Monitor goes black, power light green

mongii

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Hi, this just suddenly happened while playing need for speed underground 2. but even tho i dont play any game it still happens sometimes. screen goes black, pc still responsive, power light on monitor still green. when this happens i turn off the monitor and its fine but after a few seconds it goes black again. i have to do this like 3-4x before monitor stays working, but after a 10-20 minutes it would just go black again.

I have a 3 year old pc.

Specs: hanns G monitor, antec earthwatts 380W, HIS 4670, windows 7 x64

anyone have idea whats causing this. this never happened before, and no funny noise coming from pc or monitor. or funny smell or anything.

with older crt when they used to go it was a cap or the tube lost a color gun...most time old monitors turned green.
on lcd/led units there just three main parts. the lcd..power board and inverter. most times when the green led light is one but the screen looks dark is that the inverter board or back light on the lcd is going bad. if you have a flash light when the monitor blanks if it the back light with a flashlight sometime you can light the screen and still see it. if it was the gpu you would be getting beep codes from the mb or it would lock up. just to be sure i would open the case and clean the dust out if any is there and check that all the fans are working. if your handy with tools you can google your monitor and see what the cost would be for parts vs a new unit..

mongii

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
okay ill do some of those, and ill get back to you guys. I updated drivers and reconnected the wires of the monitor and right now it seems to be wokring back to normal. so hopefully it was just a fluke error. anyways ill update u guys.

XmortisX

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Sounds like all is good there buddy! Just remember to keep your drivers up to date.

mongii

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Hi my problem is back. And it is happening more frequently.

I have reinstalled drivers, and have latest drivers installed. before, after a graphic driver update, the problem went away for like a month, but now its back and is more frequent. The PC is still on though when this happens so its jsut really the display thats bonkers. This problem would occur even if windows is not booted up. Cause I boot my PC into bios and let it stay there and see if my monitor would go black, and yes it still went black.

I have the monitor connected to my PC with a DVI cable.

Now i attached it to my moms laptop, also running windows 7, but this laptop does not have a DVI port so i just attached it using a D-Sub cable. and right now the monitor is running fine for about an hour now no errors, unlike when i have it connected to my PC it would most likely go blank by now.

I also inspected the graphics card, and cleaned it there are no physical dmg that i can see with it.

What do you guys think of the problem? prolly the DVI cable?

PS: PC boots fine no errors in POST or in windows no random restarts or anything.

Thanks hope someone can help.

mongii

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
never mind. Monitor went blank just after a few minutes. It less frequent tho than when i have it connected with a DVI to my computer.

And i tried Flashing a flash light into the monitor when it goes blank, and yes i can see the image of tomshardware in it.

So probably backlight or inverter problem.

How do i fix this?

Thanks!

Fthisname

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

Older post but: the drivers did nothing I believe your monitor just decided to work longer that instance. With the inverter you would normally hear a buzzing type sound. I would go with the back light. just my thoughts.