Sign in with
Your question

Advice on New ssystem

Last response: in Systems
June 3, 2012 8:20:54 PM

I'm working on piecing together a new desktop system. Aside from basic computer usage I play less demanding games such as Diablo 3, but I also write software for a living so I need a faster CPU. I chose an Ivy Bridge Core i7, and am selecting the rest of the hardware around that.

I don't really need help putting together the whole system, primarily I am looking for advice with the CPU/mobo/RAM. Those are the most important components and the most annoying/expensive to upgrade later on.

Here is what I have so far:

Intel Core i7-3770S Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 65W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770S
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GIGABYTE GA-H77-DS3H LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX

Any ideas, suggestions, critiques?

More about : advice ssystem

June 3, 2012 8:32:10 PM

zafkiller9999 said:
What is your budget?

I don't have a strict budget but would like to avoid wasting money. I'm already at $477.30 with shipping and would like to avoid spending much more than that unless there is a compelling reason.
Related resources
June 3, 2012 9:03:56 PM

you can swap out the i7 for an i5 cpu and save yourself some cash. if you have a micro center near you they have better prices on cpu and ram then new egg. the i7 have a little larger cache and there clock speeds are a little higher. if your a hard core gammer and did not want your high end video card to bottle neck then you would get an i7. for web and programing and photo editing the i5 and i7 are not much faster. I would toss is a 212 cooler..there better then the stock intel one. and i toss in a ssd. it going to make your system a whole lot faster. for video card you can get away with the new low end nvidia 610-640 video cards.there used for mostly dell and hp for light gamers. myself i toss in a 550ti or a 7770. for any build you need a case and a power supply if the case does not have one. if you stick with the 550 or 7770 one card then you want a 550-600w name brand unit. you need one dvd drive to install your os and programs. they run about 20.00 on new egg.
it made by wd now and for the price it a few dollars more then a one tb drive.
June 3, 2012 9:33:51 PM

Thanks. I was actually going to check Microcenter but forgot. They are hit and miss on a lot of things but yeah, they can have good prices on CPUs. RAM I'm not so sure about, they've been higher than Newegg in the past even considering tax/shipping whenever I've looked to upgrade a system.

I'm pretty sure I want to go with the i7 but would consider a high end i5. My laptop has an i7 and it is blazing fast both in my Eclipse and Visual Studio environments with a lot of threads going. I'm not a hardcore gamer. I play games but nothing super-demanding (Diablo 3, WoW). I know the i7 is overkill for games but that's not my reason for leaning that direction. Still, I'll look at that again. Like I said I don't mind spending money, I just don't want to waste it.

Right now I have a 1 TB HDD on order. I want an SSD, but it's just too painful on the wallet. I'm going to throw one in later and put my games and programming projects on there though, but not during the initial build.

I'm also going to invest in a good video card later on, which is why I went with a PCIe3 motherboard. For now I'll use my old one, and I'm going to buy a PSU with a minimum of 650w to ensure there's no issues later on.

Finally, I'm taking the BD-RW drive and sound card from my current system for the new one.

June 4, 2012 12:08:57 AM

Definitely check microcenter. I know they have specials with the i5/mobo combos. You get $50 off select mobo's. Not sure it works with an i7, but won't hurt to check it out.

As for the i7 vs. i5, if you are using programs that will utilize all the cores, then go for the i7. I am not familiar with those programs you use, but if they would truly take advantage of the additional cores of the i7, then get it.
June 4, 2012 12:30:42 AM

cranked said:
As for the i7 vs. i5, if you are using programs that will utilize all the cores, then go for the i7. I am not familiar with those programs you use, but if they would truly take advantage of the additional cores of the i7, then get it.

The thing is when I'm writing software using either Eclipse or Visual C++, it's good to have multiple cores. The primary difference between the i5 and i7 is the i7 is superscalar, so I effectively have 8 cores (technically not, but for a desktop as opposed to a server, close enough). For my laptop it was a no-brainer due to turboboost, which would save battery power when I was running CPU-intensive single-threaded programs. For a desktop where power isn't as big a deal, I'm starting to have doubts.

The other issue here is I'm working on an M.S. degree in computer science. I actually do run simulations and brute force algorithms for homework and will be doing much more for my thesis. So now I'm thinking i7 is the way to go. Next time my computer's pegged at 100% CPU for hours on end I'll probably regret buying an i5.

Maybe I just need to use a decision tool: flip a coin.
!