-ATX mobo, apart from that I can't see any features that are less appealing to my needs over the P8Z77-V Deluxe.

If I do end up getting the Gene is it still worth getting a full tower gaming case? Is there any known compatability issues with full tower gaming cases and M-ATX motherboards?

I'm sure getting a full tower case will mean better overall airflow anyway but is the space wasted and will I notice that much of a difference over a mid-tower gaming case?

Money isn't an issue because a full tower gaming case like the CM Haf-X/ CM Storm Trooper is within my budget, any advice/feedback is appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

More about : case pointless

September 30, 2012 10:07:13 AM

You are better off with a Full Tower Gaming Case if you anticipate future upgrades.

Very rarely do you see anyone using M-ATX boards for a Custom PC and I was under the impression those were actually made to benefit OEM's.

If it is a Gaming PC, your best bet is a Full ATX but then again it is really up to you.
I think both will suit your needs and you should go with what you feel comfortable working with.
September 30, 2012 10:30:45 AM

Nedal0 said:
You are better off with a Full Tower Gaming Case if you anticipate future upgrades.

Very rarely do you see anyone using M-ATX boards for a Custom PC and I was under the impression those were actually made to benefit OEM's.

If it is a Gaming PC, your best bet is a Full ATX but then again it is really up to you.
I think both will suit your needs and you should go with what you feel comfortable working with.

thank you for taking the time to reply, I think after your advice and some more thought I will go for an ATX mobo, ideally I wanted one that could 3-way sli gtx 680's(for the future) but I can't find one that fits in my budget :( 
September 30, 2012 2:35:54 PM

Ok, this may be a bit out there but I have an idea.

Step 1) Get the Asus Z77 Sabertooth and 2 MSI GTX 680 Lightning Editions.
Step 2) Overclock like a boss

3 way SLI can get messy and not always scale well in some games. 2 way is simpler and with this setup you can get close to the performance. It is also much more streamlined. I hope this helps.
!