Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU Memory Controller Speed / Ram 1600 1.65v vs 1866 1.5v

Last response: in Components
September 30, 2012 9:43:03 AM

Hi Guys,

The i5 3570k has a dual channel 1600mhz memory controller. The Gigabyte Z77-D3H mobo supports 1.5v DDR3 2400(OC)/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules.

I dont know which of the following will be better.

2 x 8GB DDR3 1600 1.65v Dominator
2 x 8GB DDR3 1866 1.5v Vengeance

Mobo Question
1. Will the mobo be able to step up to support the 1.65v ram and if so, what are the damage implications on other system components as a result of increasing the voltage 1.65v.

Cpu Questions
1. Can the i5 3570k cpu memory controller be overclocked to 1866 or is its memory controller unable to exceed 16000mhz?
2. Will the i5 3570k cpu memory controller need to be overclocked to 1866 if its memory controller is able to exceed 16000mhz?

Memory Questions.
1. Will the 1866 ram step down to 1600 in case i decide not to or turn off overclocking for a while. (I presume it would)
2. Will the 1.65v Dominitor operate at its optimum if it is given 1.5v opposed to 1.65v.
3. Will the 1.65v be more stable as i would not need to raise the voltage higher than its rated.
4. Is there considerablely faster performance with the 1866 ram vs the 1600 ram, thereby making overclocking the voltage on the 1.5v Vengeance Ram to 1.65v more performance based worthwhile. (What about damage /stability caused to the 1.5v ram as a result of increased voltage?)

Sorry, i know this sounds like an examination :/  Please answer by making to reference to a specific question, thanks :-)

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 9:47:46 AM

The motherboard will probably have no trouble with 1.65V memory, but that can kill your CPU. Beides, the 1866MHz kit is better anyway, so why risk the 1.65V 1600 kit?

Your motherboard, not CPU, decided what memory you can run. Your motherboard can undoubtedly run 1866MHz memory.

1. You can underclock the memory if you want to.
2. If you were to undervolt the 1.65V kit to 1.5V, it would probably not support its rated frequency at its rated timings.
3. It will probably not be more stable.
4. That'd depend on the program.
September 30, 2012 10:37:31 AM

thanks, ok so i understand this as:

1. I should not go for the 1866mhz ram because 1600mhz is as fast as the cpu can talk to the ram. Does this apply even when the cpu is overclocked? Can bios adjusments or processor adjustments make the cpu memory controller speed up to 1866 mhz and then be able to talk to 1866mhz ram?

So I should get 2 x 8gb 1600 1.5v ram

In what way or up to what will i be able overclock 1600mhz 1.5v ram safely in terms of mhz? I presume it would be able to overclocked with voltage up to 1.6v quite safely.
Related resources
September 30, 2012 11:05:26 AM

Your CPU can use 1866 RAM

You should not use RAM with more than 1.5v using higher voltage may damage CPU

higher frequency memory will give very little in terms of performance 2 x 8GB DDR3 1866 1.5v Vengeance kit will work at its 1866MHz on 1.5v
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 11:45:47 AM

amigomo said:
thanks, ok so i understand this as:

1. I should not go for the 1866mhz ram because 1600mhz is as fast as the cpu can talk to the ram. Does this apply even when the cpu is overclocked? Can bios adjusments or processor adjustments make the cpu memory controller speed up to 1866 mhz and then be able to talk to 1866mhz ram?

So I should get 2 x 8gb 1600 1.5v ram

In what way or up to what will i be able overclock 1600mhz 1.5v ram safely in terms of mhz? I presume it would be able to overclocked with voltage up to 1.6v quite safely.

I wouldn't want to go above 1.5V at all on the Ivy Bridge CPUs.

I'm not saying that you can't, but I wouldn't. I never said that you can't run faster than DDR3-1600 on that CPU and if you read what I' said, you'd see that I specifically stated that the motherboard, not the CPU, decided what memory it can run. So, yes, these settings are in the BIOS. The motherboard specs at Newegg state that this board supports up to DDR3-2400, so it should work with 1866.

Your last question would depend on your memory. I can't even guess, you'd have to test it yourself to find out.
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 11:52:21 AM

Basicly
Faster(mhz) = faster
lower latency = faster
lower voltage = runs cooler, can't damage your motherboard, more room for overclocking, uses less power

Get the 1866 1.5V kit.
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 11:55:11 AM

Kamen_BG said:
Basicly
Faster(mhz) = faster
lower latency = faster
lower voltage = runs cooler, can't damage your motherboard, more room for overclocking, uses less power

Get the 1866 1.5V kit.

Memory is highly unlikely to damage the motherboards these days regardless of its voltage. The CPU is what you have to watch out for with higher voltage RAM, not the motherboard.
September 30, 2012 12:22:15 PM

ok cool so i'll definately stick with the 1.5v.

A system is only as fast as its slowest point, so while the ram is 1866mhz, the cpu memory controller is stuck at 1600mhz correct? I presume the mobo will therefore run at 1600mhz and subsequently slow the ram down to 1600mhz.
September 30, 2012 12:29:58 PM

luciferano said:
I wouldn't want to go above 1.5V at all on the Ivy Bridge CPUs.

I'm not saying that you can't, but I wouldn't. I never said that you can't run faster than DDR3-1600 on that CPU and if you read what I' said, you'd see that I specifically stated that the motherboard, not the CPU, decided what memory it can run. So, yes, these settings are in the BIOS. The motherboard specs at Newegg state that this board supports up to DDR3-2400, so it should work with 1866.

Your last question would depend on your memory. I can't even guess, you'd have to test it yourself to find out.

no worries, im just trying to sum up different suggestions on this build. I've just about finalised the spec for my pc which i'll hopefully start building in a week or two :-) thanks for the advice
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 1:33:18 PM

amigomo said:
no worries, im just trying to sum up different suggestions on this build. I've just about finalised the spec for my pc which i'll hopefully start building in a week or two :-) thanks for the advice

You're welcome. Just to be sure that you get the (reasonably practical) best possible system for your money, I'll ask a few questions. Do you have any of this hardware already and if so, can you tell me what you intend to do with this computer and what parts you do not have?
September 30, 2012 4:46:03 PM

hi, im going to be using this rig primarily for gaming. Some of the games i've been looking at in the stores seem to have pretty high requirements already such as dirt 3. Also for capturing video from old hi-8 tapes and putting them on to DVD. I'll prob use it unclocked until i feel i need more power from it.

All these items are in my cart at an online store presently , so now im just waiting to get some money to buy it. Any donations welcome :-) jk

im sure this rig will see me through for a few years (i hope) and im hoping to get the correct parts first time round. The ram specs were just proving to be just a bit tricky.

GMC H-80 Case | SeaSonic JS 750w PSU | Gigabyte Z77-D3H | i5 3570k | 256G OCZ Vertex 4 SATA6 SSD | Sapphire 7850 OC 256bit 2GB | Zalman cnps11x Extreme | 2 x 8GB 1866 1.5v DDR3 (16GB) | 23" Samsung HD LED S23B370H | Creative 5.1 Speakers | MS Win 7 Pro 64bit

In a month or two: Internal Western Digital 2.5TB SATA6 7200rpm Storage Drive | Asus 12B1LT Internal Blu-Ray Reader/Writer
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 5:13:37 PM

amigomo said:
hi, im going to be using this rig primarily for gaming. Some of the games i've been looking at in the stores seem to have pretty high requirements already such as dirt 3. Also for capturing video from old hi-8 tapes and putting them on to DVD. I'll prob use it unclocked until i feel i need more power from it.

All these items are in my cart at an online store presently , so now im just waiting to get some money to buy it. Any donations welcome :-) jk

im sure this rig will see me through for a few years (i hope) and im hoping to get the correct parts first time round. The ram specs were just proving to be just a bit tricky.

GMC H-80 Case | SeaSonic JS 750w PSU | Gigabyte Z77-D3H | i5 3570k | 256G OCZ Vertex 4 SATA6 SSD | Sapphire 7850 OC 256bit 2GB | Zalman cnps11x Extreme | 2 x 8GB 1866 1.5v DDR3 (16GB) | 23" Samsung HD LED S23B370H | Creative 5.1 Speakers | MS Win 7 Pro 64bit

In a month or two: Internal Western Digital 2.5TB SATA6 7200rpm Storage Drive | Asus 12B1LT Internal Blu-Ray Reader/Writer

I don't know how long you can wait, but both AMD and Intel are supposed to get new CPU lines to market within the next few months (AMD within the next two weeks or so, I'm not sure about exactly when Intel will get their stuff out).

AMD might also have some new graphics cards out by the end of the year, but that's unconfirmed AFAIK.

Also, what hard drive model are you considering buying? I've heard some bad things about some 2.5TB drives and wouldn't want you buying one without knowing it's reliability characteristics.

Oh, and it's SATA3, not SATA6. SATA3 can also be called SATA 6Gb/s or SATA 600 and SATAIII, but SATA6 is inaccurate.
September 30, 2012 5:58:39 PM

i'd like to have it latest by 1st week november. i've read somewhere that a haswell series is due to be released. I think they'll be quite pricey for a while though.

I had a notebook drive which used to go idle and then spin up again. it was not faulty but used to just work that way. I've heard reports of the same thing happening to pc hdd as well. I cant remember which brand it was though. Most annoying thing when watching a movie (causes pause) or opening a file cause then you have to wait that second for it to spin up. I hope the Western Digitals dont do that.

Thanks for letting me know, i'll search for reviews on the 2.5TB drives closer to the time. I remember there was one particular hard drive brand which failed at different clients sites all during the same month, this was many many years ago.
September 30, 2012 6:01:57 PM

i think its also referred to as SATAIII
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 6:09:08 PM

amigomo said:
i'd like to have it latest by 1st week november. i've read somewhere that a haswell series is due to be released. I think they'll be quite pricey for a while though.

I had a notebook drive which used to go idle and then spin up again. it was not faulty but used to just work that way. I've heard reports of the same thing happening to pc hdd as well. I cant remember which brand it was though. Most annoying thing when watching a movie (causes pause) or opening a file cause then you have to wait that second for it to spin up. I hope the Western Digitals dont do that.

Thanks for letting me know, i'll search for reviews on the 2.5TB drives closer to the time. I remember there was one particular hard drive brand which failed at different clients sites all during the same month, this was many many years ago.

Stopping and starting again during use as a feature... That sounds like Western Digital's Caviar Greens. They're intended to use minimal power for a hard drive, but at the sacrifice of performance and some RAID controllers don't understand all of their power-saving features.

As for one particular line of hard drives failing ASAP, that might have been one of IBM's, a Deskstar series or something like that.
October 10, 2012 7:11:25 AM

Best answer selected by amigomo.
!