Sign in with
Your question

AsRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 with a palit gtx 560 ti

Last response: in Systems
June 3, 2012 8:43:08 PM

I am looking to build a pc, I have sorted out and bought all of the components except for the GPU. I am wondering if a Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 will fit onto the board as it requires a pci-e 2.0 x16 slot but takes up two slots while the motherboard only has only one lonely 16x slot. Here is the boards' manual: download.asrock.com/manual/Z68%20Pro3%20Gen3.pdf You can see the placement of the slot in there. If needs be I'll get a different gfx card but I'm happy to sell the motherboard and buy one with two slots next to each other, If you know of any such motherboards, I would be glad to know what they were!
Thanks in advance,
John
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2012 9:20:21 PM

You have nothing to worry about, it will fit in your motherboard.

Two slots is referring to how much space it takes (cooler), not how many PCI-E slots it needs :) 

I'll be back in a few minutes with a picture of my brother's 6870...too lazy to open my own rig at the moment :lol: 
June 3, 2012 9:23:20 PM

mocchan said:
You have nothing to worry about, it will fit in your motherboard.

Two slots is referring to how much space it takes (cooler), not how many PCI-E slots it needs :) 

I'll be back in a few minutes with a picture of my brother's 6870...too lazy to open my own rig at the moment :lol: 

Thanks! Yeah I was just wondering if the connector would be dangling in mid-air or something! Please excuse my noobyness, This is only my second ever build and the first was just me following a tutorial. :D 
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2012 9:30:37 PM

finlaymurray123 said:
Thanks! Yeah I was just wondering if the connector would be dangling in mid-air or something! Please excuse my noobyness, This is only my second ever build and the first was just me following a tutorial. :D 

You're very welcome!

my goodness...Photobucket flipped these pictures upside down...so excuse me :lol: 

here's the card itself, you can see the gold contact point at the bottom (one slot) then the cooler takes up another slot.

The card goes into the top (bottom in this case since the picture is flipped, under the grey heatsink) PCI-E slot. It only plugs in there, and the cooler part that takes the second slot, hangs over the smaller white PCI-E 4x slot.

What the card looks like installed.
June 3, 2012 9:37:46 PM

Thanks, I would have panicked and bought a lesser GPU without your help! It's good of them to factor that kind of design in with the motherboard.

John
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2012 9:41:00 PM

You're very welcome! :) 

And yes, definitely :lol:  to be honest, I stumbled on this part when I first started assembling as well. Hearing "Dual Slot card" made me panic!
!