Sign in with
Your question

Issue with 7950

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 4, 2012 11:09:01 PM

There is a problem when I install the driver for the Sapphire 7950 videocard. When I install the drivers and reboot I never reach the login screen. I just hit a black screen and it never gets past that.

I have uninstalled and Installed the drivers twice already. Now I get to the login screen and inside with the integrated video card.

I don't have the CD that came with the video card. I downloaded the auto driver detect and update from AMD website and installed the driver through there.

Any suggestions on how to solve the problem?

More about : issue 7950

April 4, 2012 11:15:08 PM

mejianthao said:
There is a problem when I install the driver for the Sapphire 7950 videocard. When I install the drivers and reboot I never reach the login screen. I just hit a black screen and it never gets past that.

I have uninstalled and Installed the drivers twice already. Now I get to the login screen and inside with the integrated video card.

I don't have the CD that came with the video card. I downloaded the auto driver detect and update from AMD website and installed the driver through there.

Any suggestions on how to solve the problem?

Specs are :

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz 4000MHz Socket AM3 Six-Core 45nm Processor

PSU SEASONIC| S12II 620W BRONZE RT

HD 500G|WD SATAIII WD5000AAKX %

Two 4GB DDR3 1333 Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9

Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H Socket AM3 Micro ATX Motherboard
a c 179 U Graphics card
April 5, 2012 6:20:44 AM

Have you used a driver sweeper? That way you remove any trace of old drivers that are left behind. Also you could try rolling back to a driver that you know worked when your GPU worked.

Have you tried to go into safe mode? Another thing you could try when you first boot hit the F8 key off and on fast. It should bring up a way to restore to an early version of your settings.

You should be able to check out your options while in the menue. Here is a link to a driver sweeper. Two to choose from.

http://download.cnet.com/Driver-Sweeper/3000-2094_4-752...

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/D...
Related resources
April 5, 2012 7:37:18 PM

Thanks for your help, I got it to work with an older driver which was 12.2. Safe mode did work for me though but I couldn't uninstall or install anything.
a c 179 U Graphics card
April 5, 2012 11:02:42 PM

mejianthao said:
Thanks for your help, I got it to work with an older driver which was 12.2. Safe mode did work for me though but I couldn't uninstall or install anything.

Well thanks for telling me that at least I knew I was on the right track to help. It is always good to let the people know what the fix was. Some people don't, so you never know if you were on track. So thank you for reposting.

Also it is always good to see someone fix there own problem, so Hats off to you on a job well done and give your self a pat on the back. Good luck to you.
!