Supremacy69

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
My specs are as follows:
AMD 5000+ 2.6ghz x2
6GB DDR2 800 Ram
8800GT (Broken fan; my problem)
650W PSU

My power supply is actually basically brand new and the only problem my 8800GT has is a broken fan. Right now I'm sitting at about 90 degrees Celsius on idle. Not sure if that is safe, but I need my computer for school.

I'm wondering, with my dated system, what is the best card I can get before I begin to get into bottleneck territory? I don't really want to just buy another 8800GT without considering other options. I'm not expecting something great, but it would be nice to run something like Starcraft II on max no problem or to see a performance increase of any kind. I don't think power should be an issue with the new PSU and it has a decent wattage. My main problem with my PC is obviously the CPU, but I don't have the money to do a complete overhaul.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
hi,

If you need something affordable that will play all your games well, then go for the AMD HD6870, it will play Starcraft II maxed out, along with a lot more games. It will do fine on your PSU, but you may see some CPU bottleneck, but you should be fine besides that. What other games are you planning to play, and whats your budget?

Hope this helps!

Supremacy69

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Would you happen to have a link to that sale? On newegg all I can see are cards closer to the $200 range, which I would rather not pay that much.

Starcraft II is the main game I play but I guess Diablo III, which ran okay with the 8800gt, but was choppy during some parts. I play CS:GO, TF2, Dota 2, I might pick up Guild Wars 2, etc. Most of these aren't too demanding but I would like to get solid frame rates, which for these games I don't know if that is too much to ask for. The 8800Gt wasn't awful or anything, but if I could get a little boost it would be appreciated.