Sign in with
Your question

How well will this system perform

Last response: in Systems
June 3, 2012 9:37:16 PM

im upgrading my gaming rig ( mobo and CPU only) and i wanted to see if it will give me good playable frames in games such as bf3 bfbc2 and mw2

"dont start saying buy this its good, swap out this for that"
im 15 i dont have all the money in the world.

ok my current system is

AMD Phenom x3 720 BE @ 2.8ghz (arctic cooling freezer 65 pro)
Asrock n68c-s ucc
6gb ddr3 1333hz ram
gigabyte nvidia geforce gt 430 OC edition
550w psu

upgrades
GA-MA790XT-UD4P motherboard http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
AMD Phenom x4 955 @3.2ghz (Prolimatech Megahalems Rev C CPU Cooler with a Akasa AK-FN057 Apache Super Silent 120mm Fan)

i know the difference between the cpu's is tiny but Ive read its better in game than the 720.

i will be upgrading in November-december time to dual ATI Radeon HD 6850 1gb in crossfire x
(i am still deciding on a psu which supports multi gpu power for under £50)

will this rig when fully upgraded with new gpus in december will i have a good gaming rig to play games at decent frames and quality

thanks

More about : system perform

a c 118 B Homebuilt system
June 3, 2012 10:16:55 PM

The GT 430 is probably the biggest hold back, when you're talking about games, the video card is usually the most important factor, no you don't want to go too cheap on a CPU, but the video card will really make or break your machine's gameability.

I would go ahead and get the quad core but MAKE SURE you're getting a Phenom II with C3 stepping (some of the 955s are C2 which your 720 is). Honestly, I would spend a couple bucks more and get a 965, some of the 965s are C2 stepping as well but the ones from Newegg definitely are C3s.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The motherboard you're looking at isn't much of an upgrade from what you have now.

I'd consider this one:

Again I say the biggest hold back is your video card, but Phenom IIs probably will not be available much longer, but I will say rather than dual 6850s, if you're buying today, just get a single 6870s with the CPU and Mobo and you'd be pleasantly surprised how much better it would game, even without a CPU and motherboard upgrade, if you only have money for 1 today, I would get the video card and worry about the CPU and mobo at a later date (towards December its very likely AMD will have the next gen Bulldozers out, or you could decide to swap to an Intel system at that time)

June 3, 2012 10:53:16 PM

jamesg2571 said:
im upgrading my gaming rig ( mobo and CPU only) and i wanted to see if it will give me good playable frames in games such as bf3 bfbc2 and mw2

"dont start saying buy this its good, swap out this for that"
im 15 i dont have all the money in the world.

ok my current system is

AMD Phenom x3 720 BE @ 2.8ghz (arctic cooling freezer 65 pro)
Asrock n68c-s ucc
6gb ddr3 1333hz ram
gigabyte nvidia geforce gt 430 OC edition
550w psu

upgrades
GA-MA790XT-UD4P motherboard http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
AMD Phenom x4 955 @3.2ghz (Prolimatech Megahalems Rev C CPU Cooler with a Akasa AK-FN057 Apache Super Silent 120mm Fan)

i know the difference between the cpu's is tiny but Ive read its better in game than the 720.

i will be upgrading in November-december time to dual ATI Radeon HD 6850 1gb in crossfire x
(i am still deciding on a psu which supports multi gpu power for under £50)

will this rig when fully upgraded with new gpus in december will i have a good gaming rig to play games at decent frames and quality

thanks

i have a core I5 2500k cpu,with a gtx 560ti video card,i play BF3 from time to time and i get quite good frame rates 50-60fps,but that game puts my card under quite heavey load and temps at high quality settings,i would not buy much less for a video card for games like that,i think i read that the gtx560 was the recomended minimum requirements for this game
Related resources
June 4, 2012 12:37:53 AM

mrclownface said:
i have a core I5 2500k cpu,with a gtx 560ti video card,i play BF3 from time to time and i get quite good frame rates 50-60fps,but that game puts my card under quite heavey load and temps at high quality settings,i would not buy much less for a video card for games like that,i think i read that the gtx560 was the recomended minimum requirements for this game

Well, the 6870 performs pretty closely for the GTX 560 TI and is substantially cheaper. But for BF3 multiplayer, I'd definitely be looking for a quad core CPU, which means the i3 is out.
June 4, 2012 12:13:42 PM

thanks for the messages, ive purchased the mobo and CPU they will arrive in the week i will purchase the cards later and see what happens

i don't know what you mean by the c2 and c3 thing but i guess a bit of googling will do the job
June 4, 2012 12:48:43 PM

The steppings are the revisions of the design. Like versions. The C2 stepping (version 2) runs hotter than the C3 (version 3s), they're just better made than the version 2s, they just run better is the short version of what I'm saying.
!